00 2.0 Driveshaft knocking sound - chipper
Hello,

I have just been advised by my local dealership that I will need to replace a driveshaft in my car, have some bearings replaced and have the gearbox repaired in order to fix the faint knocking sound that occurrs sometimes when accelerating. The price they want to charge is making me think that I have got to the point where I should think about trading it in since, if I only do the minimum amount of work, I will have no guarantees of not having more issues with my gearbox in the future (which was a re-con one fitted a year a go). They are trying to tell me that I really ought to fit a completely brand new gearbox to be sure of not having more problems in a years time or so. I think part of the idea in telling me this is to shock me into buying another car, so what I'd like to know from someone with technical knowledge is:
a) is it safe to just leave this problem alone - it may already be causing vibration through the steering wheel at 70mph (wheels definitely balanced ok).
b) would replacing the offending driveshaft and bearings (diff??) buy me much more time in the car?
c) Am I being had?
The car has 116K on the clock, has had a new clutch and flywheel and a recon gearbox in the past 18 months.

00 2.0 Driveshaft knocking sound - yorkiebar
Go and talk to another garage first !

If a is true then the car is dangerous to drive!
If b doesnt cure it; then its not the problem?
C. Sounds like it !

Why was the new gearbox needed? What difference did it make? Do your tyres wear evenly? What warranty was on the gearbox?
Is the car driven aggresively? Fully laden? Serviced regularly?
00 2.0 Driveshaft knocking sound - mike hannon
Certainly seems as though you need to get another expert opinion.
Honda driveshaft couplings can fail, usually they then knock when cornering.
00 2.0 Driveshaft knocking sound - chipper
I did talk to another garage (twice) and they couldn't hear the noise. The only person I have been able to demo the noise to was a honda mechanic. The mechanic who didn't hear it said that he'd taken a good look at the car on the ramps and they couldn't find anything and said he had no concernes. My tyres wear evenly. The new gear box was an desperate attempt to cure a clutch shudder problem, which made no difference. The warranty on the gearbox has expired. The car has been always been properly serviced by honda without fail ever since I bought it with 3000 miles on the clock. The first 90K where driven very aggresively (changing always at red-line etc.). I have been a lot more gentle over the last 18 months or so.

00 2.0 Driveshaft knocking sound - yorkiebar
So it wasnt gearbox last time either?

If other garages cant hear the noise it cant be too bad surely?

Any other symptoms? Cornering? Under acceleration or on braking?

Could it be suspenion components etc?