03 1.4 engine light - why ? - feebie999
On the off chance that there are any nice people out there that have a clue about cars, i would really appreciate your help. The engine light on my ford fiesta zetec has come on again. It was switched off by a garage which said it had to do with the emmision. they never gave a error code. i did the test on the dashboard and it flashes none Dtc. Does anyone know if this test is the same than the one where they hook it up to some sort of computer? the car runs fine, butI noticed that it gets really hot at the passengers foot compartment. maybe thats normal. i also noticed doing the dashboard test that when it says gage, the fuel one goes all the way up but the other dials don't budge, could they be stuck???? it works fine when driving. please please help!!!!!

Edited by Pugugly on 07/08/2008 at 21:33

03 1.4 engine light - why ? - Screwloose

Odd that it doesn't come up on the dash; but the garage was mad to just turn it off without dealing with the reason it was on - of course it will come back!

Get them to have a re-read and see if there's anything stored - something must be putting it on, unless there's a dashpod fault - very rare.
03 1.4 engine light - why ? - feebie999
took it to another garage. Reading gives P0420 error code. any clue???? It just passed Mot 3 weeks ago.
03 1.4 engine light - why ? - Screwloose

When you get a cat efficiency error code; the first check is to watch the voltages of the pre and post-cat oxygen sensors.

Once fully hot; the pre-cat should be sweeping and the post-cat fairly static; if the post-cat one is following the pre-cat's sweep rate, then the cat is suspect.

To check the cat; once fired up, the pipe temp leaving it should be around 50C hotter than the entry.