93 2.8 Emissions problems - Kermit69
Hello all. I was wondering is someone on here can help me.
I have a Renault Espace 1993 L reg petrol 2.849cc .

Problem: Not passing emissions test for mot

Took vehicle previously to a different mot station and it failed on middle box blowing among other things. Please note at this time it passed all tests on emissions.

I have since replaced the middle section & back box with others bought from ebay (second hand but newish).

This time i took the espace to another mot station as the 10 days was up for retest and other station was £5 cheaper!
Problem is it keeps failing on the emissions now. They said get a new lambda sensor, so i did, they fitted it, guess what - it still fails!

the only part of the exhaust system that hasnt been replaced id the cat but they say it seems fine.

Could there be a problem with the middle section or rear section i have replaced which is giving false readings? The middle sectiond DOES have a small dent in it but i would imagine this shouldnt be a problem?

Any suggestions would be welcome as i am not sure what to do next.

93 2.8 Emissions problems - caine
You are at the wrong end.perfectly feasable for leaking exhaust to pass emissions and then fail on retest.Holes in exhausts let gases out or in changing tail readings.Suggest you get car code read for stored/live faults.Not all faults flag the warning light.presumming all else is good.plugs/leads/filters.
93 2.8 Emissions problems - Kermit69
Ah, funny you should say that, as just this morning i have had the espace put on a machine for such faults but the guy said he not getting any reading at all from the lambda sensor. I told him it a new one and he said it might not be compatiable or that the ecu could be faulty.
The lamda sensor is compat as it exactly the same as old one.......
93 2.8 Emissions problems - Screwloose

If you have no reading at all[??] from the oxygen sensor; then maybe a check of the wiring betwwen sensor and ECU would be a good place to start.

This is an old Renault....

To check the cat; measure the temp of the pipe going in and the temp of the pipe coming out.