Repaired on the go - ajit
Was driving out in the skoda when my security guard pointed to a rapidly deflating tyre. Ginerly drove the car around the corner to the local tyre shop, alas they were busy for the afternoon and I had a game of golf coming up.

Got the car home and rather than empty the golf kit from the boot, I decided to use my tubeless repair kit which I kept for security. The offending bolt was removed from the tyre, cleaned the puncture hold with the tool provided, bunged the plug in with the tool. Snip Snip of the excess plugging material and I was home try. connected a pump and had a cup of tea till the pressure was got. All my neighbours drivers (this is in India ) were baffled by the ease of the job. Expect my door bell to be busy.

Why do BMW bother with runflats which last for 300 km after deflation when each dealer is 500 km (if you are lucky) apart out here?

Plug and play me says!

Repaired on the go - bathtub tom
That was the recognised way of repairing these new-fangled tubeless tyres when they were introduced to the UK ???ty years ago. It was found to be unsatisfactory!

Nowadays, the tyre is removed, and mushroom shaped plug is inserted from the inside, and vulcanised to the tyre - as long as the hole is in a suitable area to be repaired.
Repaired on the go - oilrag
Also in the UK the average uninterested driver would be witless looking at a tubeless tyre repair kit, would likely stick the needle through the tyre wall accidentally and their hand to the side of the car with the glue.

I used them years ago with no problems as a get you home measure.

Edited by oilrag on 14/07/2008 at 18:11

Repaired on the go - gordonbennet
Excellent running repair Ajit, a sight better than this silly bottle of goo and a toytown electric pump supplied with so many new cars now.

And the beauty of it is, that the tyre whilst temporarily repaired will be fine until you can get to a place that has vulcanising capabilities to effect a permanent repair.

Not likely to be much use in Britain mind you, i've seen grown men call the breakdown services out to change a wheel at the side of the road.

Suggest you add a drop of something warming for the cockles of the heart to that well deserved cup of rosie...;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 14/07/2008 at 18:20

Repaired on the go - steveo3002
is vulcanise just a fancy name for rubber glue? all the places ive watched repair em just seem to glue the mushroom thing in
Repaired on the go - gordonbennet
A proper tyre repair workshop will clean up the area inside the tyre, possibly grind out some of the damaged tread area, apply rubber soution, then a patch inside, fill the hole if necessary with uncured rubber, making sure there is no trapped air, then place the tyre in a properly shaped heated mould for an hour or so to 'cure' the rubber, and then the tyre repair has been properly vulcanised. (that sequence and method has probably changed, some 35 years since i last did one)

I think what you've seen Steveo is a tyre sales fitter applying a slightly larger version of a bicycle puncture repair kit to a car tyre.

IIRC they used to be classed as cold cure repairs, and they do work, but not in the same class as a pro repair, ok for a nail, thats about it.
Repaired on the go - Lud
Vulcanising used to involve melting the rubber on tyre or patch making a seal that couldn't unstick. I've seen chaps sitting by the road in Africa with a tin of paraffin or something of the sort burning inside a removed outer cover, doing a vulcanised repair. Not really the sort of thing you'd want on your 911 or Audi RS6 I suppose, although it must be better in the context - rough roads, long distances - than a bit of glue.

Edited by Lud on 14/07/2008 at 19:33