Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - Paul Robinson
Spoke to someone yesterday who suggested that after I've left my car (1998 Peugeot 406 1.9TD)parked up for 2.5 weeks, the alarm will have drained the battery to the extent that it may not be able to turn over a diesel engine.

Can anyone confirm or dispute this?
Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - PhilW
From personal experience (but no technical knowledge!!) I would say it would be very unlikely. I have often left my BX with alarm and immobiliser etc for a month with no ill effects. If you are worried about it how about leaving a key with a friend/neighbour and asking them to start it once a week for you?
PhilW
Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - Toad, of Toad Hall.
If it reallly bothers you Halfords sell a trickle charger for 10 quid. Nothing snazzy just a constant 300mA.
--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - P.Mason {P}
A neighbour who uses her car only very occasionally has a solar panel which trickle-charges the battery even on an overcast day. I've seen them advertised for about £25.
P.
Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - Dynamic Dave
If you are worried about it how about leaving a key
with a friend/neighbour and asking them to start it once a
week for you?

Just starting the vehicle for a short length of time will drain the battery more than an armed alarm system will.
Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - John S
paul

Shouldn't be a problem. I've left newish cars parked like this for several weeks without problems.

If you are really worried, get one of the Airflow battery conditioners (probably better than a continuous trickle charger) - seee FAQ 1 for website details. I use one on my litle used Minor.

Regards

John S
Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - Armitage Shanks{P}
Are you parking up at home or on an airport long stay car-park? If the former one of the chargers will do, if at the airport the owners or your breakdown service will give you a start with jump leads. I have heard of modern car's batteries going flat while parked AND I have heard of ECUs being damaged by jump starting.
Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - Dizzy {P}
"I have heard of ECUs being damaged by jump starting."

BMW advise the following jump start procedure (for a negative earth car) in which item 6 is designed to avoid any system damage:

1. Check that the second car has a battery of approximately the same capacity in ampere/hours (marked on the battery).
2. Leave the flat battery connected to the car's electrical system.
3. Do not allow the bodywork of the two cars to touch.
4. First connect the positive terminals of the two batteries together, then connect the negative of the second car's battery to your own negative or to an earthed part of the body or engine.
5. If the battery of the second car is also weak, run its engine to boost the charge.
6. Start your own engine in the usual way and keep it running. Then, BEFORE DISCONNECTING THE JUMP LEADS, switch on the lights, rear window heater and maximum heater blower speed to avoid an overvoltage upon disconnection.
7. Disconnect the jump leads in the opposite order to that described above and then switch off the lights, etc.

Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - Armitage Shanks{P}
Dizzy, thanks for that info re jump starts. I knew that there was some critical sequence of events involved but not just what. Very useful to see it in print!
Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - JohnD
I quite often leave my Xantia TD standing for more than two weeks (have the use of a second car) and it never fails to start. Of course - it will depend upon the age of the battery.
Pug 406 - Holiday flat battery - Flat in Fifth
Paul,

Have regularly left 405s (not 406) 1.7TD and 1.9TD at airports for over two weeks even in winter. Started first go, every time. Starter cranking speed normal to boot.

HTH