Back to basics - think&drive
Suggestions and advice please - what is the best car that's reliable, inexpensive, simple and easy to fix, comfortable with reasonable performance, an everyday 4/5 seater ordinary car - not so concerned with size or fuel consumption but want just honest engineering and value - new or newish up to say £12K - does such a car exist in these days of Cam belts, DM flywheels, Ally wheels, Electric windows, Remote door locking, etc. none of which I want in a car - come back the last of the Cortinas? - any ideas?

Edited by Webmaster on 14/07/2008 at 01:23

Back to basics - Armitage Shanks {p}
A poverty spec/base model Merc C class? Perhaps an older E Class (was it W124?)

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 13/07/2008 at 23:27

Back to basics - qxman {p}
If you want new or newish then the answer is probably that there is nothing available.

If you were to buy a japanese car (petrol) then it would have all the complications, but with the advantage that it would probably be reliable.
Back to basics - gordonbennet
I think you get most of what you want in one of the van derived mpv's.

Previous berlingo, dobio, kangoo, etc. Job to avoid the cam belt woes though.
In fact i delivered a berlingo multispace this week that must have been special order, manual windows, no aircon, no central locking, and 2 rear doors instead of the tailgate, you are not alone, many feel the same.
One of the reasons for getting our pick up was the simplicity.
If its got to be a car, then get a Kia ceed with the 7 year warranty or if you are a high miler get the Hyundai 130 with 5 year unlimited mileage.
5 or 7 year with fixed costs.

Funnily enough, a rough and ready mechanic friend of mine used to say years ago that there is a market for exactly what you ask for, and that was in the mondeo 1 days.
He was and still is a computer phobe, and still runs a mk1 mondeo diesel, in fact he's not long got rid of his sierra diesel.
Back to basics - Lud
honest engineering and value -
new or newish up to say £12K

Subaru chaincam non-turbo if you can live with the looks. Very highly spoken of by certain well-informed people. Nearly new well within budget.
Back to basics - Paul Robinson
I don't think you'll find exactly what you want, but I'd suggest either a Nissan Note 1.4 petrol, ticks most of the boxes and is more simple and easy to fix if necessary or a Toyota Auris 1.4 petrol which is more comfortable and a proper 5 seater but not quite as simple as the Note.
Back to basics - jc2
Most of the big manufacturers have considered making vehicles like this but there is little demand for them-the vast majority of the market wants "bells & whistles".
Back to basics - stunorthants26
Current Proton models are pretty old-tech as they always have been. Impian is a smallish family car and they have a decent warranty.
I always think that if you want honest reliable transport, find your local retirement row of bungalows and look for some of the less mainstream choices they make.

You prob cant get away from certain things, but you can certainly buy a car that you would bet against going wrong, and even these days, there are still a few cars with no known faults outside of routine servicing. Just usually means a car with no image or driving excitement, hence they dont sell in huge numbers.
Back to basics - Sulphur Man
what you're describing is a 'world car' which don't come to UK markets - cars like the Renault Logan, Fiat Palio. That might change though. low cost motoring is the next big thing (hardly surprising!). Whilst people in the UK defintely like their cars with toys and decoration, they're also prepared to sacrifice on engine power and thirst.

I'd second that Subaru shout - and would also recommend the older Honda Accords (pre-2001 model). A 1.8 S VTEC with fsh should stand you in good stead. The older Mk1 Nissan Primera too, a minicab classic (which also has sensational handling)
Back to basics - daveyjp
"not so concerned with size"

If the OP genuinely means that - C1/107/Aygo basic spec is basic - no alloys, manual windows, no aircon, chain cam engine, no central locking etc etc. In fact the only sop to modernism is probably the power steering.

Alternatively a Ford Ka.
Back to basics - jc2
All Ka have PAS and most come with AC & EW & CL. but they do have chaim cam and hydraulic tappets.
Back to basics - Happy Blue!
As I have said before, and second the comment earlier - the Citroen C1 and clones is the perfect basic car that does what it says on the tin. It's not the cheapest car but is clearly well thought out and the quality of the driving experience shows how much detials went into its design. It does everything it is designed to do, very well.

Back to basics - think&drive
Thanks for the wisdom in these well thought out replies - with regard to service related warranties, these don't interest me (I will take my chances) as my experiance of main dealer servicing on cars still under guarantee, is that these garages cause problems that didn't exist before the car went in (in my last two new cars (not the same make) and with two differant garages in my last 2 year old new car) - in other words the only way to look after your car apart from specific problems is to DIY.
Back to basics - nick
Non-turbo Impreza or Legacy, virtually bullet-proof.