Pulling out of side roads - Roger Jones
On four occasions recently, people have slowly and deliberately pulled out of side roads in front of me and blocked my way until there was a gap in oncoming traffic. Three of these incidents happened in NSL zones, the other in a town centre. In all cases I anticipated what might happen, so was ready to slow down from the speed limit and there was no drama. For those who know the area, one of these happened at the dangerous junction on the A1081 just south of the M1 junction 10A south of Luton, a place where I always anticipate trouble because the emerging traffic's judgement of speed on the main road seems to be more often wrong than right.

What is going on? Have I just been unlucky or is there some new kind of suicidal pushinesss emerging?
Pulling out of side roads - gordonbennet
Up to a point i can understand frustration with sitting waiting endlessly for a gap at a right turn, but in towns at urban speeds, not at NSL, but heck no one seems to be able to judge speed, distance or the line a vehicle will take anymore.

The ones who really annoy are the fools who pull out in front going your way, but slowly so you have to brake, and then when you are doing their speed, will boot their usually powerful car leaving you standing and wondering what you've done to deserve it.

Trouble is these people know that if there should be a collision, you the driver of the vehicle with the right of way will be wrong because you were speeding, doesn't matter if you were or not, try arguing with it.

SWMBO thinks its a power thing, same as the crew who try to control everyone else's speed by making overtaking them as difficult as possible, you know the ones who travel at 45mph along a NSL 2 way road, and increase to 80 the second they reach a dual carriage or 3 lane section, plus their cohorts, the ones just behind them that couldn't overtake a milk float, but squeeze as tight behind the leader as possible to deter anyone else from doing so. Should see their faces when she blitz's the lot of 'em.

Not hijacking Roger, but when i'm going home from work, the 2 way A road will usually far too busy to present an overtake, i'm probably somewhere at the rear of 20 or more cars/trucks, not a hope in hell of getting anywhere, so i follow duly at about 100-150 yds behind at their speed 40 to 50 mph; why does the driver behind me sit 6 ft from my back bumper trying to speed me up, and the females are far worse for this.

Pulling out of side roads - GJD
This is people turning right out of the side road - you are approaching from their right and they need to cross your lane? Is that the scenario?

If so, there is another side to it. If I am emerging from a side road to turn right I am not averse to pulling half way out if it's clear to do so (which either means that there is no traffic coming from my right, or if there is, it's so far away that it's going to take some time to get to me). It's usually not long before someone in the line of traffic coming from my left lets me in at very little inconvenience to themselves, for which they get thanked.

I'm sure plenty of people would tell me I'm not supposed to do that and I should just wait until there is a gap in both directinos simultaneously. And technically they are probably right. But in the spirit of "we're all just trying to get somewhere", and for the sake of the people behind me in the queue waiting to get out, I tend to favour a more proactive approach.

The flip side is that I try to always let out someone who is making a safe and proactive attempt to get out of a side road (which is very different from causing surprise or cutting people up). After all, tomorrow, I could be the person sat behind them in the queue waiting to emerge, and there is nothing more frustrating than being stuck behind a mimser who won't budge until they can see half a mile of clear road in both directions.

If I end up waiting half way out for so long that you, coming from my right, have to slow down because I am in your way, I regard the selfishness of the several (at least) drivers who all had plenty of time to see me but chose not to lift off and let me in as being at least as much responsible as me, if not more so, for your inconvenience.

That's in traffic around town. Doing it on open, fast NSL roads requires a stouter heart.
Pulling out of side roads - kithmo
So you're a control freak then GJD, who put you in charge of traffic control ?
When turning right out of a side street, you pull out over a Give way/Stop line and impede the progress of traffic on the priority road AND when you are on the priority road, you stop and impede traffic behind you to give way to others who do the same. The road markings are there for a reason, i.e. traffic priorties and flow. By stopping traffic on the priority route you are causing a tailback which could have a domino effect, causing hold ups elsewhere.
By stopping traffic on the priority route you are causing a tailback
which could have a domino effect causing hold ups elsewhere.

Hmmm. And the tailback on the side road I'm trying to emerge from? Or the tailback behind the person I let turn across the front of me? Those don't have domino effects or cause holdups anywhere then?

No, actually now I think about it you're right. It's all so clear to me now. No need for congestion charging. No need for punitive measures to reduce the number of cars on the road. We can fix all our transport problems by banning courtesy. It's so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of it already.
Pulling out of side roads - kithmo
Hmmm. And the tailback on the side road I'm trying to emerge from? Or the
tailback behind the person I let turn across the front of me? Those don't have
domino effects or cause holdups anywhere then?

Yes, factored in to the design of the road markings, the very reason why some roads have priority over others.
No actually now I think about it you're right. It's all so clear to me now. No need for congestion charging. No need for punitive measures to reduce the number of cars on the road. We can fix all our transport problems by banning courtesy.

It's so obvious I can't believe I didn't think of it already.

Ah, sarcasm, the lowest form of wit.

Pulling out of side roads - skorpio
Do you want to know what really gets my goat?

It's when I'm following a car. Behind me are at least 5 other vehicles. Ahead of us on the opposite side of the road is a vehicle waiting to turn right across our path.

So what does the idiot in front of me do?

Yep, you guessed it, he slows or stops allowing one lousy car to make its right turn.
This results in a queue of cars now having to stop, change gear, start off again all using more fuel, causing more wear and tear and noise pollution and making 5 people a few minutes later instead of just one person.

Had all 5 cars just driven past, the person waiting to turn right would only have had to wait a few seconds to make their manoeuvre.
Being a good samaritan on the road is comendable, but at least have a thought for the effect your actions have on other motorists.

Now where did I put the dried frog pills...

Do you want to know what really gets my goat?
It's when I'm following a car. Behind me are at least 5 other vehicles. Ahead
of us on the opposite side of the road is a vehicle waiting to turn
right across our path.
So what does the idiot in front of me do?
Yep you guessed it he slows or stops allowing one lousy car to make its
right turn.

That can be annoying from the other side too. If I am the car waiting to turn across you and a few others, but I can see a gap in the oncoming traffic, I am already planning the manoeuvre - timing when I'm going to move off, looking around, assessing any hazards now and at the time I will start to move, and then someone oncoming slows to let me turn in front of them. Suddenly all my timing is thrown off and I've got to hurriedly reassess everything.

But I'd still rather see that than the opposite situation - trying to turn into or across a stream of traffic as far as the eye can see and not one of them lets you in because they're worried it might affect their sexual prowess.
Pulling out of side roads - Bilboman
Best thing to do when trying to emerge from a side road, in the absence of a passing police officer or traffic warden (hah, never there when you need them) is to get a passenger to jump out and throw him/herself in front of traffic and physically make them stop. Well, it worked for Rhys Ifans in "Notting Hill".
Question; do PCSOs have the power to stop traffic? My cub scout leader had no trouble marching into the middle of a busy road in full uniform (beret, neckerchief, the lot!) and stopping traffic with the steely glare that revealed to the world that he was a full time policeman, too.
Pulling out of side roads - gordonbennet
My cub scout leader had no
trouble marching into the middle of a busy road in full uniform

Our family funeral directors late father was good at the traffic too, he would walk ahead of the hearse brandishing a huge walking stick which was raised high and shaken at anyone who dared to cross his path.
His sons have his flair too, but need a little training in the 'glare', it will probably come in time.

Hopefully next time i won't see how they are progressing...think about it...
Pulling out of side roads - Dwight Van Driver
Traffic Signs and General Directions 2002
Direction 25 - Road markings.
Offence:
The requirement conveyed by the transverse lines shown in diagram 1003,(Give Way Triangle on road) whether or not they are placed in conjunction with the sign shown in diagram 602 (Give Way sign) 1023 (double dotted white line across junction), shall be that no vehicle shall proceed past such one of those lines as is nearer the major road into that road in a manner or at a time likely to endanger the driver of or any passenger in a vehicle on the major road or to cause the driver of such a vehicle to change its speed or course in order to avoid an accident.

dvd
Pulling out of side roads - Cliff Pope
Note that it only says "in order to avoid an accident". Not to avoid annoyance, irritation, or inconvenience.
Note that it only says "in order to avoid an accident". Not to avoid annoyance
irritation or inconvenience.

Well if I've pulled out halfway across the road waiting for someone to let me in and you later approach from my right, if you don't change speed or course you will hit me.

[I'm not arguing against myself - I already accepted that I might not be supposed to do what I described]
Pulling out of side roads - Westpig
my main gripe is people pulling out right in front and then bimbling. GET A MOVE ON.

The Highway Code states you shouldn't cause another driver to have to brake or deviate, so use the loud pedal to match the traffic flow quicker than you usually would and thereby not inconvenience anyone else. Common courtesy if nothing else.
"This is people turning right out of the side road - you are approaching from their right and they need to cross your lane? Is that the scenario?"

Yes, that's it, forcing me and anyone behind me to brake to avoid an accident, our right of way notwithstanding. It sure reinforces the habit of trying to anticipate hazards. I can imagine plenty of people not anticipating and carrying on merrily on a "my right of way" assumption.

"That's in traffic around town. Doing it on open, fast NSL roads requires a stouter heart."

Not a stouter heart but a dose of insanity.
Pulling out of side roads - bananastand
GJD is right. Give courtesy and expect to receive courtesy. Don't drive as if you're attempting to "capture" that next bit of road before someone else.

Pulling out of side roads - roy59
GJD is right. Give courtesy and expect to receive courtesy. Don't drive as if you're
attempting to "capture" that next bit of road before someone else.

Good manners cost nothing and may save you time in the long run.
If someone flashes me in or out i always thank them, usually with a wave and a smile and i nearly always get a smile back from the ladies.

Pulling out of side roads - slowdown avenue
the problem could be that these days, some junctions you never get a gap, and you have to just leg it quick. the junction in question probaly needs modifcation
Pulling out of side roads - ForumNeedsModerating
It's a matter of degree isn't it? (like most give-and-take situations..)

If I'm held up more than a couple of minutes (rare these days where I live -but common in London & HCs where I used to) I'll 'take' an empty piece of road (..and there are no cars coming on that side) to leverage into the opposite lane. Contrary to what's been posted, the highway code (& commonsense) encourages making progress safely - no-one owns forever a piece of road & under no circumstances is to be held up for a millisecond. London (or cabbies at least..) would grind to a halt if many slavishly 'obeyed' that mistaken HC ordinance quoted earlier.

There's another misunderstanding you often come across - people waiting forever at a rondabout because they spy another vehicle vaguely to their right - wastes everyones' time if you wait for a free & clear roundabout - I often merge to the outer lane if clear & will happily
sprint out in front of a dawdler. It freaks out some of the country bumpkins up here - mind you, they still point at planes!
Pulling out of side roads - bathtub tom
This happened to me.

A car pulled out of a junction to my left, wanting to turn right, and waited for traffic approaching from his left to leave a gap for him. The road was wet, and he hadn't left me a lot of braking space. I had enough room to stop, but while I had my foot on the brake , I looked in the mirror and saw a motorcycle struggling to stop in the gap behind me. I left him as much room as I could by stopping very close to the side of the car in front of me. The driver of the car in front of me (waiting to turn right) wasn't looking at me! He turned right, leaving a lot of his door trim and paint hanging off my chrome bumper;>)
Pulling out of side roads - Cliff Pope
I know, it's a tempting option if you are driving something tough.
I once had someone deliberately pull out straight in front of me and then sit broadside on waiting for a gap the other way. I stopped moderately quickly, and pulled up with my landrover bumper about an inch from his door. Because of the position of a traffic bollard he couldn't now continue and cut the corner, nor could he open his door and get out and argue.

I let him sweat for a while and then moved back a bit so that he could edge forward, still managing to scrape his paintwork. Childish but satisfying.
" the problem could be that these days, some junctions you never get a gap, and you have to just leg it quick. the junction in question probaly needs modifcation"

You never get a gap? Don't believe it.

Leg it quick? That's the way to do it, when it is safe to do so. But I'm talking about people who drove slowly and deliberately out into the main carriageway.

The one junction I cited has, from the side road, perfect visibility to the right for several hundred yards, and good visibility to the left for less distance. It doesn't need redesigning, and neither do the others where the incidents occurred.
yes i know the junction. it is up for improvementby herts council, maybe due to many frequent accidents, you may have noticed the previous junction has altered near luton hoo, iwonder if they got them to pay for it.
i think you must admit there are some junction at the busy times where the luxury of a clear road in both directions is not happening
Pulling out of side roads - Muggy
Yesterday I saw a prime example of how not to pull out from a side road.

I was southbound on the A240 from Tolowrth towards Epsom, in the right hand lane. It's a 40mph dual carriageway and was fairly busy at the time.

Half way along, there is a side road; cvan't remember the name but it's shortly before a large carvery restaurant.

Silver people cqarrier pulls out of side road stright into the right hand lane; people in both lanes - myself included - had to brake sharply from the full 40mph; with the traffic volume it is a miracle there was not a major pile up.

A little further along, the driver of the silver vehicle compounded his error by turning right into the Ewell Court estate, which involved him braking sharply from 40 in the right hand lane and then turning right into a road called Bradford drive - this is an exit only; the only legal way of getting into Bradford Drive from there is to continue quarter of a mile to a roundabout called Beggar's Hill and then come back again.

And yes, he did cut across the stream of northbound traffic to carry out this illegal right turn.

And unfortunately no, I don't know his number plate - it was a new style one which is more difficult to remember than the older style ones. I can remember it was a 53 plate, but that's it. So there isn't much point reporting him is there?
. . . and it's just happened again. A1081 south of Harpenden: wide road with perfect visibility in both directions. 40 mph limit, but exceeded by many because the road is wide and straight. I was northbound doing 40 and fearing the worst: just as well, as woman in a family-packed Micra or similar, with my approach fully in view, steadily and deliberately pulls out from a LH junction and blocks my way. What is going on?
Pulling out of side roads - Pugugly
What is going on?

Stereo/fighting kids/credit crunch/celebs fears and all the other things that occupy people's minds other than the task in hand.
Pulling out of side roads - Sofa Spud
A long time ago, I used to live and drive in the outer London area, where pulling half-way across the road was more-or-less accepted in congested streets. But try it down here in the South West at your peril!
roger, please try and come out from this junction, visibility is not always perfect. I agree with what you say, but i feel the junction needs altering, but a couple more people need to get killed first, you know how it is. probaly if this junction fell into luton they wuold have improved it by now
Pulling out of side roads - jase1
In these kind of cases, and I know there are a lot of drivers around who do this, I think you'd be entirely justified if they force you to brake in giving them a good, sound blast of the horn and flash them.

If everyone did it, maybe they would stop.
Pulling out of side roads - Andrew-T
There is a junction in Frodsham between a B-road and the A56, where zebra-crossing lights were installed several years ago, 10 yards away. This was penny-pinching, as a full set of junction lights would have been better. Despite clear lines and GiveWay signage, there are enough drivers being courteous to others to make those almost irrelevant, and random tailbacks and confusion can be watched at busy times of day. Occasional concessions can help traffic flow, but too many can be almost worse than none. I am waiting for the first serious collision, to see how officialdom reacts.

Edited by Pugugly on 13/09/2008 at 17:59

Pulling out of side roads - Andrew-T
PS - I didn't realise I lived in a place with a naughty name ...
slowdown avenue

I have used that junction.

Go to Google maps and put "Harpenden, Hertfordshire" in the location box.

Zoom in to Harpenden and nudge south the the roundabout junction of the A1081 and Redbourn Lane. Nudge north to the junction with the A1081 just north of Greyfriars Lane. Here you have the A1081 almost straight and almost wide enough to accommodate four lanes, but it's two lanes. There are no buildings in site along the road and no vegetation impeding views from junctions. That's what I call perfect visibility.