98 1.9td engine temp - northy44
Just bought a 1998 306 Turbo diesel. Runs fine, good power but am a bit concerned that the engine temp seems a bit cool. Have looked at forum before and 80 - 85 seems a good temp but mine is running at more like 70 when fully warmed up.. Should this be a cause for concern, should I attend to it would it cause low MPG or anything worse.

I know it could be a stupid question but any advice appreciaited.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/07/2008 at 19:34

98 1.9td engine temp - andyh2b
Hi,
I have the same car which I bought from a friend who had it from new. Mine two runs sub 80 and has done all its life apparently. Did consider investigating / replacing thermostat etc but decided against it. After 10 years and 130k of service at that temp, it ain't broke so dont fix it.
98 1.9td engine temp - stevegee
What happens when you start and run the engine from cold?
If the thermostat is operating normally it will rise from cold and peak 90C then the thermostat will open and it will drop to 70+ and stay there unless you give it a bootful and get the turbo running hard and it might peak 90C on steep hills in a low gear.
98 1.9td engine temp - Martin1981
It does sound to me like the thermostat could be faulty. I believe they are cheap and relatively easy to replace so it's worth doing.

The theromostat on my old 306 1.9TD used to open at around 88 deg and then drop to 80 where it would remain until I got stuck in traffic on a hot day or climbed a long steep hill with four on board.

Martin