parking spaces - roy59
Why is it that parking spaces these days don`t allow for fully open doors?
I`m 6 foot tall with a 44 inch waist and clearly need room to manouver so to speak, apart from mom & toddler designated areas at supermarkets and disabled bays , unless i`m early i always have to breathe in when i get out of my car , this doesn`t happen when i park my truck in a truckpark theres always ample room , but i can`t take my truck to tesco`s!!
parking spaces - ifithelps
Ever wider cars, ever narrower spaces?
parking spaces - Dynamic Dave
I`m 6 foot tall with a 44 inch waist and clearly need room to manouver so to speak

Similar situation myself, yet I still manage to avoid putting a parking ding in the car next to mine when I open my door, unlike a lot of other people who are a lot slimmer than myself and don't need to open their doors quite so wide to get out.
parking spaces - Tron
More parked up = more customers.

Disabled bays are the ones that get me. Many of the so called disabled can walk considerable distances but yet they are given priority, just like parents with toddlers over the rest of the human race.

Blue badge abuse is very common - just watch the next time you are out shopping.

To save my car from the moronic few that don't know how to respect others property - I never park close to the entrance of anywhere.

What I don't understand is why parents with young children get priority parking over the rest of us - is it because they are seen as a revenue earner?

parking spaces - Ian (Cape Town)
What I don't understand is why parents with young children get priority parking over the
rest of us - is it because they are seen as a revenue earner?

Debated a squillion times here and elsewhere.
To summarise:
1) I need to open the door really wide to access the kid in the baby seat. And my door hist YOUR paintwork, sunshine!
2) The fact that handling small folk in carparks is difficult enouigh... now, add a loaded trolley, some rain, and a carpark full of silly bints and guys on mobiles, in 4x4s, and tell me how much fun being a parent of a toddler is...

Disabled bays? Well, I congratulate you on having a medical degree, which allows you to make on-the-spot assessments, by sight, of the people's mobility needs.

Sure, there IS abuse, but don't assume it is all abuse.

Or would walking an extra 50 yards be that much skin off your nose?
parking spaces - L'escargot
What I don't understand is why parents with young children get priority parking over the
rest of us ...........

If you dislike it so much, you should let your feelings be known in the appropriate quarter(s).

Edited by L'escargot on 12/07/2008 at 16:21

parking spaces - Tron
When supermarkets et al can treat the rest of use with the same equality - as in we too need space to get in and out of our cars, then I will treat the disabled, mothers etc., with the same respect.

If you read my post - I NEVER park near the entrance of any establishment to protect my car from the unwanted attention of the parent that is so stressed up over little johnny not behaving or a bit of rain falling upon them - they batter my car half to death to expidite the trip home.
If you dislike it so much you should let your feelings be known in the
appropriate quarter(s).

I have and their reply was: Policy. it is our policy to provide parking to those with a 'greater need' than a single or more able bodied person or words to that effect.

As insight: I work in an environment that puts me in direct contact with physically and learning challenged disabled adults.

Yes and very sadly many are unable to function as normally as the rest of us but there are those, those that use their disability to milk the system to gain carers passes and free parking at venues when they don't need it - taking them from those that do.

Same with supermarkets etc. The next time you are there - watch the so called and the genuine 'disabled' get out of the cars. Some will be and rightly so using the facility -
I know from experience more will be carers, friends or even family abusing the badge facility and the disabled person will not even be in the vehicle. Putting the genuine badge holders entitlement at risk.

Same as mothers & toddlers bays. Many cars pull up, single adult even couples. There will be a single child seat in the back - but no child.

Rant over & I agree to disagree on this - my 'passionate' opinion as any of you are as entitled to yours.

Oh by the way, I too am registered disabled. I even have a blue badge but because I am able to walk that bit further. I freely do so. giving someone else (hopefully) that is more disabled than I, the space I should have and I am entitled to take.
parking spaces - welshlad
I have a blue badge but to me that doesnt entitle me to use disabled bays, it entitles me to use disabled bays WHEN and IF its appropriate.

Edited by welshlad on 12/07/2008 at 16:51

SORRY MISSED THE EDIT DEADLINE

EDIT: personally i think its rediculous that there is a photo on the back of the blue badge that never see's the light of day surely having to put the photo in full view allowing anyone checking that the person using the badge is the entitled person is the only way of avoiding a majority of the abuse
parking spaces - rtj70
I often see people fling doors open and hear them hit other peoples cars. That's just not necessary.

I ruled out the new Mondeo late last year partly on the width. I often park in a Manchester city centre car park which is convenient for where we go (and sometimes free but I'm not sure if that's a mistake so won't say how I get that) but has pillars everywhere and narrow bays.... so no Mondeo for me. Think it's called Market Street right next to the Ramada.
rtj,
despite it being so incredibly 'boy racer' (80s nomenclature) or 'chav' (2000 version), having those rubber slide-on bump-stops, with built-in catseyes, on your doors does make sense.
I was washing the car today, and noticed how many silly little dings could have been avoided - by both ME and the git who parked next to me - had those soft rubber thingies been on the cars involved in carpark incidents.
Havings said that, i can't work out why supermarket chains - in this country at least - don't have a system where they shove some neoprene on the corners of their wire-built trolleys?

The local Woolworths - M&S to you - use plastic trolleys. Apparently they lose less of these than the wire ones, as the wire ones are often cut, bent, and sold to unscrupulous scrappers.
(See previous threads ad infinitum about local scrappies buying anything ferrous, including roadsigns, crash barriers, manhole covers etc. I've read the same thing about YOUR local types as well!)
parking spaces - Lud
manhole covers etc.

Dropped a front wheel into the hole left by a stolen manhole cover in Dar es Salaam once, fortunately very gently so no damage. It was a Fiat 125 and one of the rear wheels was off the ground, so no drive. The middle of the night too. Eventually two laughing passers-by sat on the raised corner and lifted the dropped one so I could reverse out.
parking spaces - b308
personally i think its rediculous that there is a photo on the back of
the blue badge that never see's the light of day surely having to put the
photo in full view allowing anyone checking that the person using the badge is the
entitled person is the only way of avoiding a majority of the abuse

Yes I would agree with that entirely - my wife now has a blue badge - she can walk, but only short distances and with the help of a stick and carer - most of the time its a wheelchair - we would have no problem with having the photo on the front... though it would need replacing quite often as photos tend to fade quite quickly!

On a side to the photo thing, the local rag recently published a complaint by a disabled person who got a ticket three days on the trot for not displaying a valid badge - she'd had it with the photo upmost (for those who don't know the expiry date is on the other side!) - seems she'd had the badge 8 years!! She was trying to blame the parking attendants but I rather felt that she should have taken responsibility herself as the instructions cleary state which way it should be displayed, when will people start to take responsibilty for their own actions instead of trying to blame someone else for their errors?!
I`m ..... a 44 inch waist ..........

In that case, for the good of your health you should lose a bit of weight. ;-)
parking spaces - roy59
>> I`m ..... a 44 inch waist ..........
In that case for the good of your health you should lose a bit of
weight. ;-)
I know , i know , I`m trying to believe me, i`ve dropped down from 46 to 44inch but it takes time !!!

parking spaces - grumpyscot
When it's a line of "normal cars", I generally don't have a problem - it's the 4x4s, MPVs that cause the problem by being wider than normal cars.

I've just come back from the US, where parking pscaes are wide enough to fully open the doors of our 4x4 without hitting our neighbour -min you, it also helps that in many car parks over there, you park at an angle, which means that doors are not opposite each other so two cars can have people getting in/out without interfering with one another.

For the UK, the answer is - don't park near the entrance, go shopping at non-peak hours, and don't park next to 4x4s or MPVs (or Honda FRVs/Fiat Multiplas)

don't park next to 4x4s .......

Especially those on which the bottom of the door curves outwards ~ these have a nasty outwards-pointing sharp corner.
parking spaces - wotspur
Roy well done on losing 2" so far.

I've responded several times on this subject.

The main problem is the designs of stores, with all the parking out in front of the store.

If parking was to one side of the building for parents and children, we don't need to be near to the store,but it does help, but we do need extra space, to extripate the little darlings, and change nappies if necessary.

Disabled people also need extra space, but IF the person who is disabled is not in the car, and YES they should be monitored, in most cases it's visable, otherwise carry a Dr's note , the parker should be fined.

Both PARENTS and Disabled bays should also be restricted in terms of time available upto 18.00, and for upto 5yrs old - I no longer use them as mine are 4 and 6.

As far as you're concerned Roy a lager parking bay 200 yards from the store will only assist in your quest to loose weight -either that or go late at night when neither parents or disbled use the store.
a lager parking bay >> will only assist in your quest to loose weight

I find that lager makes me put on weight.
parking spaces - adverse camber
This was a significant factor in our swapping the A4 for a Peugeot Partner (aka Berlingo). The sliding doors mean that we can get the kids in and out without bashing other cars.

Why is it that when you have obviously got two child seats in the back of your car some people still park next to you leaving only a foot or so gap? Do they think I'm going to leave the 3 year old playing in the carpark while I get out of the space?
parking spaces - Whisky
I have a very good friend who abuses the blue badge in his car (obtained through his father) I tried to point this out once but got told that he didn't particually care as he classed himself as disabled anyway, now that is true but I was under the impression he really should apply for his own badge, anyway I didn't take the arguement very far, he is 6ft5 and 20 stone :-)

One thing that does make me laugh is seeing a disabled badge on something like a porsche, I have enough trouble getting in those things never mind someone with a "bad back".
parking spaces - ifithelps
a disabled badge on something like a porsche>>

Obviously not disabled in the wallet.
parking spaces - deepwith
Nope, not every one who is disabled has a bad back, and not all have disabled wallets. We have a very glamorous friend who drives a sports car with a Blue Badge - she has MS and sees not reason why she should have to compromise until she really really has to.
parking spaces - Statistical outlier
People can jump to conclusions, and I have to admit to occasionally having a bit of fun before I correct them.

Pulled into Tesco, aged 19, my blonde female friend driving, and parked in a disabled space. As I jumped out, a couple in their mid 50s started having a real go at me about how young people had no respect, how we were using a space someone might need, how I should be ashamed of myself etc. I couldn't resist the temptation, and the pause before starting to get my friend's wheelchair out of the boot was longer than it needed to be.

I didn't get an apology for all the abuse though.
he didn't particually care as he classed himself as disabled anyway now that is true

the question is how he's disabled and would he actually qualify for his own bagde or is that why he's using his fathers?
parking spaces - Whisky
would he actually qualify for his own bagde or is that why he's using his fathers?

I'm pretty sure he would, bad knee, morphine etc plus lots of arthritis at an early age thrown in. Basically he seems ok when out and about but you can tell when he has been walking as he is in constant pain afterwards. Still I don't half feel sheepish in morrisons car park...
parking spaces - Tron
Info on blue badge entitlement:

tinyurl.com/49rr5k

If he was entitled he would be on the higher rate of the mobility component of DLA and be automatically notified of his entitlement to the blue badge scheme.

I know for a fact Morphine (along with many other types of medications) the prescribing GP legally has to notify DVLA and will also notify DVLA of that patients 'severe' disabilty.

No wonder you feel so sheepish...

...sounds like someone is pulling the 'wool' over your eyes!

i have to say that when i decided to go down the motabillity route when getting a new car i was very surprised at the number of 'sports like cars' on the list, but what i really cant understand is how much some people are willing to spend on a car that they HAVE to return after 3 years i think when it starts to get to around £8000 on the advanced payment and the £180 a month coming out of your DLA you dont actually benifit from the scheme and your probably better off just buying a car that you own outright. But i suppose it really depends on the persons disibillity as to what cars they are able to drive with ease i know personally my main concern was getting in and out with ease.

that said i dont actually think porche are on the list, or at least they werent last time i looked
parking spaces - b308
Take the Hire Purchase instead and then he could get one I think...

You don't have to be claiming DLA to get a Blue Badge either, just satisfy the Local Council who issue it that you need one - we've just come back from Germany and Belgium and it makes life so much easier over there when parking!
parking spaces - roy59
Roy well done on losing 2" so far
As far as you're concerned Roy a lager parking bay 200 yards from the store
will only assist in your quest to loose weight -either that or go late at
night when neither parents or disbled use the store.

Well thanks for the encouragement, believe me , i don`t mind walking i enjoy it, but i`d just like more room getting out of my car, sometimes i can park with two empty space either side of me, but when i return to my car, someone has parked too close to my drivers door. (by the way, i don`t drink lager, i`m a real ale fan!!, but i`ll forgive the fopar!!)
parking spaces - FotheringtonThomas
Why is it that parking spaces these days don`t allow for fully open doors?

There are too many people;

or:

The world is too small.
parking spaces - b308
or:
The world is too small.

UK, rather than the world... at the moment!

Rest of Europe hasn't started buying 4x4s in large numbers yet.... ;)
parking spaces - Quacker1964
Can I just say that we were in Florida & Disneyworld last year and the Americans have got it right about Car Parks. They are huge (as are a lot of Americans) and there is so much room between cars - fantastic!

Some places even had staggered bays enabling two cars arriving at the same time to open all doors wide and get out simultaneously. They have much bigger bellies and vehicles than us and they get it right.

Petrol is a smidge cheaper too;-)

Edited by Quacker1964 on 15/07/2008 at 19:39

parking spaces - b308
They've got a little bit more space to play with as well! ;)