New Tyres! - a vertable minefield! - Quacker1964
Please help or point in the right direction. I have 2003 Micra and require all new tyres (well actually 3 out of 4 - but thought it best to replace all 4)

I'm literally spoilt for choice - just too many options and it is starting to hurt! - At present I have narrowed the choice to four tyres but I do not know of a comparison site or indeed much about tyres as this is the first time I will have had to buy them!

Bridgestone B391 - as supplied with the car £200 all-in
Bridgestone B250 - £200 all-in
Firestone F590 £177.08
Michelin Energy Saver £170.24

The above are the best prices I have found (online or other) for the chosen tyres. I'm not even sure if they are suitable and which are better -obviously manufacturers have their claims and dealers have their own agendas etc.

This isn't a plea for the best price/cheapest tyres, but a request for choosing the correct ones - basically does anyone know of any reliable and independent review sites?

Apologies if I've put this in the wrong section, but this seemed a logical place.

Steve

New Tyres! - a vertable minefield! - Roger Jones
Which? magazine does regular reviews. For me it's always Michelin, for durability (usually cheapest at Costco).

Reviews at:
tinyurl.com/3sb72

www.etyres.co.uk/car-tyres-batteries
www.blackcircles.com/
www.micheldever.co.uk/
www.mytyres.co.uk/
www.protyre.co.uk/
www.valuetyres.co.uk/default.php

And for general info:
www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
Thanks Roger for the lightening response! It seems I am on the right track - I have checked out some of the above sites already - just need to know I am getting the correct tyre for my needs.

I will check out the reviews section - and carbibles too - thanks.

Oh and the last thing I did before I posted was ring Costco for a quote - and that was the Michelin Energy Savers - also the best price - not that cost is an issue.

Safety and noise level are primary aims.

I'm off to do some more research - cheers

Steve
Which? magazine does regular reviews. For me it's always Michelin for durability (usually cheapest at
Costco).

Hello again Roger

Are there any current reviews for the Energy Saver? - regret to say my Which? subs ran out. There seems to be little reviews of Energy Savers and none on the website you kindly pointed out to me.

Still trawling through :-)

Steve
New Tyres! - a vertable minefield! - gordonbennet
I use this one, its a user review site, so make of it what you will, i think it gives a reasonable cross section of views.

tinyurl.com/8hba5
Edit...Roger beat me to it...

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/07/2008 at 11:47

New Tyres! - a veritable minefield! - Tron
National tyres currently have a BOGOFF offer on Firestone and Barum tyres limited sizes see here:

tinyurl.com/6hatrp

Edited by Tron on 11/07/2008 at 11:54

New Tyres! - a veritable minefield! - buzbee
Micra Tyres

If you have the Micra SE of that date it has a wider tyre than the base model and was fitted with Dunlop SP300 ones. It has 60 profile which restricts the options on buying tyres.

I narrowed it down to either the SP300, Ventus Hankook K105, or the Toyo Proxes CF1 and then compared their parameters like Wet grip, Braking, Tyreware etc.

The SP300 seemed to me to come out top overall:-

Tyrewear was 1.6 against 3.1 and 2.6 for the other two.

Rest of figures below, for the three are, bigger the better:-

noise internal was 2.5, 2.1, 2.4, slightly noisier -- hope this is bigger the better but not all that different.
Wet grip was 2.9, 2.9, 2.3
Braking was 2.9, 2.7, 2.3 -- the best was the SP300.
Comfort was 2.5, 2.2, 2.1, whatever that means.

Best price I found was £68 each (total cost) fitted (68 pounds).

Edited by buzbee on 11/07/2008 at 12:26

New Tyres! - a veritable minefield! - Quacker1964
Micra Tyres
If you have the Micra SE of that date it has a wider tyre than
the base model and was fitted with Dunlop SP300 ones. It has 60 profile which
restricts the options on buying tyres.

>>

Sorry Buzbee, I should have mentioned it was the base model - just a 1.0E (5dr) which came with Bridgestone B391's - which I can get again, or try something different. Therein lies the quandry lol.

Sorry if I misled.

Steve
New Tyres! - a veritable minefield! - Quacker1964
Thanks all - each time I make a phone call the choice becomes larger - not smaller lol. On the review site you quoted, I tried to look up the energy saver Michelin tyre - but there is loads of differing versions! - any idea which it is?

I feel the Energy Savers are looking favourite as are available to fit local this afternoon - maximum convenience.