D5 - 163bhp or 185bhp - espzetec
I am about to purchase a Volvo XC90 (D5), but i dont want the earlier 163BHP engine as i am told it is a little too slow and has no pull. How do I know whether I have the newer, more powerful engine or not before I buy? having not driven them before, I have no idea what to compare against on the test drive. Someone told me that there is a slight cosmetic difference with the 185BHP one?
D5 - 163bhp or 185bhp - MikeTorque
Personally I'd recommend you order a test drive before you buy. Go to the volve cars web site and request a test drive of the car you're interested in.

If/when you decide to buy ensure the dealer puts everything in writing before you sign and buy. When the car arrives at the dealership ensure you go over the specification as ordered and ask for a computer check to verify the vehicle id is exactly as stated, only then would you accept and drive the car away.

Two questions :

Do you intend to buy from a Volve dealer or an alternative source ?

How urgent do you require the car ?
D5 - 163bhp or 185bhp - TheOilBurner
The 163bhp will be all pre-May 2005 cars and detuned later cars (badged 2.4D).

Here's a thought though, you can always buy an earlier car and get the motor tuned to around 200bhp. No problems with it being sluggish then!

Otherwise, to tell them apart (on later cars) you can see the colour of the engine cover. 185 models are light grey, 163 models are dark grey. However these covers could be swapped...

If you phone Volvo customer services, they will be happy to check the details of any particular car to verify the spec.

Another point, the detuned 163bhp D5s (2.4Ds) from May 2005 are a revised engine to the earlier 163bhp D5, and so may not suffer from the sluggishness of the early XC90.
Could be worth a test drive as suggested above?

Also, IIRC it tends to be autos the have the worst problems because they automatically shift into neutral when stopped, and there is a short delay before re-engaging drive when pulling off. A software update can stop this.

I have an old 163bhp D5 in my S80 with the auto box and it is perfectly fine, even off the mark. Mine does not shift into neutral when stopped though. The XC90 does weigh a bit more and has the AWD system, which would make a difference I guess.
D5 - 163bhp or 185bhp - pd
The earlier D5 is OK with a manual, with an auto it does get a bit noisy. There is only a D5 in the XC90 - the lower powered engine was not offered after May 2005.

To check it, get the VIN off the registration document and call Volvo. It'll take 2 minutes and they'll verify the service history and options for you at the same time. Alternatively, look at the Co2 output on the V5 which differ slightly between models.

Buying a manual will also save you in VED on a lot of models.
D5 - 163bhp or 185bhp - pd
Actually, come to think of it I think there was a 2.4D model in 2006. It was dropped quite quickly.
D5 - 163bhp or 185bhp - TheOilBurner
Beware with manual XC90s of the foot operated "hand" brake. Makes hill starts very tricky. For partly this reason, the most common XC90 by far is a D5 with Auto box.
D5 - 163bhp or 185bhp - ballinloughan
What are peoples opinions - Auto or Manual? Looking at a 2005 2.4D (163bhp)....