04 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - Lando
Hi guys. There is an intermittent fault with my 54 reg Accord which affects the power upon accelerating. There's no problem in 1st gear, but occasionally in 2nd, and around 50% of the time in the higher gears, the car pinks at around 2,800-4,000 rpm. It feels as though the injector or fuel line is starving the engine of diesel for a split-second, similar to the effect of a faulty lumbar sensor. It makes the car jerk about 4-8 times, then it rectifies itself at around 4k rpm. (It's a similar sensation to hitting the brakes for a split-second when speeding up.)

I took it to the garage, but they said that they couldn't find anything wrong with it. (Despite having it for 3 days.) Have any of you got the faintest idea what may be the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/10/2008 at 00:48

54 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - smickers
Have to say it sounds exactly like the fault I have in my 2.2 i-cdti ... almost like a judder ... I feel mine in 2nd 3rd and 4th gears when driving easy round town especially 1500 rpm 40mph ... almost feels like kangaroo petrol ...

Mines going into the garage next week again ... If i get a resolution I'll let you know ...
54 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - rob77
I have a 56 plate 2.2 CDTI and have noticed similar symptoms. But mine only occurs on very light throttle at low speeds, it like a misfire or a flat spot on acceleration. Vehicle has turned over 20000 miles today and just had its 2 year service last weekend. I mentioned it at the service but they found nothing.
54 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - Quicksilver
Had similar symptoms on my 04 Accord 2.2 wagon. In the end the engine mamnagement light came on and it needed a new high pressure fuel pump. This is around GBP1200 +VAT so get it diagnosed while you still have a warranty.

Honda have to give special approval to replace the fuel pump so push hard with the garage and tell them you think it is the fuel pump and to record your suspicions in the vehicle history just in case!

Q.
54 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - smickers
I got my CDTI fixed ... can't believe the difference ... software update was required for the modified EGR valve to work correctly .... £30 fixed it ...!
54 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - Phil51
I have a similar sounding problem...more like yours ( Rob 77) than the others who responded. Mine feels like a flat spot or delay when re appling accelerator after changing up....it's quite subtle but noticable. Did you resolve your problem or any info which might help? Thanks

Edited by Phil51 on 11/02/2009 at 08:22

54 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - Robina
Phil51
I have the same problem with my 2.4 petrol engine. Did your get recitified and can you tell me what the porblem was.

Many thanks
04 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - Lando
Thanks for all your help, folks. It is greatly appreciated.

Happily, this problem was resolved at the 50k service. It turns out that the unscrupulous garage who supposedly serviced the car previously "overlooked" *ahem, totally ignored, *cough the diesel filter, which had corroded. This was causing the power loss. As filters come under any normal person's idea of a service, it was essentially free-of-charge to replace at Honda.

As an aside, I have to say that Honda's servicing, despite the reputation for costliness, was remarkably cheap. The only reason I took it to Honda for the service was to get the "engine" problem diagnosed. I was quoted £179.99 at a local independent garage for a major service, using all Honda parts. (But they would not have been able to diagnose the engine problem.)

A major 50k service at a Honda main dealer, on a 2.2 i-CDTi Accord? £200.00.

I'll never go to an independent garage again if this escapade is anything to go by...

04 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - Collos25
(But they would not have been able to diagnose the engine problem.)

Why not?
04 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - xtrailman
My last xtrail was serviced at a main dealer, the pollen filter had not been changed, but it was on the item list ,and i had been charged!.
They admitted that they had run out, so i had to do another 30mile round trip.

On the xtrail the diesel filter is only changed every 22k miles, so not always a routine change. I had mine done at 28k and noticed no problems before , and no improvement after, it was changed i mark all the relacment items.
04 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - danskat

Read these posts with interest as my 55 plate (new car for me) was doing pretty much the same thing.... hesitating / stuttering mostly in second gear (under hard acceleration). I began by carrying out the least expensive bit of work first (air filter) which was fairly badly clogged... this had no effect. Next for the fuel filter.... not an easy job as the whole canister is to be replaced but £30 and 3hrs later a test reported no faults. I've tried over the last few weeks now to replicate the fault but seem to have 'fixed' it.

Perhaps I should call the last garage who serviced it circa 6 months ago and ask why the fuel filter was not replaced?

04 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - chef-46

hi mate.got the same problem with my accord 06 reg.took the car to honda dealer in bolton,they could nt find the problem and suggest to change the fuel filter,wich they did change it. once i picked the car up the symthoms was still therei rang them up and told em the car was still foulty,they suggest agein to change the cylinder and timing belt ,the cost is arond £800,told them not to bothered i dont think they r competent to the job.can please tell me what was wrong with your car .thank you

04 2.2 Intermittent loss of power when acceleratin - Xena

The 2.2 Honda diesel is not fitted with a timing belt - it's got a chain which, under normal circumstances, does not need to be routinely replaced.