new kind of jobsworth - bananastand
Dual carriageway. Roadworks in say 800 yards, where one lane closes. What do we get? One long queue and one long, empty lane. In the USA you get "Merge in turn" signs and everyone is happy. I've never seen one here.

Lately this happened on the A580 East Lancs. Long Q, empty lane as above. Some old dude kept his place in the queue BUT moved over to block the empty lane.

The highway code, as HJ has confirmed, tells us to use both lanes and merge.

I squeezed past and told the O.D. exactly that. OOH the look on his face! (outrage) then zipped to the front and merged - just like the highway code says, before anyone tells me I should have queued!!!!!!

anyway, this blocking of empty lanes is something I have seen a lot lately. As usual, check the other guy isn't bigger than you before enlightening him.

I also re-iterate that I am immune from road-rage,
new kind of jobsworth - Lud
I also re-iterate that I am immune from road-rage.

>>

No one is really. Especially not from other people's... :o}

new kind of jobsworth - roy59
I get rattled some times when i`m approaching roadworks , i`m in a line of traffic, lane 2 is coned off 600 yds ahead. Waiting patiently like i`m supposed to, But Repmobile comes tearing down past the rest of us so someone up front lets him in and holds the rest of us up again.
If the traffic ahead of me kept a reasonable distance from each other, then traffic in lane 2 could merge smoothly, but this never happens in practice.
The point is, both lanes should be used and people should merge like it says in the highway code.

People won't keep this mythical distance apart in queues. That's why cars don't all start off at once when the lights turn green!
new kind of jobsworth - gordonbennet
It depends a lot on which part of the country you are in, expect all sorts of ducking and diving in the SouthEast, but don't be pushing in further up country, the explaining of his what he's doing wrong to a huge gruff chap may not be all that pleasant.

Whatever it says in the HC, if they do it a certain way somewhere else, it may pay to do as the locals do.

the lane-jammers tend to be victor meldrews with obvious social limitations. Would you really block a lane just so you could impose your own rules on the road? **Contrary to the highway code, I must say again!**
Not all Victor Meldrews, if you go to parts of the country where people still have a certain old world courtesy, you will often see this very (frustrating for you) easy going taking ones place in the queue way of getting about.

Scotland, at least the last time i was there, the drivers are extremely polite, and don't take very kindly to what they would regard as queue jumpers, and they're far from slow.

Regardless of what the HC says, carry on educating the locals, but don't be surprised when V Meldrew's 15 stone son does some explaining back.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/07/2008 at 22:43

on the contrary, merging in turn is the height of courtesy. Blocking a lane is not.
new kind of jobsworth - commerdriver
What a wonderfully selective interpretation of rule 134 to justify bad mannered agressive driving.
Of course two lines of traffic, both moving slowly, should merge in turn at the roadworks
That is not the same as some ill mannered oik belting past a lane of virtually stationary traffic at 40-50 or more ignoring lane closing signs and pushing in at the front.
What happened to common sense and courtesy, also encouraged by the highway code?
new kind of jobsworth - Avant
The Highways Agency ought to put 'please merge in turn' notices at the approach to all such roadworks: too many people have limited attention span and forget that this is simple common sense, as Commerdriver makes clear.
new kind of jobsworth - PhilW
'please merge in turn'
It worked on a dual carriageway near us recently - several signs saying "Use both lanes" and at constriction "Merge in turn" in words and symbols. They put up enough other signs - why not more of these?
it isn't ignoring lane closing signs. Since when does a lane closing in for example 800 yards sign mean that everyone has to bunch over to one side? Again, in the states they have signs that say "merge in turn" so both lanes are used.

And if you are in the free lane you don't have to "belt" at 40-50 either.

The HC is clear. Although I admit I haven't read it since 1980, ha ha
new kind of jobsworth - Ben 10
Leading up to a closed lane there are count down signs from about 800 yards warning that a lane is shut further along. I was under the impression you were to merge at these warnings so nearly everyone is in the open lane earlier enough. Most people do this well in time, though there are some who think it is their right to cruise past everyone else who does the decent thing to gain a few yards by cutting in at the cones. This does wind people up.

But I agree the merge action IS sensibly better. So I think the HA should do away with these count down signs and leave the traffic to use both lanes sensibly up to the cones and merge normally. It is a case of older drivers driving to the HC of yesterday and younger oiks taking advantage. Scrap the signs and allow the lines to merge in their own time. Both lanes would then be used, hopefully cutting annoyance amongst us.
NO - all it needs is "merge in turn" signs. They could be posted anywhere as they are universally understandable. Why can't we have them? Is it anti-USA bias? They have "yield" signs too, I think we should them here as well
YES- remove the count down signs, they are a distraction for the wrong reasons and replace at the roadworks with merge signs.
new kind of jobsworth - b308
Scotland at least the last time i was there the drivers are extremely polite and
don't take very kindly to what they would regard as queue jumpers and they're far
from slow.

Have to comment on this - having used "merge in turn" many times when driving in Europe I could not understand why it was not used more over here... until I came across a "m-i-t" just outside Dundee a few years ago - despite large signs saying "Use Both Lanes!" I was still blocked by a chap on the left hand lane and had to use the OP's "bluff" to get past, though I didn't bother trying to explain why I did it... its just not worth the hassle... perhaps teaching the modern motorists to read and what road signs say may help... until then I will continue to use the outside lane until I come to about 100yds from the merge or some HGV drivers who seem to know better than the HC!
new kind of jobsworth - Stuartli
>>...what he's doing wrong to a huge gruff chap...>>

Wasn't aware that the south lacked such delightful and charming characters.....:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 12/07/2008 at 01:18

new kind of jobsworth - Kevin
I thought this had been done to death.

My own views mirror commerdriver's.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=57934&...e

Kevin...
totally wrong. You propose a random kind of duelling. the merging SHOULD take place at the point at which the road narrows! Everyone then knows what to do. No racing, bullying, or dodgem-style recklessness. Obvious, easy, and stress free!

All it takes is the correct sign - Merge in turn.
I think you've made your point on the merge signs. Do you have shares in the company that makes them :-)
new kind of jobsworth - Number_Cruncher
>>All it takes is the correct sign - Merge in turn.

I couldn't agree less.

A better solution would be for the HC to begin to advise people to merge, if traffic is still flowing, at least 400 yards before the pinch point. In this way;

- people could merge at leisure
- the traffic jam caused by ignorant types trying to merge at the pinch point would not happen

The problem at the moment is that the advice in the highway code is anything but clear. It is not clear because there are 2 opposing interpretations, first, the "British" interpetation, where one queues in the left hand lane, and looks askance at any latecomer pushing in from the right hand lane at the pinch point, second, the Uberwagen interpretation, where one screams past the plebians in the LH lane, and takes one's rightful place at the head of the queue.

I don't see how merge in turn signs would help overcome this problem.

new kind of jobsworth - Westpig
there's a difference between squeezing the last foot out of a carriageway to ignorantly push past other drivers at the cones..and... driving down the empty lane to near the end, then merging with consideration

as ever it comes down to the extremes

there are the ignorant at both ends of the spectrum and they will either be the 'squeeze in at the last minute at all costs brigade' or 'block the lane because i've booked early mob'

the driving authorities would rather traffic use both lanes, then merge considerately, what's wrong with that? Some parts of the country folk will block an empty lane for up to half a mile, to ensure everyone is only using one lane. They are just as much a muppet as the clown who aggressively leaves it to the absolute last minute.
new kind of jobsworth - commerdriver
totally agree wp common sense seems to be in short supply sometimes.
new kind of jobsworth - Kevin
>totally wrong. You propose a random kind of duelling.

I see you have reading problems as well. What I actually advocated was an orderly merge where traffic is still moving.

>the merging SHOULD take place at the point at which the road narrows!

Do you really not understand that merging early and keeping traffic moving, even at 10mph, is preferable to a stop-start "after you" at the pinch point?

>Everyone then knows what to do.

Ahh, now I see! You need to be told what to do.

>No racing, bullying, or dodgem-style recklessness. Obvious, easy, and stress free!

"I squeezed past and told the O.D. exactly that. OOH the look on his face! (outrage) then zipped to the front and merged..

As usual, check the other guy isn't bigger than you before enlightening him."

Very thoughtful of you.

Kevin...
new kind of jobsworth - L'escargot
I squeezed past and told the O.D. exactly that.

Chill out. What you experienced was nothing more than a temporary minor inconvenience, and something you should just take in your stride.

Edited by L'escargot on 12/07/2008 at 08:16

new kind of jobsworth - Downesi1
Which model BMW do you drive ?
new kind of jobsworth - langdon
The thing is, we ALL break the rules sometimes don't we? overtake when we shouldn't, merge when we shouldn't, go a bit over the speed limit when we shouldn't, push in when we shouldn't, and yes, even if it isn't classed as Road Rage, who hasn't muttered / sworn under their breath about the fool in front, behind, at the side etc:

We ALL do in some way or another, we shouldn't eat certain things, drink certain things, smoke certain things, do certain things, say certain things, the list is endless....................... I have driven past that long line on the inside lane waiting to go off the slipway on the M25 or where ever! I admit it, not always, but sometimes yes, sometimes I don't want to wait all day for Mr & Mrs Jones in their Nissan Micra, or Acme Haulage in the incredibly slow artic going up hill on a B road, or the Smith family with their caravan oblivious to the two mile tailback behind them, don't say you have never done any of the above because you have, and if you haven't, then YOU my friend are the biggest Jobs worth I know.......................................

(its good to break the rules occasionally!)

Good day to you all
new kind of jobsworth - yorkiebar
Try and blast past an orderly queue of traffic and attempto to squeeze in past me then!

I have been known to avoid eye contact with the "fast important driver" on the right and have actually "broken down" at such a point when I have been insulted by them sufficiently!

Unfortunately all that happens then is the people in the orderly queue keep flowing through on the nearside until I manage to restart my car and wait for a point I can get back in, then hopefully the fast important driver can find a space shortly after!

Why is it so hard to understand that only 1 car can get through the narrow space at a time and if people are in a queue and ready it flows faster! I agree the queue need not be x miles long, but it needs to be in order BEFORE the pinchpoint or even less traffic can get through than would otherwise be possible.

The HC may not be overclear on this, but I believe it does also advocate common sense and good manners !

And yes I would let you hit my car before I moved out of your way ! Would it bother me? Less than it would you !
new kind of jobsworth - Dyane 6 Mehari
Any lane other than the leftmost one is for overtaking only. It's unlikely that a sensible overtake involves overtaking in a lane that's shortly to close to join the rear of a queue of slow-moving traffic.

So logically, no-one should be in the right hand lane at the point of the merge anyway. As soon as a sign indicates that the lane is closing all overtakes are "off" and everyone should be in the left hand lane.

The remaining stretch of open right hand lane is there for people to complete the manouvres they've already started and to give people who are slow to catch on a chance to move back over.
new kind of jobsworth - Screwloose
Why is it so hard to understand that only 1 car can get through the
narrow space at a time and if people are in a queue and ready it
flows faster! I agree the queue need not be x miles long but it needs
to be in order BEFORE the pinchpoint or even less traffic can get through than
would otherwise be possible

Precisely! Basic hydrodynamics.

A single, orderly line is the most efficient flow through a restriction. Once the two lanes have merged and a single, solid, line has formed; then doing anything else is just arrogant queue-jumping that's slowing the whole flow down.
new kind of jobsworth - smokie
So at what point should everyone join this single orderley line, to ensure it works equally for all, and is orderley, without people pushing into it anywhere along it's length this causing delays?

Ah yes, that'll be at the pinch point. But some people just don't have the mentality to permit zipping.

The line really needs to be stable and running at a constant speed before encountering the restriction; so the zip-merging should be done a few hundred yards, at least, from the choke point - which is why they put all those advance warning signs out...

If the single line is tailing-back; then the flow-rate is clearly exceeding the maximum capacity of the restriction. In such a case both/all lanes should slow in tandem to the same speed and merge into one at a suitable distance ahead of the pinchpoint.

That's what the much-derided lane-blockers are achieving; they are preventing self-important overtakers that are messing the smooth flow up by, inevitably, forcing the settled line to slow to let them in and thus delaying everyone - except themselves.....

The "braking waves" on a full-capacity motorway are probably the best example of the delaying effects of irregular flow.

new kind of jobsworth - Blue {P}
Screwloose - I agree with you entirely, whilst these people may hold up those that want to nip to the front, they make the overall jam a little smoother as the messy process of merging is done way back meaning that it's single file getting through the restriction which is obviously quicker than merging in turn at the point of bottleneck.

In theory merge in turn should work just as quickly as everyone zip merges nice and smoothly, but we all know that doesn't happen in real life as people aren't capable of driving their car into the gap without resorting to braking from either themselves or the other car, which causes the car behind to brake, which causes the car behind that to brake etc. etc.

I've long felt this but haven't been able to write it as eloquently as you so have kept quiet through fear of being branded a heretic! :-)

So we're agreed that the theory of zipping is sound - it's just the "where" which needs to be sorted. So why not at the pinch point rather than a rather arbitrary "few hundred yards"?
new kind of jobsworth - Number_Cruncher
>>So why not at the pinch point rather than a rather arbitrary "few hundred yards"?

If everyone drove perfectly, then, yes, there's no reason why it can't happen at the pinch point, BUT, there's no room for mimers, or even a hesitation. The result of a hesitation by either party would result in one or other either slowing significantly, or stopping completely, and then, that ripples back, and the whole queue will slow, or stop. This is, effectively the default condition as it occurs.

Merging before the zip point allows people (even mimsers!) plenty of time to complete the lane change, and keep the whole flow moving.

In my view, unless the whole queue is already almost stagnant, those who leave merging until the pinch point are among the larger causes of traffic queues in roadworks.

I used to be a queuer, now I sometimes queue and sometimes sail (at a reasonable speed) along the outside of the queue. The latter is definitely the way to go.

The advantage is that, if zipping works correctly, there is slow movement in both lanes all the time. But queuers decide at different places that it's time for them to jon the queue before the pinch. This causes much more delay than zipping would, at least for those in the queue, as you effectively have lanes merging all over the place, under no control. Hard one to explain, but I know what I mean...
Similar sort of problem happens on the M1 south at J14, Very busy at peak times , sometimes queueing back to Newport Pagnell services in lane one , yet you still get the idiots who slow right down in lane 2 almost to a stop in order to cut in nearer the exit slip.
Ditto for M40 J9 south as well, and any other major motorway exit come to think of it , But i think the M1 J14 is the worst!!
new kind of jobsworth - drbe
Why do I have this strange feeling that this has been done before? ; - )
where do you draw the line about 'where to merge'. Should it be where the queue starts, which at peak times obviously could be a long way from the obstruction, is it a set distance from the obstruction e.g. 100 yards, is it at the obnstruction?

the problem with everyone doing their own thing is a multitude of different opinions

-if you choose the 'where the queue starts' as being the point of merge, that could be many hundreds of yards if not miles from the obstruction... and at a point it is dangerous to queue. it would also leave a vast tract of empty roadway i.e. the lane that will eventually close.

-if you choose a set point e.g. 100 yards back from the obstruction, you'll still have people refusing to let others in and 100 yards of empty lane.

the road planners have decided on using all the lanes and instruct people to merge in turn at the obstruction, this lessens danger at the back of the queue (because the queue isn't as long) and efficiently uses all the lanes, even if the actual flow itself isn't as efficient as it could be.

That traffic flow could well be made more efficient if everyone did the same thing i.e did as they were told by the HA and let alternate cars go. Can't see the problem. Obviously the 'book early mob' don't like being 'had over' by people doing as they're told and efficiently using all lanes. I do agree though that rude or aggressive leaving it to the absolute last minute at the cones is ignorant and anti-social. There has to be a happy medium and IMO less than 10 - 20 feet is a no-no as is more than 60 - 70 feet.

As for road rage and deliberately blocking the road and being prepared to have an accident, I find it amazing that someone was willing to admit that on here. How foolish.
Like i`ve said before, everyone should leave sufficient space from the vehicle front so traffic from the right can merge, i leave enough gap so that i don`t keep dabbing my brakes all the time, but i do get annoyed with drivers who leave it till they nudge the cones before pulling in.
new kind of jobsworth - jbif
where do you draw the line about 'where to merge'.
the problem with everyone doing their own thing is a multitude of different opinions

I think a good solution would be to put lane separation cones down, say for 500 or 600 yards before the pinch point, but have no cones for the last 50 yards or so. At that point, have a sign to indicate you can now merge in turn. This would then ensure that the principles of the HC are observed without causing road rage. It should also stop the self-appointed vigilante "blockers" who believe that they have a right to stop people they have judged to be "fast important driver"s.
I find it amazing that someone was willing to admit that on here. How foolish.

I don't find it amazing at all, especially as there are a few backroomers about who think their driving is superhuman and beyond reproach.

There has to be a happy medium and IMO less than 10 - 20
feet is a no-no as is more than 60 - 70 feet.

Rather depends on the overall traffic speed though Westpig. The faster the traffic speed (and we want it to be faster, don't we?) the bigger these margins have to be. But the real problem with this is people's sense of rhythm, elegance if you like, in zip-merging as in other simple road manoeuvres. Four or five vehicles at a time might manage it with reasonable proficiency, mutually aware and backing off or accelerating slightly to fine-tune the zip as it closes; then there will be some hopeless fool, pathetic terrified mimser or screaming carphound who will shamelessly, and with great indignation, screw the whole thing up by hesitating or shoving rudely into the wrong place. And as we know, that sort of thing spreads like wildfire in traffic.

I am afraid that as a nation we possess a bolshy, not always intelligent, stubborn individualism which makes this sort of thing more likely. Some people never learn, and are proud of the fact. This isn't always a bad thing - it protects us, fingers crossed, from certain kinds of extremist politics - but it can be a right PITA on the road. We are a long way from my dream of perfect zip-merging: in which everyone doubles their road speed as they merge to make sure that a tailback doesn't form... I can dream, can't I?

:o}
And dreams apart, in the real world one could do worse than taking HJ's advice to 'merge when you feel comfortable doing so', which is what one usually does. And resist the temptation to de-merge again when the people in front come to a halt for no apparent reason, or some eager beaver screams past up the hard shoulder. You already know, after all, that lane closures are irksome, so enjoy the variety of irksomenesses on display, and don't get too worked up.
?As for road rage and deliberately blocking the road and being prepared to have an accident, I find it amazing that someone was willing to admit that on here. How foolish.?

Well, westpig as your comment was about me, may I remind you that anybody who wants to cut in at the last moment in front of me is, imo, a very rude, arrogant, incorrect and VERY FOOLISH driver. If he (you maybe?) want to do so and are prepared to hit my car because I wont give you a space then feel free and argue it in front of the insurers? My defence? I was in a queue as advised by the road markings when this more important faster driver tried to squeeze in from the right as part of an overtaking manoeuvre he had left too late! If the driver had been driving to the conditions and the road signs the incident would not have happened.

?don't find it amazing at all, especially as there are a few backroomers about who think their driving is superhuman and beyond reproach. ?

And jbif, my driving isn?t superhuman; its normal and polite, until a faster more important person thinks he can barge in at the last moment in front of me (and others).

If cars were in order BEFORE the pinch point the WHOLE queue would move faster. What on earth is so hard to understand about that?
Well westpig as your comment was about me may I remind you that anybody who
wants to cut in at the last moment in front of me is imo a
very rude arrogant incorrect and VERY FOOLISH driver. If he (you maybe?) want to do
so and are prepared to hit my car because I wont give you a space
then feel free and argue it in front of the insurers? My defence? I was
in a queue as advised by the road markings when this more important faster driver
tried to squeeze in from the right as part of an overtaking manoeuvre he had
left too late! If the driver had been driving to the conditions and the road
signs the incident would not have happened.

If the queue is flowing nicely I merge earlyish.... if the queue is static i use the most empty lane and merge at the end, as you are instructed to do i.e. 'use both lanes' and 'merge'.

i don't accelerate at the last minute, swerve in at the last minute or wait until i'm scraping the cones, because that would be ignorant and rude...but neither do i pull in many hundreds of yards early as some do.

when i get to the end and someone jealously guards their patch and is willing to fight for it or damage their/my car I let them get on with it, i patiently indicate, move forward with the flow, then thank the person that lets me in

that is what you are supposed to do, i can't understand why you'd think otherwise

Surely the literal meaning of "merge" doesn't include overtaking?

As it will take several hundred yards for the single line to stabilize separation and speed; there will always be a considerable length of empty lane - using that to queue-jump simply cannot be justified.

On a single-carriageway road with light-controlled road works; it's often possible to use the periodic absence of oncoming traffic to overtake the whole stationary queue and then cut in at the lights. Is that to be recommended too? It is "making use of both lanes." Or would that be reason to "offer advice?"
new kind of jobsworth - bostin
More or less what I would hope to do too WP. Thanks for putting things a lot more coherently than I previously managed!

Yorkiebar - may I suggest that you keep clear of WP on the road in the future as I fear you may end up getting into a bit of trouble if WP is in 'company' car (or have you retired WP?) ;-)

B.
Yorkiebar - may I suggest that you keep clear of WP on the road in the future as I fear you may end up getting into a bit of trouble if WP is in 'company' car (or have you retired WP?) ;-)

still going, but retirement looms......can't wait in many ways, but still enjoy doing it

some of the most enjoyment has been gained driving, in full uniform, in an unmarked car. One of the places i worked had an unmarked Honda Accord, with a 'kojak' blue lamp for the roof, which you could apply by opening the sunroof, blue lamps in the grills and sirens. When, rather than if, some clown did something stupid, you could gradually apply that lot starting with the kojak lamp and you could see their whole demeanour start to change.

I have a theory that bullies drive badly on the roads, because they think they can get away with it. Sometimes nice to see them get their come uppance.
It's quite obvious that the get in lane very early and stay there element and the merge when comfortable element are approaching this differently and can never ultimately agree.

They can live with each other provided no one is too stupid and provided no one thinks they are right and those who do it differently are wrong. And provided no one tries to control other traffic either by deliberately getting in its way or by trying to force their way into a non-existent gap.

HJ and Westpig have it right in my opinion. Some others are a shade on the uptight and sanctimonious side.

One reason why lane closures are a pain is that they halve the traffic speed instead of doubling it the way they should. The other is that it reminds one more intimately than usual of what an incredible, galloping pain in the fundament other drivers can be.
new kind of jobsworth - b308
Agreed Lud...

Another way of making m-i-t more obvious would be to change the layout of the cones at the end - instead of right hand lane merging into inside lane arrange the cones so they both go into a lane of cones which straggles the white line between the two and then switches as need be after the merge point (if that makes sense!!).

Edited by b308 on 14/07/2008 at 11:48

new kind of jobsworth - Bilboman
How about this as a general rule? "Use both lanes right up to the moment you observe that one solid queueing line been formed" ? When I need to merge, sometimes a tad speedily, it's usually because the solid line of robust queuers has only just come into sight (as I come over the brow of a hill or round a bend, for example.) At that point I slow down, indicator on, looking back and forth and demonstrate that I'm not pushing right to the front as that sort of behaviour puts everyone's back up.
If I can, I "let myself in" in front of a large slow moving lorry which is almost at a standstill as lory drivers tend to be more understanding of the situation. If there are no lorries about, then a mimser will find I slip in in front, but allowing plenty of room so as not to baulk him. All time favourite - only happened to me once - was a very gentle, almost imperceptible merge just in front of a BMW M3 which had just stalled. Priceless.
new kind of jobsworth - GJD
Got to agree with Westpig. Join the queue earlier than necessary if you choose. But if you do that, you can't reasonably object to someone who drives (safely and sensibly) past you and merges where the lane closes. If it was so important to keep them behind you, you could have easily achieved that by not merging until the obstruction too.

I was driving along a motorway once and the overhead signs started to announce lane closures ahead. In due course, the queue in lane 1 started somewhere around the 800 yard sign. I carried on in lane 2, intending to merge when my lane closed, only to find that, while the signs were still out, the obstruction had gone and all the lanes were open. Approximately half a mile of cars had joined a pretty much stationary queue waiting for absolutely nothing. I can't deny that I was just a little bit amused.

I'm sure that's extremely rare though.
I think that where you merge will depend a lot on your general attitude, rather than common sense on the situation.

Thats probably why I wont let anybody in (policeman or police car included unless blues and twos are showing) who leaves it to the very last second and intends to force himself in front of me. I am not intimidated by such a vehicle if it is not being driven with consideration for the road, conditions, markings and other drivers. (Might that just be in the HC too?)

Merge at a sensible point and I will willingly allow you in. Too late and it is too late !

Obvioulsy we will all have to agree to approach it dfferently. And people wonder why road rage happens?
Saw an interesting variation on this on the M4 yesterday morning. The motorway was closed at J5, so progress was v v slow. At one on ramp, which I was stationary next to for about 5 minutes, one driver was doing the "polite" thing and was stopped about halfway along the slip waiting for a gap to appear to get on the motorway. A whole load of other drivers went up his inside - non-aggressively - to queue at the tip of the slip road, thus putting him maybe 10 - 12 cars further back (if they all got on before he did) than when he joined the slip road.

I don't really understand why he chose not to use the full length of the slip road, but I instantly thought of this thread... :-)
new kind of jobsworth - GJD
I don't really understand why he chose not to use the full length of the
slip road but I instantly thought of this thread... :-)

I think the slip road onto a queueing rush hour motorway is a more common occurrance of needing to merge in turn than, for example, lanes closed due to roadworks. And I agree - I don't know why some people don't use the full length of the slip road available to them. That's up to them though.

It seems to me that in situations where people expect merging streams of traffic (e.g. a motorway on-slip that's always busy at rush hour, or a road in town that narrows from two lanes to one) the process of merging is much more amicable and efficient. There's always the occasional the twonk who glues their nose to the tail of the car in front, but they are in the minority.

It's where people weren't expecting to be held up (e.g. a lane closure, or unusual heavy traffic) that they forget how to be nice and the "get behind me where you belong" attitude comes out.
Motorway slip roads are quite long parallel to the motorway for a reason. When the motorway is busy, I try to match speeds with the traffic on it and arrive at the junction point signalling, then drift down the slip road foot off, but at near-motorway speed, waiting for someone to make a space. It usually works, but if it's pink fluffy dice day you can stop, cursing loudly, at the end of the slip road until a gap appears. Stopping is really the thing to avoid at almost all costs, and my heart always sinks when I find myself behind a terrified mimser on a slip road especially if the motorway is busy.

Edited by Lud on 15/07/2008 at 18:25

Stopping is really the thing to avoid at almost all costs and my heart always sinks when I find myself behind a terrified mimser on a slip road especially if the motorway is busy.

wholeheartedly agree, it is very, very dangerous
Merge at a sensible point and I will willingly allow you in

animation showing what happens when merging incorrectly [although related to joining from a slip road]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zHy0HfT8sQ&feature=related

videos :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsl42u9PVE&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bp4X3B0IB0&feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgQxteEcxHw&feature=related

Edited by jbif on 15/07/2008 at 18:40

new kind of jobsworth - Lounge Lizard
tinyurl.com/5uschm

The above link is to a Googlemaps image of a road in Widnes, Cheshire; close to the Runcorn-Widnes Bridge.

Imagine you are driving south down the A568 in Widnes towards the Runcorn-Widnes bridge. Before you arrive at the bridge, you have to merge into the A533.

However, before that merge with the A533, the A568 narrows from 2 lanes into 1 lane for the last couple of hundred yards or so. There's no problem with this when traffic is free-flowing. But sometimes that section of road (the A568 & A533) gets congested to a near stand-still. It can take 15 minutes to travel down the A568 and another 15 minutes to travel down the A533 and over the bridge.

So, in the above congested scenario, those drivers who stay in the inside lane will take 30 minutes to travel those road sections; whereas those drivers who stay in the outside lane of the A568 until it narrows from 2 lanes to 1 lane can drive down it in a couple of minutes so it'll only take them 17 minutes.

The problem is that the time-saving achieved by the 'outside laners' is directly at the expense of the 'inside laners'; because when they do merge with the inside lane they are adding, car-for-car, to the congestion delay.

There is no question of it being 'merge & zip' (or whatever the euphemism is) because you can't 'zip' into a slower stream of traffic.

I suggest to those 'outside-laners' that your behaviour is selfish & arrogant: you consider that your time is more valuable than those of us who patiently queue and wait our turn. Your time gain = our time lost, on top of the delay that we're already suffering.

However, where I agree with the 'outside-laners' would be in the above case if the A568 was congested but the A533 was free flowing. Now you can indeed 'merge & zip', the only extra delay you are causing is on the last few yards of the single lane section.

Now you can indeed 'merge & zip'

If everyone followed the "separation" rules, "merge & zip" should work all the time.
As illustrated by www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zHy0HfT8sQ&feature=related
and www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZsl42u9PVE&feature=related

I still say the most sensible and obvious thing is everyone use both lanes, no diving into gaps, and merge in turn at the end. That way there is no possible room for road rage.

To say that we should all stay in the queue is to bring up some philosophical absurdities. Should we join the back of a four mile queue if he second lane is empty? If not, should we dive in about half-way up? Or be aggressive and take advantage and go to the front? We're back at square one.

Gentlemen - MERGE IN TURN AT THE FRONT. I will be standing at the next by-election on this ticket.
East Lancs Road. Towards Manchester. Right hand lane closing in 600 yards. Must have been about 4 cars blocking the empty lane while keeping their place in queue. What is the cause of this Meldrew-like contagion?

ANYWAY - this time several cars part-mounted the central res to get through, and some of them were "having a word" as they went past.

Oh I did cheer. And as i did the same, I had a look at these characters, and they were all people you wouldn't play golf with. I didn't swear though. (This time). I told them to read\the highway code.

OK I did swear really, ha ha

I know I'm boring, before you tell me.
"ANYWAY - this time several cars part-mounted the central res to get through, and some of them were "having a word" as they went past. "

No excuse for mounting the kerb. Good job there wasn't an unmarked traffic car about. Shame on you.
No, not shame on me sirrah, shame on the self-righteous people who block an empty dual carriageway contrary to the Highway Code.
So you relish the thought of possibly hitting a road worker on the reservation or getting 3 points added to your license. If you read my previous posts on your thread, you will see that I agree with your merge idea, but cannot condone your transgression on this occasion. Patience is a virtue you obviously don't possess.

sirrah?
Are you accusing bananastand of being blind, scribe?

Bumping over a bit of kerb with due respect for tyres that will soon be rolling along, touch wood, at a merry 90 or 100mph again, surely cannot under most imaginable circumstances threaten a road worker?

I don't have much patience either. Indeed if we were all as patient as all that the automobile wouldn't have been invented, let alone the motorway.

Tchah!
what roadworker? The lanes were to merge in 600 yards. That's a long way.

I subscribe to the speed limit too.

No amount of twitting will convince me that blocking an empty road, out of sheer, constipated small-mindedness, is a good thing.

You MERGE IN TURN AT THE FRONT

the word "sirrah" can be found in most dictionaries
Oh come on bananastand. subscribe to it by all means, but surely you car can get up to 100 and back in 600 yards?

You might at least pretend that you quite enjoy skittling a few cones at these famous roadworkers as you merge slightly after the last moment. Stand up for yourself man!
pish pish my man, the cones were but a blur on the horizon. The roadworks themselves were but a dream of the future.

I am talking of an empty road, no more no less, blocked by Reginald Molehusband's wife in a fit of indignation.

You can no more legally block an open road than you can, say, petition the Lord with prayer.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/07/2008 at 01:27

new kind of jobsworth - CGNorwich

There are two strategies that treat all drivers fairly when one of two lanes are obstructed.

The first is to to merge into one queue as soon as advice of the obstruction is encountered.

The second is to merge into one queue at the obstruction.

The second is the preferable solution as it utilises the road space better and the length of the tailback is shorter. For this to work it must be adopted by all drivers

However

Since most drivers in this country adopt something like the first solution, even though it not the most logical, it is surely bad mannered and ignorant driving to gain an advantage over those queuing by driving past a long queue of traffic and forcing into that queue at the last moment.

I suspect that those who adopt this strategy are not so much interested in what is the more logical method of road use rather than in taking advantage of a way to progress at the expense of others. They will be regarded as "cheats" by the majority who will adopt strategies to avoid the perceived "cheating". Escalating road age will follow.

Best surely to adopt the "game" played by the majority and smile at its illogicality.

Bananastand, you do relish living dangerously, mounting the central and telling others off. Why take it so seriously?

I hope you don't become a statistic in the pursuit of this crusade.

new kind of jobsworth - DavidHM
Worst I've ever seen was when there was an accident on the inside lane of the M4 outside Reading and an M&S artic decided to block the outside lane so as to prevent people from getting past...
new kind of jobsworth - L'escargot
......... an M&S artic decided to block the outside lane so
as to prevent people from getting past...

The artic driver had obviously seen it all before and knew that the emergency services would need space in which to work and that vehicles driving right up to the scene of the accident would seriously hamper their work. I applaud the artic driver for his thoughtfulness.
"Oh I did cheer. And as i did the same, I had a look at these characters"

So at the time of the kerb mounting you were busy looking and spouting verbal the other way at all the other "Meldrews". Driving without due care and attention in my book considering the kerb transgression. A momentary loss of concentration could have ended in someone or object(possibly a countdown marker)being struck by you in your hurry.

Again, I agree with the principal you have explained in your earlier posts, but this action does nothing for your argument in my opinion.
new kind of jobsworth - oilrag
Personality Disorder is well represented on the roads.
new kind of jobsworth - Lounge Lizard
Let's consider an analogy.

Imagine that you're in a very busy supermarket and there aren't enough tills open. The queue of shopping trolleys starts to build up, and starts to back up outside the normal queueing area and down one of the aisles.

Shoppers who want to join the end of the queue have to do so part way down the aisle.

However, there may be other shoppers who don't notice the queue down the aisle (perhaps because they came to the till from a different direction). So, they push-in to the queue part-way down at the back of the normal queueing area.

Imagine how frustrating this would be for the shoppers queueing down the aisle! There they are patiently queueing - yet other shoppers are pushing-in to the queue half-way down. Every shopper who pushes in delays them by another few minutes.

Every shopper who pushes-in gets to exit the supermarket a lot quicker, but this is directly at the expense of the shoppers who join the end of the queue - there is no net benefit to the total community of the shoppers, i.e. the tills don't process shoppers more efficiently as a result of this pushing-in.

In this situation, we would expect the 'pushers-in' to be challenged and asked to join the back of the queue. This is why I support the so-called 'jobsworths' who do the same thing in the motoring situation. I have done this myself, but only if I've got a rugged, rubbish car. Like a 1991 Volvo estate.

new kind of jobsworth - Avant
Patience is a greatly overrated virtue.
Patience is a greatly overrated virtue.

Why exactly?
imagine a queue in a supermarket, where people are patiently waiting. The next queue at the next till is virtually empty. For some u/k reason many people prefer to stay in the first queue, so some customers transfer to the more empty queue. They of course get through quicker.

Some people in the first queue don't like this and see it as queue jumping, but in reality they could have availed themselves of the same principle

... and ironically there's a great big sign in the store stating use both tills!
The next queue at the next till is virtually empty.

Not really the same as an obstructed cariageway where there is effectively there is only one "till" open. If you were in a supermarket with one till open and there was an orderly queue of 20 people would you form a parallel queue and barge in at the front claiming the right to alternate merging. I suggest not and if tried at our local ASDA I would not rate your survival chances.
if Asda put up a sign saying 'please queue in two lines' and 'merge in turn' at the end, then yes i would

particulalry if they didn't want the one queue being too long and going out the door into the car park where it might be dangerous

e.g m/way queue going too far and going around a corner
if Asda put up a sign saying 'please queue in two lines' and 'merge in turn' at the end, then yes i would

You are saying that if the 20 people queing had decided to ignore the notice and form one queue as was their custom then you would walk up to the front of the queue and demand the right to merge in turn and be served next. You would not expect any reaction from the big tattooed guy with a trolley full of beer whose place you had usurped?
You would not expect any reaction from the big tattooed guy with a trolley full of beer whose place you had usurped?

i take the point....but...which way SHOULD it be done. If the supermarket/ Highways Authority ask you and expect you to do it a certain way, why not comply

p.s. how do you know i'm not large, ugly and covered in tattoos..:-)
If the supermarket/ Highways Authority ask you and expect you to do it a certain way, why not comply

Well of course in and ideal word everyone would and as I have already stated the dual queue merge at obstruction is the most effective system. If the majority have decided otherwise and decided on single queue system then you really have to accept their decision, like it or not, if you want to avoid being perceived as a "cheat" by their rules and avoid confrontation.

How do I know you're not large, ugly and covered in tattoos?

Always assumed you were! :-)
If the majority have decided otherwise and decided on single queue system then you really have to accept their decision like it or not if you want to avoid being perceived as a "cheat" by their rules and avoid confrontation.

that's my problem, i've never been good at 'following the crowd', ..:-)
new kind of jobsworth - drbe
if Asda put up a..................
trolley full of beer whose place you had usurped?

The analogy is erroneous and invalid.
The analogy is erroneous and invalid.

what that is saying to me is despite the fact the authorities/major store want you to do something in a certain way, you'd have to consider not doing it, in case Neanderthal man doesn't like it
Westpig and Norwich are getting very close to the holy grail of roadworks ettiquette.

It takes a couple of giant signs, possibly in "janet and john" font so even some of our more recalcitrant posters can understand, that say:

USE BOTH LANES

and

MERGE IN TURN

Gentlemen... problem solved!

As I proposed at the start! Waiter, more brandy!