My Recent Driving Trip to France - BobbyG
Just back from an eventful driving holiday in France and thought I would share some observations, experiences etc. This is probably my 5th or 6th driving holiday to France and, being brutally honest, most of the enjoyment of France itself is rapidly diminishing. There was a recent thread on here extolling the virtues of France but having previously been its biggest supporter, I am now not as convinced.

Accident
There were 3 families in 3 cars. Just North of Paris on the Motorway, car 3 was involved in an accident. Going down the middle lane, overtaking car in inside lane when it decided to come out to middle lane and performed a perfect American style ?PIT? manoeuvre on my friends, resulting in their Scenic somersaulting 3 times across the motorway, clearing the crash barrier at the edge, landing ten feet up the embankment and then sliding down into the gully below, upside down. Miraculously, front passenger was able to open her door and climb out with only a few scratches and bruises. The driver and other two passengers didn?t fare as well although, there was not a single broken bone between them, some heavy bruising, some extensive stitches (or staples initially) and several black eyes. It is not very pleasant seeing your friends? car somersault across the motorway in your rear view mirror!

Full compliments to the emergency services who were, quite literally, on the scene within 4 minutes. Don?t know who phoned them but great response. Unlike in Britain, the road was not all closed off, instead they used industrial style leaf blowers to blow all the debris over to the hard shoulder and let the traffic continue to flow. Also thanks to all the hospital staff at Compiegne who were absolutely magnificent.

Compliments must also go to Renault for building such a strong car, it was the new shape Scenic so possibly 5* NCAP rating but I am not sure if rollover tests are done but that certainly held strong. I personally believe that perhaps they were fortunate that the car rolled and took some ?energy? out of the speed rather than hitting a barrier or another car at 70 mph. One word of caution though, and we have all done it especially going on holiday. Try and keep as many items as possible in secure bags / holdalls. When a car is involved in a crash, especially rolling over, every little item in that car becomes a missile ? ipod, phones, DVD player, bottles of juice ? the list is endless but remember if you are travelling at 70mph so are they! Also, don?t be tempted to slouch, twist, lie across seats in any position that the seat belts won?t work properly. My friends were lucky that they were all sitting correctly at time of accident. My wife in particular, always had a habit on long journeys of putting her feet up on the dash ? not anymore!

Millau Bridge
Due to being delayed at Hospital for a few days, by the time we got on our way to drive South to the Med, it meant that we crossed the Millau Bridge at 10.30pm. This was to be one of the ?highlights? of the holiday but it could have been any road at that time! However, later in the holiday we drove up to it again so that my Top Gear obsessed son could get his picture taken at it (yes we had to play ?Jessica? on the stereo as we crossed it). There is a great viewing point on the North side of the Bridge with information centre etc. However if, like us you visited it from the South, it means you need to pass through the tolls twice to get back the way you came , toll is 7.40 Euros each time. (However you can avoid this if you are prepared to drive over a few kerbs which separate the North and Southbound roads in the viewing area!)

Not long after we crossed the bridge Southbound we were passed by a fleet of motorcyclists who were obviously trying to make the most of the twisties down that part of the route. It looked so much fun, I bet the adrenalin was pumping through them faster than their bikes were going!

Channel Tunnel back home
We were fortunate to follow a Porsche GT3 and an Aston Martin onto the Tunnel Train and this made my son?s day, especially when I asked the drivers if he could have his picture taken behind each wheel which they duly obliged. Isn?t it great when simple gestures like that can make a wee boy?s day, and holiday! Turns out every two years these guys, with 9 of their mates take off for a week in their exotic cars across Europe ? this week they met up at the Maranello factory before spending 6 days driving various roads including ones that Top Gear had used. Sounds like heaven!

Satnav
As I got my TomTom710 last summer I deliberated over whether to buy updated maps for it but decided against it. As it turns out this was the correct decision as the TT worked perfectly the whole trip, not once having to refer to the map or written route instructions.

France
Re France itself, we have always liked France as it was relatively cheaper, especially diesel but you could also eat out quite cheaply and the hypermarkets always had bargains. This year, partly due to the Euro rate, we found it extremely dear. Diesel varied from 1.4 to 1.6 Euros per litre so not really a huge saving on GB, if any at all. Cite Europe had ran out of diesel when we first arrived though!
The hypermarkets now are very similar to what we have back home with Tesco Extras etc, there is no more element of ?what will I find this time? whilst browsing. Other than booze, prices were dearer than back home especially meats.

French cars and driving
I was expecting to see a lot of French cars that maybe don?t sell as well over here eg. Peugeot 1007, Citroen C6 etc but I did not see a single C6 which surprised me. I did see one of the new Renault SUVs which looked quite appealing.
The French motorway driving seems to have changed slightly as well. On previous trips, when any car was in the outside lane, it would have its indicator on. Nowadays it seems to be that they only put the indicator on once they want to overtake the car in front of them that is also in the outside lane! And they try to enforce this by going closer to them but also moving further over in the lane. Can be intimidating until you get used to it. But the really annoying thing is they also use their indicators if they are in the middle lane overtaking a vehicle on the inside lane. So if you are in outsie lane and vehicle in middle lane is indicating left, you do not know if they are going to pull out in front of you or whether they are just overtaking the vehicle in inside lane! Very disconcerting!

Overall we did 2700 miles and I averaged 41.5mpg in my Seat Altea XL 2.0TDi which wasn?t too bad considering a/c on , heavily laden and most done at cruise control speed of 77 or 80mph. Prior to going I set my ipod on shuffle and kept it on that for the whole journey and it still hadn?t got back to the beginning yet!

And before going, after taking advice on here, I heavily polished the front of the car. When we finally reached the Med the front was absolutely thick with insects but a bucket of water and a cloth soon had them removed in no time!

So overall, enjoyed the holiday (eventually), didn't enjoy the driving as much as I usually do and it certainly was a lot more expensive that usual. Think next year it will be Flights to the Sun :(
My Recent Driving Trip to France - Statistical outlier
Good report, very sobering to hear about stupid driving having such serious consequences, but great that everyone survived (relatively) unscathed.

Have you any idea what caused the car to roll rather than slide? Heavy loading, or hitting an uneven piece of road, or just plain bad luck?
Gordon really don't know. To be honest details are a bit sketchy other than the car coming into the side of them.
On one hand the Scenic is a (slightly) higher car than others so perhaps higher centre of gravity. On the other hand it was weighted down with luggage for a fortnights holiday.
This could have made it roll, I don't know.
All four wheels were not only ripped off the car but the wheels themselves were smashed, literally.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - jbif
other than the car coming into the side of them

Did the driver of other car stop and what did he/she have to say?
Has it been sorted by the Insurance companies, or it is too early to settle the blame, etc. ?

Well this is where it gets interesting!
Police obviously called recovery service who dragged the car out the gulley and took it away. However, the ins co are still trying to find the car, they have been in contact with French police who are fully co-operating but there seems to be problems somewhere along the lines!

Don't know if the other person stopped, there were certainly a couple of cars stopped and police fully questioned them. Once my friend was fit enough to be interviewed 3 days later, police came to hospital and took full statement and asked my friend if they would be wanting to pursue action against the other driver. At no point did the police (through the doctor interpreter) indicate whether they had the other person's details or what they had said.

It is one of these things, at the time all that matters is your health, getting better etc its only a week after, when you have been flown back home, that all these other things start to become more important. Ins co, on the face of it, are doing all they can to establish all the facts etc but, understandably, this may take time.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - shawad
Have you any idea what caused the car to roll rather than slide? Heavy loading
or hitting an uneven piece of road or just plain bad luck?

The laws of physics, captain?

A car isn't designed to suddenly travel sideways at 70MPH (or probably higher given it was in France), the tyres were more than likely ripped off the rims, which when hitting the road would effectively stop the bottom half of the car, while the top half continued on at 70MPH. The result from seeing PIT manouvres on 'Police, Camera, Action' type TV shows always seems to be a sudden and violent roll.

I'd guess on most cars (unless the centre of gravity is between the wheels) they'd roll at that speed.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - skorpio
Intersting report and well written. Did you see the Tonight program on ITV last night?

All about driving abroad and the horrible things that can happen if you don't take heed of their road signs and unique driving rules. Very interesting.
Made me realise some of our driving laws aren't that bad afterall.
I didn't see it but got a text from my friend telling me about it and how he would be switching the channel over!
My Recent Driving Trip to France - mike hannon
I'm not surprised to see that OP will be going somwhere else next year, because France is now very expensive, particularly for Brits exchanging pounds for euros.
As predicted earlier this year, the B and B business in France in particular seems to have been badly damaged by the soaring euro - chambres d'hotes in this part of France (SW) are quieter than anyone can remember. Rather than try to make France more attractive to Brits already suffering a squeeze on incomes the European Central Bank and, by association, the French government, seem happy to see everyone suffer.
Having lived in France for some years we are less affected than many, but it still all seems very sad to me.
BTW - the best way to see the Millau viaduct is to go down into the town and look up. And if the toll seems expensive, it isn't when you know how much time the new route saves on your way to and from the south. Having said that, tolls on all French autoroutes seem to have shot up this year - we have just returned from a brief Blighty run and I was amazed at how much more the convenience of the autoroute now costs.

Edited by mike hannon on 15/07/2008 at 15:54

Mike, agree with you re the cost.
Re Millau, unfortunately I didn't go into the town itself and now everyone tells me that this is the only way you can fully appreciate the sheer size of the structure. If there is a next time, I will do it then!
Re the cost, I don't object in the slightest to the toll, I remember being stuck for hours on the old road trying to head south. As a toll it is fine, its just that on that particular day, with me choosing to visit it and go back, paying double toll wasn't too appreciated!
My Recent Driving Trip to France - Alby Back
Gosh Bobby, what an experience. Serves to remind us all how a moments inattention on someones part can have the most dire consequenses. I hope your friends are making a good recovery.

It's funny you should say that you enjoyed yourselves less than previously. I suppose some of that reaction must of course have been as a result of the unexpected problem. I do though, understand what you mean. I was always a great fan of taking the car to mainland Europe rather than flying. Both holidays and business trips always seemed more of an "adventure" somehow if you drove yourself. Recently however, I seem to prefer to fly. Can't really say why, as airports are nowadays just about the most undignified process you can subject yourself to while willingly paying for it. Driving abroad just doesn't seem to give the same sense of freedom as it did.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 15/07/2008 at 21:10

My Recent Driving Trip to France - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have just been to Italy and had a flight, a Hertz hire car and 1/2 board in a good hotel for £425, each. This was the North end of Lake Garda; there is no way I could have had that holiday for anywhere that price if I had taken the ferry/tunnel and driven my own car, even from within an hour of Dover.

I tend to fly and hire now; I agree the airports and the LoCo airlines are a bit dire but once you get there you find yourself in a 6 month old car with the steering wheel on the correct side!

I am driving to France/Belgium next month as one can't easily fly to Brugge and I want to fill the car with Vino Collapso, beer and smelly cheese on the way back!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 15/07/2008 at 21:41

My Recent Driving Trip to France - PhilW
"I have just been to Italy and had a flight, a Hertz hire car and 1/2 board in a good hotel for £425, each"

How long was holiday AS ??

"I am driving to France/Belgium next month as one can't easily fly to Brugge and I want to fill the car with Vino Collapso, beer and smelly cheese on the way back!"

And this is the crux of the matter - depends on what type of holiday you want and where as to whether fly/drive is the best or driving there.

The holiday was one week/7 nights. When I researched the individual costs of the three elements of the holiday I couldn't have constructed the package myself for less. I didn't look into the BA flights (Gatwick to Verona) but the hotel was £110 a night for the room and half board, so that alone was what I paid the agent for the whole holiday ie the flights and car were 'free'. At my age, and with a partner who doesn't drive abroad, I am unable to regard the journey, by car, as part of the holiday. The flight is hell but only last 5 hours overall - not 2 days! Excellent hotel can be found by Googling "Hotel Lucia + Lake Garda" sensational location and views and the area features in the new Bond film. They wrecked 2 Astons during the shooting!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 15/07/2008 at 22:15

Sounds excellent AS - and you are right of course - week at Garda not really possible by driving - by time you get there it would be time to come back! Garda is lovely - spent a fair bit of time there many years ago ( first visit 1963, last time was about 1992ish usually near Malcesine - must go back). I remember the hot days and also the thunderstorms at night, watching the lightning pinging off the metal veranda over the bar while having a bottle of the local vino!
Phil
My Recent Driving Trip to France - oldgit
Sounds excellent AS - and you are right of course - week at Garda not
really possible by driving - by time you get there it would be time to
come back! Garda is lovely - spent a fair bit of time there many years
ago ( first visit 1963 last time was about 1992ish usually near Malcesine - must
go back). I remember the hot days and also the thunderstorms at night watching the
lightning pinging off the metal veranda over the bar while having a bottle of the
local vino!
Phil

Also went to Malcesine on Lake Garda, many moons ago, now. Drove down there from Calais but that was when driving was something exotic and exiting and not so mundane as it is nowadays. Stayed at an hotel just outside Malcesine called Lago di Garda (or something like that) which had a lovely lakeside walk intto Malcesine.
Only downside of the stay there was a boat trip onto the lake, one afternoon, when we nearly could have drowned. We hired a boat with outboard motor and at the time the weather looked clement, but when we were someway out, a storm came out of nowhere, from the north and made the water very, very choppy.
We had great difficulty getting back to Malcesine and some boats came out to help us return. Never again, needless to say. I though we were gonners - I couldn't swim and still can't.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - bbroomlea{P}
>>Sounds excellent AS - and you are right of course - week at Garda not >really possible by driving - by time you get there it would be time to come >back! Garda is lovely - spent a fair bit of time there many years ago ( first >visit 1963, last time was about 1992ish usually near Malcesine - must go >back). I remember the hot days and also the thunderstorms at night, >watching the lightning pinging off the metal veranda over the bar while >having a bottle of the local vino!
>Phil

I will be there next week. Getting the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam on Sunday, overnight stay at Munich on Monday and then over the Alps on Tuesday to Malcesine. Cant wait!

Looking at the weather they do seem to get thunderstorms coming out of nowhere so will have to keep an eye on those and not leave the roof of the MG when unattended!

Back to the original thread though, Im glad everyone is OK and praise to the Scenic for standing up to such a smash
My Recent Driving Trip to France - yorkiebar
Glad to hear you are all ok. Everything else is replaceable.

Dont want to minimise the accident, or otherwise offend you, but that accident could have happened anywhere including in England.

Shame it ruined a trip, but dont let it put you off enjoying the europe experience.

Its dearer now than it should be, but (imo) there is still a lot to be enjoyed over there. That includes other europe countries too.
BobbyG,
You don't seem to be having a lot of luck this year - main thing is that family is OK - metal things and houses can be repaired so lets hope the latter part of the year and the future is good for you.
Hope you feel like going to France next holiday - as yorkiebar says, there is a lot to be enjoyed
Best wishes
Phil
My Recent Driving Trip to France - rtj70
Wow. Glad all safe!

Back in July 2006 we had a bad accident in Italy and the Italian emergency services were also excellent. Ambulance, police, emergency room, CAT scan, etc. In fact due to seriousness the traffic police stayed with us almost all day even after taking a statement. And their boss turned up too! Quite I bad accident that shut some autostrada around Milan though.

After a year "investigating" they found the HGV driver to blame.... and that closed that episode that could have been worse.

BobbyG just forget about it and move on I think. We never knew what happened but I lost consciousness after head trauma.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - skorpio
Been there, done that on my honeymoon a few years back. Spectacular place. Some of the narrow mountain roads are fun. Reminded me of the opening sequence of the Italian Job, although not as much fun when driving a Lancia 'Dodo' 1.2 whilst the aircon was wheezing at full blast!
My Recent Driving Trip to France - BazzaBear {P}
BTW - the best way to see the Millau viaduct is to go down into
the town and look up.

I will be driving via Millau next month for exactly this reason, and was intending on going in to the town as you suggest (and probably even staying the night there).
If I'm coming from the North, am I best going into town before crossing the bridge, or after?

I assume before, but thought I'd ask someone in the know to be sure.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - oldnotbold
"I am driving to France/Belgium next month as one can't easily fly to Brugge"

And since Bruges is an easy 1hr 20 from Calais, it's not exactly a hardship. Look up Bergues, about 15 mins S of Dunkirk. A small fortified town that also has canals!
Thanks ONB, that looks like an interesting side trip on the way back to Calais!
My Recent Driving Trip to France - jc2
To go thro' Millau coming from the north,you exit the autoroute immediately before the tolls.
Yes, go down into Millau first.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - jc2
Also worth a look if you're using that autoroute is Eifel's"Viaduct du Garabit" built in the 19th.C.Clearly signposted-you leave autoroute at junction before and rejoin at next junction in either direction-probably only adds two miles.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - Alby Back
Also worth a look if you're using that autoroute is Eifel's"Viaduct du Garabit"

Yes that has become a landmark for us on our Summer trips. Can't stop my eight year old calling it the "Gay Rabbits Bridge" unfortunately. Looks like his sense of humour is not going to be an improvement on mine sadly.

;-)
You can get a brilliant view of the Eiffel viaduct without even leaving the autoroute - there's a service area called Garabit just south of St Flour with superb views of the structure as well as food, fuel and loos! It's an hour or so north of the Millau viaduct.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - deepwith
I wonder what happens to the 'offender' in France if you say you don't want to pursue action?

A friend said she didn't want to, as she was more worried about her family at that time, two of whom were still in hospital. She regretted that decision when leaving the police station. The motorcyclist who had caused the accident was there and she met him. She said that she hoped he would learn from his actions, his reply basically said he had done nothing wrong and would not change his manner of driving.
He had been riding fast behind a car, which signalled, braked and turned. He decided to steer off the road rather than hit the car. Unfortunately there were a family walking there who flew off in all directions, father head injuries and unconscious, 7 year old semi conscious, 9 and 11 year olds cut, bruised and traumatised, mother badly bruised but hadn't even realised she had been hit having watched her family airborne.
He said at the accident site that he had seen the people but felt it would cause less damage to go that way ...
She learned that the French are wonderful too, as when she and the older boys got back to their rented cottage there was dinner and offers to look after the boys while she was at the hospital, from locals. No mean offer as the eldest is autistic and quite wearisome (unless he has a car to valet).
When they finally got back to the UK they discovered the joys of England. They had been burgled.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - Paddler Ed
I've been back 2 weeks now from 2 weeks in the Ardeche. Total cost for 2 of us including all campsites and ferries was £1100. That includes fuel for a 2.4 petrol, driven down with 2 kayaks on the roof, and on the way back 1 kayak (left the other one out there for a friend working out there).

I'd say that the roads were no different to in the past, and the french were as friendly as ever.

What people must remember is that the £ is getting closer and closer to the Euro, and as such the savings that used to be there will disappear, especially as the EU moves nearer to a single tax rate etc across the area; this was one of the things that the Euro was goign to do, just no one knew how long it would take for it to happen.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - oldgit
I don't know what I was on in my entry above, about Malcesine but it was the Hotel du Lac I stayed at all those years ago. It is still there today but much updated, of course.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - Altea Ego
Bobby

Firstly - glad everyone is ok - the most important thing here is personal well being.

Secondly - if I crash again I want it to be a recent renault. (having written one off I can vouch for how well designed they are with respect to occupant protection)

Aint life strange. The family RF are planning a trip to ---- Malcesine - in late september so this is a pertinent thread.

I can also vouch for the narrow-ness of devin lanes, the Altea now sporting a battle scar on the offside lower bumper. I can also sing the praises of the tomtom 720 whcih negotiated the maze that is devon c and b roads with only one small glitch....It has no concept of tidal roads! To tomtom tim a road is a road even under 4 feet of salty water and ducks.
AE, if you are also family RF, and want to talk about my recent 7 days on Lake Garda and/or borrow my maps and Garda Guide book please contact me thru the email in my Profile.
My Recent Driving Trip to France - Altea Ego
Damn decent of you AS, I wil be in touch