97 1.2 engine management light flashing - alanc2k
hi
i have a p reg corsa 1200cc engine that wont start. on turning the ignition on the engine management light starts to flash. the engine will turn over but not start. i have been told this is the imobalizer but there in no imobalizer on this, its pre imobalizer and there is no wiring for the sensor on the ignition. i can spray starter fluid in the carb and the engine will run momentarily so i no its not the ignition side of things. i have checked the fuel pump thats fine

any ideas ?

thanks alan
97 1.2 engine management light flashing - Dynamic Dave
Sorry, but you do have a factory fitted immobiliser. Thatcham Cat 2 approved from Nov 1994 (petrol) and Jan 1995 (diesel) And the light flashing is indicating that is it at fault.

Have you taken the keyfob apart recently, or dropped it? There is a small transponder chip inside that can easily fall out.
97 1.2 engine management light flashing - alanc2k
thanks dave
i am really not sure about imobillizer
i have gone round dismantlers and seen similar corsas some have wiring and a transponder around the ingnition switch
mine has neither and i am sure its an old type key without chip in it
i have a wireing diagram showing a path for none immobilliser
Well all I can say is that the only time the ECU light flashes is when there is an immobiliser related fault.
97 1.2 engine management light flashing - John S
97 Corsas certainly do have the immobiliser - my '96 had one. The chip in the key is only visible if you split the key open, and DD is right - a flashing EML is immobiliser fault. have you a spare key to try?
JS
97 1.2 engine management light flashing - Arbour
We're having a similar problem with my Corsa. It's same year (P reg) and same engine size (1200cc). The problem with mine is i had an alarm fitted about 14 months back. It had a built in immobilizer so the fatory fitted one was made redundent. I've never had a problem till about 4 days ago when i noticed the EML flashing when the car was not started. I looked in the manual, Which stated that the car would not start etc etc. I tried starting it and it started without any problems, Over the last few day's the light kept been normal the flashing again, Until today when it came on whilst driving the car. After letting the car settle for a few hours i went out and started it up, The car worked fine for around 5 minute's only then to start flashing for a while then back to normal.

Could this be a loose wire some where??? Or is the car having problems???
97 1.2 engine management light flashing - Screwloose
Arbour

Flashing while the engine is running is a different warning; it can be a sign that there's a code stored with catalyst-damaging potential.

A code-read is the next step; you may be able to do it yourself if this one has flash-codes.
Isn't this too early a Vauxhall for the ecu light to be flashing with the engine running?

I thought at around this period of production the light does one of two things when there is a fault. That being to flash if immobiliser related (and only flashes when the engine isn't running) or to be constantly illuminated if there is a fault present.
97 1.2 engine management light flashing - Screwloose
DD

Yes; by rights, it shouldn't be doing it. It was all that I could think of....

[Maybe it's had a software update...?]
97 1.2 engine management light flashing - angelssatan
i have a similar problem. i have recently fitted a new starter motor and reconnected the battery and since then the engine management light is constantley on it will not turn over or engage the relay does not activate so it seems that there is no power going to the starter. i have a 1995 vauxhall corsa that is getting really annoying.
i have a similar problem.

Presumably the car starts if you bump start it?

What was happening prior to changing the starter motor?
all i had was a horrible whirring noise from the knackered starter i had it checked. after i put the new starter on and reconnected the battery the light was on admitadly i did have the battery off for a while. any ideas what problem could be pal and how to solve it. i have already tried disconnecting the immobiliser and the light flashes so i dont think thats the problem but i could be wrong.
i havent tried bump starting it but it doesnt try ticking over when you turn the key. i get dash lights and everything else it just seems to me that there is no power going to the starter motor. is there a fuse anywere that controls the starter?
No fuse that I am aware of. Starter motor draws a lot of current, so I doubt there is one.

Have you rechecked the connections to the starter motor?
yeah i have checked a few times still nothing.
i now also have a problem with the immobiliser on my car now any way to find and solve the problem as cheaply and quickly as possible
Where's Topbloke and Bell Boy when you need them?
no idea. anything you can think of to find and solve the problem pal. the stupid car is really annoying me
97 1.2 engine management light flashing - fillers

Hi check on drivers side down at trottle ped right side casing remove it and check ecu box + fule reglater box colour orange check if all contacks good then check under back seet lift up and remove carpet you see round black cover remove and under is petrol pump ,

then get sombody to turn egnition over but first you must put your ear on top of petrol pump and see if it is noising when engine is been turned over if it is theirs power going to pump =if not no power going to pump check reley. and immobilizer.

97 1.2 engine management light flashing - fillers

Hi did you get ur opel corsa starting?

if u did what was the problem and was info any help?