Xantia roof bars. - M.M
Anyone with these fitted?

Bogush asked.....do its roof bars bolt into holes behind the pairs of disks behind the rubber seals over the doors

I haven't fitted any and none of the cars I look after have them. I'm sure I remember one customer fitting some for a holiday though and being cross that the dealer told him they would have to fit them and then when he didn't want them on he would be able to remove the cross rails but the four uprights would remain. He hated this as they looked ugly and gave some wind noise.

I'm sure last time the car was here he'd taken the uprights off and indeed the painted over rubber disks you mention were missing and just holes showing where they were. I never looked though to see exactly how the uprights fitted to the roof. I guess there must be a captive thread within these holes.

David W
Xantia roof bars. - Citroënian {P}
Hi David,

My Xantia came with fitted Citroen roofbars, and they are indeed bolted to the body behind the rubber seals over the doors. There's no fitting on the roof at all.

When I removed mine a year or so ago, I didn't have the covers for the holes so just screwed the screws back in and it seems fine. If you'd like me check out any of the technical ("captive thread?!") things, let me know the car's just outside.

HTH,
Lee.
Xantia roof bars. - M.M
Nice to see you here again Lee, been busy?

Yes please have a look and see if it is just a thread or some kind of crafty clip-in arrangement.

Selfish that I am my car (also outside) is still fitted with the painted over hole plugs and I don't want to take them out as I never intend to fit bars.

David W
Xantia roof bars. - bogush
Yes please have a look and see if it is just
a thread or some kind of crafty clip-in arrangement.
Selfish that I am my car (also outside) is still fitted
with the painted over hole plugs and I don't want to
take them out as I never intend to fit bars.

So they're rubber plugs, not just a stick on seal?

I'd been checking out roof bar fittings for the Xantia and found that the Paddy Hopkirk adapter kit for the Xantia is the same one as for the Granada (my previous car and roof bars).

Supposedly then the Xantia will have the same threaded hole behind the seal/plug as the Granada. The Granada just had a seal that you pierced. But I didn't want to go poking about to find that I'd done some damage/opened up the wrong hole, etc.

Do the official Citroen bars have two bolts per leg to match the two plugs - my original Granada (and others) adapter fitting, and the newer version for Granada/Xantia and others is a single bolt per leg.

If anyone's interested Halfords do the basic bars (not sure if that contains "standard" fitting feet) for £45 (cheaper than my "local" car accessories shop - £60) and the adapter kits for £12.
Yes, just returned from my leaving do at the current job! Now heading back home proper so should be around here a bit more.

I'll check the car tonight and let you know how it fits together; I'd do it now but it's torrential rain here and Durham so I might wait for a bit.

Lee
...Loves Driving, Hates Garages
Xantia roof bars. - Bromptonaut
I assume we are talking saloons here and not estates which have concealed longitudinal bars. The Citroen accesoire transverse bars which clip into these are weird curved jobbies, not much good either for bikes, which acquire an alarming lean, or anything other than a propietary Citroen roofbox if such a beast existed, Thule bars and footing kit much better.

But, why is the xantia estate weight limit for roof bars only 75kg compared to 100kg for the near identical Pug 406?
Well, with the best laid plans I'm still not here as much as I'd like, but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes - anyhow apologies for not getting back earlier.

Had a fiddle with the screws and they seem to attach into something within the hole (something like a RAWplug?) and you can screw them in and out as many times as you like, the body doesn't seem to suffer, nor does the screw.

Sorry my technical explanation is so dodgy, but I hope it helps. If you like I could send a couple of photos to show the thing in & out of the socket.

Cheers,
Lee.
Calling Lee H - bogush
I'm about to fit my roof bars.

The rubber bung was just a sticky patch sealing the tapped bolt holes.

With the Granada there were scored removable cutouts in the rubber trim you could screw the bolts through.

No such feature on the Xantia.

Was your fitting bolted straight to the roof and the rubber seal dropped back over leg and bolt?

Or was there a hole cut in the seal to suit?

Thanks in advance if you see this and can answer.

Calling Lee H - Citroënian {P}
Hi,

The fittings were behind the rubber seals, not through them if I understand you correctly. It looks like my bars were fitted from new (marks where they were removed) and it doesn't seem to have affected the seals having them fitted behind the rubber or removing them afterwards.

Sorry again that my description is a bit iffy, but you get the attachment screwed to the body, then the seal, then the door.

Regards,
Lee
Calling Lee H - bogush
I get the picture.

Thanks!
The Lowdown - bogush
Finally sorted the roof bars.

1) The Fixing Holes

There are pairs of painted over circular polythene(?) patches covering, I presume, pairs of threaded fixing holes over each door. I only opened up the back ones of each pair.

These are behind the black rubber "gutter" sealing trim over the doorways.

2) The "Gutter" Trim

Don't worry about damaging this or unsticking it.

The rubber is actually "clipped"/press fitted onto a metal detail over the doorway. The metal detail looks like a miniature gutter.

You won't get the fixing bolt in, in fact I couldn't get the fixing strap/clamp plate into position properly, with the trim in place, as I eventually had to concede!;-(

Once you've got the fixing in place then you can refit the trim into place. It will be a tight fit between the metal "gutter" and the bolt (and washer that I had to add). Have a wedge shaped bit of wood handy instead of the screwdriver I used - I didn't damage anything but you probably risk tearing the trim or slipping and scratching the paintwork (I like to do a proper job, but I'm too lazy to fetch the proper gear, so I usually end up with a proper bodge!;-)

3) The Piccy

See here:

www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=96157&...1

4) The Roof Bars

My original roof bars were old Paddy Hopkirk ones that came with a selection of "standard" adapters if I recall correctly, but they needed special adapters for my Granada (which also fitted some other cars).

The Granada adapters for the latest Paddy Hopkirk bars are listed as also fitting the Xantia, as well as some other cars.

But as my old ones were looking tatty, and for once I had a car that was newer and worth more than my roof bars I thought I'd splash out on some new ones (but not that much!;-)

As noted above the Paddy Hopkirk bars, plus adapters came to nearly £60. The Halfords bars were cheaper (£40?) but had no(?) fittings, and the fittings were £20. Thule...... well my "new" car wasn't that expensive!

But then I spotted some bars in the Index catalogue for £60 which I thought were Paddy Hopkirk ones....For cars with or without gutters.... Fits over 95% of vehicles.... Patented fastening system.

Thought that they might just telescope together and clamp the car roof like those telescopic ones you used to see a lot of a while back. Do they still do them?

They turned out to be Italian(?). "Colaprico" on the box plus "TUV product service" and "GS geprufte Sichezrheit".

In fact they come with 5 profiles of leg fitting clamps/straps, some of which bolt in place. But there is an adjustable tie bar that pulls the bottom of the feet together.

35 makes listed, and over 150 models, plus all gutterless cars.

But note that it didn't come with a parts list, so I'm not sure if I was missing the right bolts, some washers, or even the parts list!;-)

Also the instructions aren't too good. The English is OK, but they'd missed some bits out - easy to spot (hopefully all of them) if you look at the diagrams!

Note that the (structural!) body of the leg is plastic!

I'll report back if it drops to bits!;-(