Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - oilrag
Did a service on the eco-crate today, Mobil 1, + filters and so on...

Also...
Went underneath-like a clanking old King Crab, long bones and not enough flesh, dragging on the flag stones and head with reading glasses, elastic banded on (otherwise can`t focus under 8 feet) and *Scrutinised the previously greased areas* last done 2 years ago.

Sump,
Still greased (high melting point) wiped old off. Sump like new underneath. re-applied a slather of HMP grease and rubbed in..
(Is there any better feeling in DIY than slapping a handful of grease on?)

Brake pipes,
Wiped off bentone based Castrol CL waterproof grease. Pipes like new. Re-applied.
Both of the above not needing doing again really, but re-done just because I was under there.

Observed,
Subframes and under-body seams. All still well greased, (bentone-CL) no action required.

Now, here`s the thing.. areas in *contact with heavy wheel spray* such as rear swinging arms. Still well coated in waterproof grease, no further coating required.

Previous experience,
Some proprietary stuff slithers off a hot sump like butter and just seems to disappear off heavy wheel spray areas` while the harder black stuff doesn`t contain oil to creep into the subframe and underbody seams like grease does..

High temperature and Waterproof grease then. In the correct place, the preserver of the nether regions.

I ache all over now, it may take a day or two to recover.
;)

Edited by oilrag on 05/08/2008 at 17:04

Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - moonshine {P}

I give the Supra's underbelly a good coating of a mix of oil and grease whenever I'm under there, but after reading your post I'll switch to using the waterproof grease.

Where do you buy the magical Castrol CL? I've never seen it before.
Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - Lud
Great post oilrag, poetic too. You are an example to us all.
Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - L'escargot
Will the car be acceptable for an MOT test in that condition?
Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - ForumNeedsModerating
Did a service on the eco-crate

Any particular species?
Moonshine, Halfords

Lud, Cheers

Mr Snail, They like it ;) i get praised for caring (Done to previous Doblo) at council MOT (I get discount)

Woodbines, Punto Mulijet van , bought for its lack of luxury... used as a car

Edited by oilrag on 05/08/2008 at 18:14

Moonshine, watch out for using bentone based grease on top of lithium based. there`s a reaction and it can all just turn into oil.
Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - craig-pd130

They did build the mark 1 / 2 punto bodyshells quite well too -- I can't recall seeing a rusty one, and our old '95 model is still going strong with lots of scrapes and knocks, but no rust.
Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - gordonbennet
Top man OR, and glad you're sticking to your (grease) guns..;)
It gets no easier scabbling around under the blessed motors either.

I like the grease too, but unless you can stick one of those old crustacean eyes into some cavities and do a quick swivel, will it all be lovely on the outside whilst the tin weevil buries itself from the inside out?
I suppose the ideal is to use waxoyle inside where direct abrasion is not a problem, and the heavier....grease if you insist...on places that are washed by rain splashes and spray.
Always been a bit wary of grease affecting the likes of brake flexis, rubber joints etc.
The proper product is supposed to be harmless to all those sorts.

Timely reminder to me by the way, as in the last few months we've sort of made up our mind to keep the pick up indefinitely, so i'm now deciding whether to invest in a compressor and oil spray gun to do my own....wax-(h)oyling, or whether to invest in a professional rustproofing job.
Last year, i got my indispensable MB indy to give the underside a blast over with the heavier under seal that the makers of the precious waxy stuff make, the size of the chassis and the sheer amount of surfaces of the truck make a hand pumped waxoyling a daunting task..
Last year we were undecided as to whether we might renew the truck when it reached its 3rd or 4th birthday, so didn't really want to fork out some 4 to 5 hundred for a pro job for someone else's benefit, mind you i have been servicing the thing with long term ownership in mind.
Either way i'd better get a move on, or global warming will see the frosts returning shortly, and the dreaded salt.

By the way has anyone researched professional rustproofing, there's only a handful of places that offer this service, obviously mainly to classic car owners and motor-homes etc, and a couple of em seem to have a bit of 'rivalry' with their methods and products.;)
Does no one care for their cars any more...silly question its just a disposable tool now.
GB, We always seem to have a minority interest thread when rustproofing comes up ;)

Its just the subframes really, on the Punto`s, so not that bothered about cavity injection.

That chassis sounds great! Is the whole plot built onto a ladder chassis running full length?

Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - steveo3002
regarding the pro cavity wax services

the thing that puts me off is that they steam clean the car them straight on the with treatment, okay it claims to be water dispersant , but id sooner tackle it mid summer when theres been a dry spell for a week so its all bone dry under there
Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - gordonbennet
That chassis sounds great! Is the whole plot built onto a ladder chassis running full
length?

Fraid so, huge great lump of a thing, complete with cart springs at the back, (but has limited slip diff, and needs it) but disappointingly gone all high tech at the front with independent suspension (and select 4WD on the move up to 50mph), and drive shafts with CV joints....confound it all, no swivels to pack to the gunnel's with moly grease, no manual free wheeling hubs to have to lock before you can put drive to the front...nampy pamby thing..;)
You'd like the greasable propshafts....

It seems there are still a few of us who like keeping our old and not so old vehicles in some sort of condition.

What makes the ones of us who do try to protect and nurture our cars tick?
I don't think its a simple answer, do the other eccentrics have a affinity and affection for their vehicles, is it pride, do they feel sympathy for them, do the same ones cringe when they hear that hooligan down the road revving the heart out of their vehicle from stone cold?

Steveo,
I think the steam cleaning of the vehicle before rustproofing is a discretionary thing; judging by how the vast majority of owners can't even clean the crud out of the wheelarches from one year to the next, its probably needed in most cases.
One of the 2 places i had short listed was quite happy to treat a well cared for and clean vehicle without steam cleaning, and i hadn't contacted the other to ask yet.
Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - L'escargot
Mr Snail They like it ;) i get praised for caring .......

Well, I'm not putting grease all over my car's decaying sump, because I empathise with the technician who will (no doubt) eventually have to replace it with a new one.
Grease and Rust Report-for `old waxers`-like-GB - moonshine {P}
Moonshine Halfords

Thanks, I'll pick some up next time I'm in there (not very often) or see if my local factors has some

Mr Snail They like it ;) i get praised for caring (Done to previous Doblo)
at council MOT (I get discount)

The MOT place I go to always comment on how well looked after the Supra is. Mind you they are real enthusiasts and own classics themselves so they apreciate people who waste their weekends oiling the undersides of a car :)