1994 1.9TD Fuel problem - jonlucpicard
In May i left my 405 1.9 TD sat for a week while i was away. When i came back it would not start, the engine turned over fine but it wasn't even trying to fire up. I primed the fuel system using the squidgy rubber pump and it fired up no problem. The car hasn't been left more than a couple of days since and has been fine with no starting or running problems until last night. The car has just been sat for 4 days and when i came to use it last night i had the same problem, i primed the fuel system and it started fine and it started fine this morning. I am thinking that air is getting in somewhere under the bonnet and allowing the diesel to run back into the tank, but i don't know where and i can't see any leaks. Has anyone else had this problem on the peugeot 1.9 TD engine?

cheers
Jon

Edited by Webmaster on 02/07/2008 at 11:40

1994 1.9TD Fuel problem - RichardW
Injector leak off hoses and the fuel filter are favourite spots for leaks on these. On older cars the primer itself can perish, and leak air in.
1994 1.9TD Fuel problem - Peter.N.
I would second that.
1994 1.9TD Fuel problem - jonlucpicard
Thanks guys, i've also been advised to fit a non return valve between the priming pump and the fuel filter to stop fuel running back to the tank.
1994 1.9TD Fuel problem - 659FBE
The priming pump contains two of these valves - don't fit another.

If the primer is pumping fuel adequately, the problem will almost cetainly be air leaks as detailed earlier. Check the leakoff pipes and the join where the fuel pipe from the primer pump enters the filter.

1994 1.9TD Fuel problem - stevegee
Yes John my sons car is exhibiting same problem. We thought it was due to the cold snap recently here with minus temps, so when it first started being difficult to get going I suggested the three pre-heat cycle and that seemed to fix it.
Then yesterday after leavign car standing for couple of days it was not possible to start it, gave a cough puff of black smoke and stopped.
So I told him to turn on key (this opens the stop solenoid) and use the squeeze bowl to force fuel through to the filter.
This worked and it started.

I have not heard today but as he is going to a cold mountain ski resort I am wondering how to fix the problem.

Either way its $$$ and Peugeot fuel parts don't exactly grow on trees here.

So is yours now fixed for good?

1994 1.9TD Fuel problem - stevegruffnut
I've had this problem for 18 months, I just kept priming it until last week when it would not hold the fuel in the line at all. When I saw from 1 of the replies that the priming pump had non-return valves fitted, I tried a new one and it solved the problem. The valves must deteriorate slowly, with the cold causing the problem to be exagerated(mine was better in the summer).Anyway, the new pump cost me just under £20 from a Peugeot dealer.
Good luck!
Steve