2004 1.8 colour-code the bumpers and door moulding - KevHull87
I am looking to colour-code the bumpers and door mouldings on my Ford Focus and would like to know if spraying over the original black plastic mouldings, or buying replacement parts which were already painted (for a different colour, as they did not make ST170's in tonic blue), then spraying the parts the colour of my car?
2004 1.8 colour-code the bumpers and door moulding - Simon
You can paint the originals as long as you use the correct products and use the correct techniques. One thing though - are the original bumpers textured?
2004 1.8 colour-code the bumpers and door moulding - KevHull87
The bumpers are yes, but the side mouldings would be ok to paint looking at them, as long as its done properly.

I've heard the plastic can be smoothed-off for the same texture as a painted moulding, any ideas how much this could be?
2004 1.8 colour-code the bumpers and door moulding - Simon
>>I've heard the plastic can be smoothed-off for the same texture as a painted
>>moulding, any ideas how much this could be?

It depends on the technique used. I would personally prime up the bumpers with either plastic primer or adhesion promoter and then spray them with a few coats of hi-build primer too. Then after a decent flat down of the primer once dry you should end up with smooth bumpers onto which the colour coat can be applied. Its not a hard job, but is very labourious. As for cost, in a professional bodyshop it would probably cost around £150 just to get the bumpers primed and flatted and left ready to be painted.