08 1.4 HDi oil draining - MadVlad
Hi,

My wife has a 1.4 HDi Peugeot 207. I'd like to do an oil change as we bought the car new and plan to keep it a while. Problem is that I had a quick look underneath and can't locate the oil drain plug in the sump. I didn't have time to do a thorough check but I'm beginning to wonder if there's one at all. Does anyone know for sure? I know that suction is popular among places that do express servicing but I can't believe that a manufacturer would design a car around it...

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/07/2008 at 20:44

08 1.4 1.4 HDi oil draining - Number_Cruncher
>>I can't believe that a manufacturer would design a car around it...

You should have a nosy in MB and BMW workshops then!

Sucking the hot oil out is an excellent, and clean way to do the job, and so effective that in many cases, if you were to undo the drain bolt afterwards, nothing would drip out!

08 1.4 1.4 HDi oil draining - yorkiebar
Mind if I disagree with you NC?

08 1.4 1.4 HDi oil draining - Number_Cruncher
Not at all yb, be my guest!

It would be dull indeed if we all thought the same!

08 1.4 HDi oil draining - Dynamic Dave
Unless it's done quite a few miles, isn't it a bit early to be considering changing the oil?

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=13 (the last paragraph on the risks of changing too early)

Also, be careful not to invalidate the manufacturers warranty.
Its got 20,000 mile service intervals, and having covered nearly 10,000 miles at this stage (bought in January). I'd like to change it just to look after it. I'm planning to use Castrol Edge and a Peugeot oil filter.
08 1.4 HDi oil draining - Screwloose
MadVlad

Didn't you want to keep the warranty then?
I don't see any impact on the warranty - the car will still be serviced by a main dealer at the recommended service intervals. My interim oil change will use materials that are to recommended specifications. It can only benefit the engine - where's the harm?
08 1.4 HDi oil draining - Screwloose

If the vehicle is maintained/repaired by other than a VAT-registered garage; then the warranty is void.
08 1.4 HDi oil draining - mfarrow
If the vehicle is maintained/repaired by other than a VAT-registered garage; then the warranty is
void.

Change the oil and not the filter - they'll never know.
08 1.4 HDi oil draining - oilrag
"Sucking the hot oil out is an excellent, and clean way to do the job, and so effective that in many cases, if you were to undo the drain bolt afterwards, nothing would drip out!"

My experience exactly. It really whips the hot oil out in under a minute and then sucks and `scavenges`on the sump bottom.

Fair enough if someone doesn`t like this method, for whatever reason.

But I think if the force and speed of the suction extraction, on hot oil, were seen for the first time it may be more convincing to others more accepting of the procedure.
08 1.4 HDi oil draining - yorkiebar
Seen it. Seen inside sump after it removed too after extraction of oil. Have you?

Thats the reason (amongst others) for my opinion.

Probably ok for first 2 or 3 changes from brand new (this 1 is agreed), but I would never do it to my own vehicle new or old!
08 1.4 HDi oil draining - oilrag
Surely though if sludge is forming in the engine, its all over the engine internals?

I mean, to the oil pick up screen, the method of sump draining would seem irrelevant as the flow of oil through the screen during normal running coats it (when oil is sludging) in a substance that any draining method will not remove.

Whenever draining oil from our own cars over the decades, by the sump plug removal method, there has never been anything other than liquid oil in the bottom of the old washing up bowl I used to decant by funnel after the change.

That`s evidence enough for me, that there is nothing else in there unable to come out by suction!

regards