90 or 110 TDI? - Andy Hemingway
I am currently looking to purchase a Audi / VW / Seat TDI. I am after a bit of help when trying to identify if the car is a 90 or 110 BHP model. I have just had the situation where I have been to look at a car, and was told it was the 110 model, but after a 35 mile drive to see / test drive the car I found the engine to be very flat in power for a 110 (either had a hard life or it was a 90). Are there any visable signs or engine numbers I can ask the owner for before going to view the vehicle?
Re: 90 or 110 TDI? - andrew smith
Based on my A4 there should be a plate in the engine bay and in the boot either in or near the spare wheel well which will detail the Power Output in kW.
This should be repeated in the service book if one is present.
I'm now sure what 110 bhp is in kW but my 150bhp engine translates to 110kW.

Second and easier -- on VW's the Tdi badge will be silver for a 90, it will have a red i for a 110 and have a red Di for a 115. I don't think this applies to Seats or Audi's
Re: 90 or 110 TDI? - John Slaughter
Yes, that's about right - 1 bhp = 0.746kW, or 1PS (the 'continental bhp') = 0.750 kW.

So, 150bhp = 112 kW, 110bhp = 82kW, 90bhp = 67 kW.

Regards

John
Re: 90 or 110 TDI? - simon
I've got an Audi 1.9 tdi 110, and the little i on the badge at the back is red
Re: 90 or 110 TDI? - Guy Lacey
Don't be fooled. You can pick up a TDI with red I or even red DI (even better) for about £7 from your reputable VAG dealer. Stick it on your 90bhp model and *BANG* an extra £3000 on the windscreen price.

Best way is to check handbook against VIN plate but even then not bulletproof.

You should be able to notice the difference in the drive.

90bhp is a 1.6 Ford Orion.

110bhp is MkI/II 8V Golf GTI.

Easy!

(but not so in an estate weighing 1500kg!)