1996 1.9TD Radio jumping stations - burge
When switching on the radio on the morning it works fine, but as soon as the steering wheel is moved the radio changes station flicking through all the progammed in stations and some that are not, you never get to the end of a sentence before it moves on, this will go on for about 15 to 18 miles before settling down.(of course the steering wheel is on the move constantly) any shorter journeys then forget about listening. if its been a hot sunny day when you get in the car to return home it works fine. there is volume and station controls on the steering wheel so it could be a link between this and the problem. please help!!
1996 1.9TD Radio jumping stations - mjm
I think you have diagnosed you own problem. It would appear that the wiring loom between the steering wheel and the rear of the radio has developed a short, giving the radio instructions to keep "seeking". The steering wheel controls are usually plugged into the back of the radio on their own plug. I would start by unplugging them and see what happens. If it cures the problem then the decision is whether to leave the steering wheel contols inoperative or trace the fault.

I'm at work at the moment, if you need to know how to get the radio out, post back and I'll have a look in the book this evening.
Yes please, I have looked at the radio but cannot decide how it comes out.

Edited by burge on 16/07/2008 at 15:44

1996 1.9TD Radio jumping stations - RichardW
Pull out the ashtray and remove the tray part (this is the trickiest bit - the clip's underneath, but the tray lifts out or something, can't remember exactly). Remove the two screws now uncovered under the heater controls, and carefully pry off the heater / radio surround. Now just remove the two torx screws either side of the radio and it will pull out. Unless you have the code, don't remove the wiring connector with the thickest (ie power) cables in it.

It sounds like the wiring connector at the back of the steering wheel is failing - a bit awkward to change as you have to take the air bag and steering wheel off.
Managed to get Radio out last evening and found one loom to it with 3 plugs in the back, bottom black one turn out to be power so had to put in code, middle one is white that supplied speakers, top one black is the one now disconnected. (it was a pleasure to hear a whole conversation this morning) Thanks to you all for the help.