96 2.0 Running Hot; Sluggish; Won't Start When Hot - Richie - SRi
Hi all

Found your great site and it has helped me out on the past. Now I am stuck.

I have a Vectra B that had the cam belt snap on it due to a fault with the water pump. Replaced cam belt, re-fitted head (16 valves bent and twisted) got it all running again and now I have a cooling prolem.

I can start the car fine when cold, 2nd air pump works and car runs sweet. Car then heats up remarkably quickly. to about 100 but radiator fan doesn't kick in. The fan does work because it has been tested.

The hose from engine to rad is hot. The bottom hose is warm to hot. the water in expansion tank is cold to warm. The expansion tank does hiss and bubble when cap is loosened.

the car run's fine although it does appear sluggish, the air through the blowers is warm at first but soon cools down to cold.

When i stop the car it won't start up untill it goes cold again. When running its about 100 constant sometimes going over but never under 95.

I have noticed the 2nd air pump is constantly pumping though.

Its had a new thermostat and coolant temperature sensor.

Any ideas as to what the issue could be ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/07/2008 at 20:21

96 2.0 Running Hot; Sluggish; Won't Start When Hot - shadyarea
Sounds like the head could be warped, you say the water pump went, before it gave up did engine over heat.Did you check surface of head to check it was flat before it went back on ,have you done a compression test?are you using water
Hi shadyarea

Yes the head was proffessionally skimmed, tested and re-built by a reputable firm. I have used this company before over the years and they are good..

They removed the old valves, guides, etc and replaced all damaged ones. I told them to replace the full 16 valves even though only 12 needed changing.

Engine never overheated when the cambelt snapped. It was running about 80ish.

compression is fine, car is responsive and runs well until i turn the engine off when hot then it struggles to start.

I have noticed that it heats up very quickly. we are talking a metter of 1-2 mins and it shows as 90+

96 2.0 Running Hot; Sluggish; Won't Start When Hot - Screwloose

Where did the water pump come from? Maybe it's got a loose impeller?
again a reputable spares shop that I have used for a few years now.

I have noticed the fan won't kick in untill i slacken the expansion bottle cap off then it spins. could a faulty cap cause this ???
96 2.0 Running Hot; Sluggish; Won't Start When Hot - Screwloose

The problem with non-genuine parts is their unknown failure rate; this has all the hallmarks of poor circulation.

Releasing the cap may simply flow hot water on to a sensor.
96 2.0 Running Hot; Sluggish; Won't Start When Hot - bathtub tom
Vapour lock?

I'm not familiar with this engine. Is there a procedure for bleeding the cooling system?
I know this shop is good. They use only the best. They are a bit more expensive than most but I have known and used them for a lot of years now. I am sure the parts will be ok.

I did however strip all the electrics off the engine yesterday, cleaned the connectors, replaced worn ones and wires.

I noticed that 2 of the vacuum pipes had split connectors so replaced these also.

Will update you all if this was the problem when I test run it on my way to work.

Edited by Richie - SRi on 14/07/2008 at 11:40