Removing Oil Filters - buzbee
To remove the oil filter during my next oil change I decided life would be easier, when lying under the car, if I bought an appropriate socket cap that fits over the end and facilitates its unscrewing using a 3/8 square ratchet spanner inserted into the end of the cap.

So far so good except I found I wasted much time visiting several likely local stockists, even Halfords, without finding one, unless I was prepared to buy the kit of about 12 or so.

Also found it very difficult on the web via Google to locate one my size only to find, when it arrived, it did not fit! Why? Because the size they specified was for an 'across the points' measurement, rather than an across the flats, as you would expect when specifying a hex nut.

Otherwise the socket was surprisingly cheap at only £4.50 before the postage.

In practise the company were very good about this and quickly assured me a correct size one for me is in the post. It also took my measurement query to heart and is reviewing the descriptions.

(An interesting one would be for an odd number of flats (if they exist) because that would be from a flat to an opposite point, but most of us would get that one right.)
Removing Oil Filters - J Bonington Jagworth
I'm not sure I would have expected oil filters to be made that precisely (or to be consistent across brands), which is probably why I use an old screwdriver, if I can't undo the thing by hand. If the filter's clean, a Marigold glove usually affords enough grip, as long as the person doing it up didn't have a socket like yours!
Removing Oil Filters - Stuartli
Are you referring to the strap type?

www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/subprod/oil-changing-000...x
Removing Oil Filters - Manatee
This type I think, which is what I use -

www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=375&item=1694

I bought mine singly in Halfords 3 or so years ago and they still had them last week. Also readily available on the big auction.

Edited by Manatee on 29/07/2008 at 23:55

Removing Oil Filters - buzbee
"not sure I would have expected oil filters to be made that precisely"

Neither did I until I did some measuring of a 14 flats, 65 mm dia (of the round part) one and found 64 mm ---- simulated using a vernier gauge --- would grip it for unscrewing but 65 mm, of course would not and 63 would not go on at all. The vernier said 64 AF exactly!

The reason for such a small difference is each flat is such a small indentation. The filter designer should have used less, and so had larger, flats.

" This type I think"

Yes that is the exact style. A 76 mm one is easier to find.

Of the band type, I found the dimpled steel band type, that you tighten with a thumb screw through the handle, was better for gripping than a chain one. Trouble was, due to the small angular movement in the space provided, there was a lot of unscrewing and screwing up again.

Whereas you can make sure the cap fits OK on a new filter before you have to use it.
Removing Oil Filters - David Horn
What's wrong with the ol' brute force and ignorance approach of hammering a screwdriver into it? I did have a strap thing that was supposed to help undo them, but it was rubbish.
Removing Oil Filters - Cliff Pope
I use a tool with a loop of chain on a kind of 1/2" socket. It works well in most locations, eg where there is no clearance at the end of the filter for the prong type.
Also it would have general use for undoing things, or rotating something circular. Perhaps freeing a post from the ground.
The disadvantage of bashing a screwdriver through is that it releases a spout of scalding hot oil in an unpredictable direction.
Removing Oil Filters - wemyss
And if the screwdriver didnt work its a tow away job to a garage.
Removing Oil Filters - L'escargot
............ 'across the points' .......

"Across the corners" or "across corners" is the usual term for this dimension. tinyurl.com/5rncvo
Removing Oil Filters - yorkiebar
Buzbee, I think the tool you are descibing is for the housing of the element type oil filters.

They are a standard size (various sizes on different cars etc), but unlikely that every metal canister oil filter for 1 car will be the same size.

You might have got lucky of course but I think youve got the wrong tool for the job. (but if itworks its no problem! :) )
Removing Oil Filters - Manatee
Buzbee I think the tool you are descibing is for the housing of the element
type oil filters.

That's what I use mine for - but Shirley, if there are flats on the end of a cartridge filter they can't be for anything else?