I Have a Question - Volume 237 [Read Only] - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 238 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 237. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/06/2008 at 13:09

Ipod Classic - charging voltage in car - VR6
I've just bought my first Ipod Classic and want to listen to it in my car, but would rather not use an FM transmitter.

I have a Kenwood KDC-W707 headunit which has a CD changer output on the back. So I was thinking about getting one of these or similar from ebay tinyurl.com/5lk23p . The cable basically uses the CD changer port on the headunit to charge / send audio to the ipod.

I'm concerned that using this cable to charge the ipod will damage it - will it? Any help appreciated.

EDIT: It says 'Rated 5 - 30V ------ 1A Max' on the back of the iPod if that makes any sense to anyone

Cheers

Edited by VR6 on 19/06/2008 at 20:52

Blackberry - permanent message icon - Happy Blue!
I have a Blackberry Pearl 8110. The icon indicating I have one unopened text message is permanently on, but when I go into the Message Inbox there are no unopened messages (in fact there are usually no messages at all).

I have tried all sorts of things including removing the battery, doing some form of software upgrade using the T-mobile website etc but it remains.

Any ideas?
Blackberry - permanent message icon - Kevin
Espada,

It's not a hidden message is it?

Messages -> Options -> General Options -> Hide Sent/Hide Filed Messages

Kevin...
Rescue my lawn! - Citroënian {P}
This is bread and butter stuff to all those with green fingers, but I'm not good in the garden...

I left the lawn maybe a little bit too long before cutting it and had a bit of a job getting it cut. When I'd finished, the grass was more brown than green, it looked like straw (obviously after removing the cut grass!)

I'm giving it a good water but are there any tips that would help my grass get its green back.

thanks in advance
Rescue my lawn! - PhilW
Patience, Citroenian, patience. Give it a few days and it will be green again. Key is to mow it frequently. (He says, looking out at a lawn which should have been mowed a week or so ago and is growing like wildfire) and not set the blades too low if you do let it get a bit long. Don't waste money on "lawn greening" fertiliser if it is growing well - and it sounds like it is. I wouldn't even bother watering it - it just encourages surface roots which are useless if we (ever) get a dry spell. I suspect it is lack of light (because of length) rather than lack of water which causes the straw colour

Edited by PhilW on 20/06/2008 at 19:46

Rescue my lawn! - Stuartli
Second PhilW's comments - grass has the most remarkable ability to recover from seemingly cruel and wicked treatment whether by humans or nature.
Rescue my lawn! - Citroënian {P}
Phil, it's uncanny, it's almost like you saw me misunderstanding the settings on the new lawnmower and finding myself giving it a "grade 1" as a hairdresser might call it. You're right I'm not very patient, not a good recipe for a gardener!

The lack of light makes sense - I'll leave the watering for a bit (forecast rain tomorrow pm anyway here) and see how it gets on.

Stuart, thanks for the reassurance, will give it a few days and let nature take its course

Thanks
Lee
Rescue my lawn! - L'escargot
Don't forget ........

Moss killer ~ sulphate of iron is cheapest ~ followed a couple of weeks later by scarifying.
Weed killer ~ I recommend Verdone Extra.

Edited by L'escargot on 21/06/2008 at 09:04

Rescue my lawn! - wotspur

L'escargot -thanks for the tips, my lawn is held together by moss and weeds so i'll give it a go.
Out of interest, are either of your recommendations particularly harmful to pets or young kids- Ill organise when my 2 are at school -also does one place it in a watering can too apply and can you mix the two and do it at the same time-
Many thanks from ignorant,uninterested,lazy gardener.
Rescue my lawn! - PhilW
Escargot has recommended good products but, be warned, maintaining a pristine weed free lawn is hard work especially if it is also a play area for kids! Regular mowing will keep down most weeds and anyway, whats wrong with a few daisies and some clover? I would perhaps say to target first any dandelions because they seed so freely - mix some Verdone (harmless to pets/kids when it dries in a few minutes) in a sprayer and "spot treat" them. Moss ain't so bad in the summer because vigorous grass growth will overwhelm it. In winter it's green so looks OK! Trouble with moss is that it's often a result of underlying soil conditions (compaction, heavy clay, lack of humus, poor drainage etc) and improving it could involve hours of spiking, raking, applying sharp sand etc.
As you may guess, my lawn is also held together by moss and an assortment of weeds - clover looks particularly nice at the moment and the buttercups put on quite a show a few weeks ago! - but then it's also a lawn which has served as a playground, football, cricket, tennis, boules etc pitch, site for barbecues, childrens' parties etc etc.
I'd leave it for a while, mow a few times and then see in the Autumn whether it is worth spending a lot of time and effort on - or whether you have other things to do!!
Rescue my lawn! - L'escargot
I always do mosskiller and weedkiller separately. You can buy proprietary combined treatments but I don't know how good they are.

Mix two eggcupfuls of sulphate of iron in a watering can of water. Sulphate of iron is fairly cheap. You can buy it in whatever quantity you like from allotment associations, or from garden centres in 25 kg sacks. Bulk buying is most economical, and a 25 kg sack will last you for years. It obviously depends on the size of you lawn (and how serious you are about killing the moss!) as to how much you need to buy. Be prepared for the moss to turn black, and for the sulphate of iron to stain your hands (and clothing) brown. Scarifying when the moss is dead is essential.

You can get Verdone Extra either ready mixed in spray containers, or concentrated for mixing with water in a sprayer or a watering can. A sprayer is only really of value for individual weeds. Wilkinsons seems to be cheapest for proprietary garden chemicals.
Rescue my lawn! - nick
I read a piece of research a few years ago, unfortunately can't remember where. This suggested that households that used garden chemicals, especially lawn fertilisers and weedkillers, had higher levels of cancer and other illnesses in their cats and dogs. Having seen my dogs chewing away on bits of grass most days certainly puts me off using anything on the lawn, despite the chemicals reputedly being safe for animals.
Rescue my lawn! - bathtub tom
My lawn often looks like a meadow, North facing, full of moss but very yellow a couple of weeks ago with buttercups.

The only thing that annoys me is dandelions. An old gardener taught me to keep a trigger spray of salt solution handy. Pull off the flower heads, and give them a squirt. Salt solution is also particularly effective on nettles, slugs and snails and will kill many other weeds but is rendered ineffective by rain.

I was also told the definition of a weed is "any plant growing where it's not wanted".
Rescue my lawn! - henry k
>>...and for the sulphate of iron to stain your hands (and clothing) brown.
>>
AND your path and your patio (sulphate of IRON).

Agree re Wilkinsons re garden stuff.

I cannot get rid of clover - tis staple food for our tortoise ;-)
I have to nurture some dandelions in the border for the same reason.
Poor Reception on ITV - drbe
My ITV reception is very poor. The signal comes via a Sky box, all other channels work fine, the main set with a digital signal pixellates (I think that is the right word) if I switch to analogue the the picture breaks up.

The TV upstairs suffers from serious break-up of the picture - this is fed from the same dish.

Any ideas please, why only ITV would be affected?
Poor Reception on ITV - Dulwich Estate
I read on another forum that the local ITV channels have recently changed the way they are transmitted and so causing some folk reception problems. Don't ask me any more - I know nothing!

Try this:

www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=80611...9
Thanks for that link Dulwich.

I don't think I understood a word of it!
Poor Reception on ITV - Stuartli
>>hat the local ITV channels have recently changed the way they are transmitted and so causing some folk reception problems. >>

I think you just might be confusing this with Freeview transmissions - the BBC and other broadcasters use 16QAM transmissions signals, but the ITV MUX uses 64QAM.

Sometimes our Winter Hill ITV and Sky programmes break up or there is no signal at all, yet other channels are fine.

See: www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051058 for an explanation (this website is a source of valuable information on many aspects of TV).

Edited by Stuartli on 22/06/2008 at 00:57

Poor Reception on ITV - SpamCan61 {P}
The 16 QAM / 64QAM business only applies to Freeview though.

When the the signal is coming from a SKY box does this mean that you are watching analogue ITV, Freeview ITV, or Sky ITV? In the case of Freeview or Sky, is it just ITV1 , or does it affect ITV 2,3 and 4 as well? Has it always been like this?

drbe, if you stick your postcode in this coverage predictor here, what type of aerial does it recommend?

www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?DX=L&OS

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 23/06/2008 at 11:27

The 16 QAM / 64QAM business only applies to Freeview though.>>

I did say that the confusion might arise from the Freeview signal problems..:-))

At the moment, if you are watching Freeview on other than a true digital TV with digital tuner, the signals are converted from digital back to analogue by DTB set top boxes.

This is the reason you can watch digital transmissions on an analogue television and why you can still record from a Freeview STB on a VCR if you use the machine's correct channel to make recordings.

Set top boxes will still be viable when full strength transmissions are fully introduced and will still be watchable on analogue TVs.

Re TV aerials - all that is needed for Freeview DTB is a standard wideband aerial suitable for your region - some aerial contractors describe them as "digital aerials" (politician type spin).

Re Sky boxes. If you can watch Freeview text channels and use the BBC active services then it's not an analogue display, which would only feature Ceefax and Oracle.
Poor Reception on ITV - SpamCan61 {P}
This is the reason you can watch digital transmissions on an analogue television and why
you can still record from a Freeview STB on a VCR if you use the
machine's correct channel to make recordings.

Oh yes, although few Freeview boxes have RF modulators, so it is reliant on the TV having a SCART / video input connector ( agreed most have )
Re TV aerials - all that is needed for Freeview DTB is a standard wideband
aerial suitable for your region - some aerial contractors describe them as "digital aerials" (politician
type spin).

ooohh don't get me started about how on earth an aerial can be described as pfd 'digital' it's just a bent bit of metal!!! ( apologies to any antenna designers reading) A good 30-40% of transmitters aren't changing their frequency plan significantly for switchover either, so although a wideband is a good each way bet for many people, it may not be necessary.
Re Sky boxes. If you can watch Freeview text channels and use the BBC active
services then it's not an analogue display which would only feature Ceefax and Oracle.
>>Oh yes, although few Freeview boxes have RF modulators, so it is reliant on the TV having a SCART / video input connector ( agreed most have )>>

Until we got an LCD TV with built-in Freeview tuner, I was using a Pioneer DTR2100 ITVDigital set top box - as a top quality product it did indeed have an RF modulator and two Scart sockets...:-)

The VCR was the middle link in the set up and Freeview programmes could be recorded by utilising the satellite channel (L1 or L2) on the machine (a Mitsubishi H58 Nicam all singing, all dancing model which I acquired in 1993). It's still in use to watch some of the hundreds of video tapes I own.

When I signed up with ONDigital nine or 10 years ago, I did have to have a wideband aerial erected, otherwise the middle channel numbers could not be picked up.

Edited by Stuartli on 24/06/2008 at 22:49

drbe if you stick your postcode in this coverage predictor here what type of aerial
does it recommend?

The TV is a Panasonic TX-37LZD70 which is 1080p which is full HD rather than HD ready (whatever that all means), which we normally view through the built-in Freeview using the Sky dish.

The wolfbane.com website says:-

Chrystal Palace - extra hi-gain antenna recommended
Guildford - amplified extra hi-gain antenna recommended
Reigate - amplified extra hi-gain antenna recommended

The problem with ITV reception is intermittent, it occured to me this evening that I hadn't tried using the Sky box to view ITV when reception is poor using Freeview.

Perhaps I should add that we are about 10 to 15 metres above sea level with a hill some 50 metres high about a kilometer away.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Poor Reception on ITV - Altea Ego
DRBE

You live near me I think (kt12/3/4/5 postcode?) Mostly round that area crystal palace is used (very high output power from that beast) . Where hills get in the way (Esher for example) the prefered choice is Guildford (its high and a clear view is nearly always obtained but much lower powered). Guildord is classed as a Crystal palace relay so it has vertical polorised aerials (CP has horizontal) Reigate is a no no, we simply cant get it our side of Reigate hill

You are probably using CP at the moment, as am I, and CP freeview ITV MUX is fine and stable at the moment, You therefore must have

1/ aerial or feeder issue
2/ or an obstruction (crane?) in the signal path (the signal would be bad on all channels tho with the crane issue)
3/ hardware issue with your tuner
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - L'escargot
Now that Britain is largely metric and people are becoming increasingly unfamiliar with imperial units, will imperial unit based sayings and phrases (which help to make English the colourful language that it is) start to disappear?

I?m thinking of such things as ???

Turn on a sixpence.
I wouldn?t give you tuppence for ???
As queer as a nine bob watch.
Yard of ale.
Six of one and half a dozen of the other
It?s miles away
The whole nine yards
Inching forward
Give him an inch and he?ll take a mile.

?Give him a centimetre and he?ll take a kilometre? somehow doesn?t have the same ring about it.
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - tyro
My comments may reflect my age and the part of the country I live in, but for what it is worth:
Turn on a sixpence.

------ I think these are becoming more unusual
As queer as a nine bob watch.
Yard of ale.
The whole nine yards

------ Never heard of these
Six of one and half a dozen of the other

------ I don't see this one disappearing. (In some parts of the country, it's "six and two threes")
Inching forward
It?s miles away
Give him an inch and he?ll take a mile.

------ Again, I suspect these will continue.
There must be lots of others I haven't thought of.
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - henry k
There must be lots of others I haven't thought of.

>>
Pound for pound
A pound of flesh
As queer as a nine bob note.

Re the above

A Pee for your thoughts ? ;-)
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - FotheringtonThomas

This is still applicable.

Most of these will continue for ages.
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - Martin Devon
I just couldn't hear my Dad saying, "I'll thrash you to within 25.4 millimetres of your life." Nah!

VBR.................MD
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - Big Bad Dave
I sometimes wonder how we'll talk about low and high mileage when we're only using kilometers. I was surprised the other day when a Polish mate asked me the mileage on my car, dunno where he picked the term up, he's never been to England.
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - bathtub tom
Thrupenny bits?

Let's hope the mods are at church.
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - Stuartli
..or "I'll bet you a pound to a (Euro) cent"..."
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - ifithelps
bathtub tom mentioned 'thrupenny bits' above.

Reminds me, for reasons which will become clear, of my first drive in a Jag XJ6 in the late 1970s.

Approach first bend - not used to power steering and those Jags were very light - apply too much grunt at the steering wheel and turn in too sharply.

Over-correct for same reason - now running too wide - turn in too sharply again, repeat until bend finishes.

'You went round that corner like a thrupenny bit,' commented my passenger.

He was right.

Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - Lud
Give him an inch and he'll take an ell...

Bent as a three-pound note...

Can't get a quart into a pint pot...

Penny wise, pound foolish... (a result perhaps of looking after the pennies under the mistaken impression that the pounds will look after themselves...)

Edited by Lud on 23/06/2008 at 14:54

I sometimes wonder how we'll talk about low and high mileage when we're only using
kilometers.

I suppose it will have to be kilometreage.
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - Baskerville
I was surprised the other day when a Polish mate asked me the mileage
on my car dunno where he picked the term up he's never been to England.

I bet he's watched American TV shows and films though.
Will imperial unit based sayings disappear? - ifithelps
>>
I bet he's watched American TV shows and films though.

>>

Someone sharper than I once described the all pervading effect of American culture thus:

Coca-colonialism.

Brilliant, I thought.
Digital cameras - latest advice - daveyjp
On my trip away last week I learnt that digital cameras don't bounce and unlike my first Canon AE1 metal body SLR they are made of papiermache and break easily!

As a result my excellent Olympus digital C760 camera is heading for the dustbin, so time for a new one. Current one is 4meg and 10x zoom, but despite this capability is very small - it fits in a coat pocket easily.

I immediately thought about a new Olympus. Four years on and it's now 10meg and 20x zoom on the SP-570 (the C760 equivalent in terms of being the highest spec they offer) but I have noticed it uses 4 x AA batteries - great for convenience if you need some new batteries, but a spare Li-Ion battery for the C760 takes up very little room and you can't use it in every other item in the house which uses AA batteries! Housing four AAs in the grip makes the camera larger too.

Alternatives are Fuji S8100 - AAs again. 18x zoom

Nikon Coolpix P80 - IMHO an awful name (!), but uses Li-Ion. 18x zoom

I've read reviews of all three from an excellent website and all have limitations but for a "point and press" person like me the shortfalls only seem evident when you really push it's performance - just like the C760 in some respects.

All are available for less than £250.

Anyone bought any of the above recently and able to offer their views?
Digital cameras - latest advice - adverse camber
At that price point I would be thinking hard about an e410 personally. I appreciate that you might well not want a full dSLR though.
SLRs are a bit too bulky for me.

I'm currently playing with a friend's Olympus SP-550 (predecessor to 570, 18x zoom) so that's a start.
Digital cameras - latest advice - Pugugly
Fuji for my money, I have an excellent S700 series, good camera. Fuji have a clearance area on their website of "refurbished" cameras - in reality these are unsold cameras from Argos and the such like. I use a Fuji in work as well - very reliable and user friendly, getting cracking results even though its over six years old.
Digital cameras - latest advice - PhilW
I'll go with PU. After 20 (or was it 30) years with a Pentax ME Super and an MX with assorted lenses I spent £119 on a Fuji S5700 (I see they are now £99 at various well known outlets) and I can't fault it. The 10x zoom is more than enough (maybe I'm getting a bit shaky in old age!!) and the resolution is fantastic - up to A4 prints easily. Loads of different program modes but most of the time I stick it on auto and snap away. I quite like the AA batteries - have a couple of sets of rechargables and each seems to last for about 400 photos and if you run out of charge you can always nip to nearest shop and get the ordinary ones.
I lust after a DSLR by Nikon, Pentax or Canon at 4 or 5 times the price(because they are lovely machines) but I can't justify it in terms of the photos I take - holiday snaps, portraits of family, foxes and birds in back garden, flowers in macro mode etc.
Pretty compact and light as well - no probem to carry round wherever you go, and seems pretty robust also.
Pros or really serious photographers will argue - but for 99% of photos I want to take, it's ideal (and cheap - my Pentaxes cost more in 1980 !)
I still have my MESuper. It was considered a Cortina camera in its day - still works may dig it out for my America trip....
Digital cameras - latest advice - pmh
I will second the advice given by others, with a Fuji S5600 sitting on the desk here in front of me. The thing to remember is that 10 MPixels is no better than 5Mpixels if you have better optical zoom (and use it!).

Interestingly, like PU, I had a Pentax ME super, and daughter still uses one. They still make cracking value when bought on the second hand market. I would have thought thay were more upmarket than a Cortina? When I had one stolen about 15 years ago the insurance company willingly paid out about 2 times the original 1983 purchase price, based on the 2nd hand value.

I also have a collection of original Olympus Trips that reside in glove boxes of the cars with hispeed films. I really must replace them, although when bought at about 3£ each it was cheaper than disposable cameras. Robust, brilliant optics and really nice 'feel'.

pmh
Digital cameras - latest advice - Kevin
>Pros or really serious photographers will argue - but for 99% of photos I want to take, it's ideal

I don't think a Pro would argue with that at all.

I was a semi-serious amateur at one stage with both 35mm and medium format gear. I've since added digital SLR to my collection but at least 80% of our photos (and definitely the most memorable ones) are taken with my wife's little compact. You can't grab that special moment if you've left the SLR at home because it's too bulky.

Kevin...
Digital cameras - latest advice - Stuartli
>>You can't grab that special moment if you've left the SLR at home because it's too bulky.>>

Modern digital cameras bulky, including SLRs?

If anything they are almost too small to be of real interest, in contrast to my final generation Nikon F401 body and 28mm to 200mm Tamron zoom, or even my Ashai Spotmatic 1.8 Super Takumar...:-)

But the modern digital cameras are, to be frank, quite superb and the results are pretty well on a par with 35mm equivalents - even so I can still tell the difference between a 35mm camera photographic print and that from a digital camera, whatever the latter's MP count.
Digital cameras - latest advice - Altea Ego
Well well Its te old ME super club. I have mine (black body) still in its bag in the loft. Cracking camera.

I just bought (three weeks back) the Fuji S5 800 from argos £99

Astonishing value for money
Digital cameras - latest advice - pmh
Interesting how so many of us have the same 'engineering' values when it comes to product choice.

pmh
Digital cameras - latest advice - SpamCan61 {P}
LOL...same here, I still sometimes use my Pentax ME-F ( ME Super with focus confirmation added) and I've got two Olympus Trip 35s at home, last one cost me a whole fiver a while back, but that did include a film ;-). very nice optics. I've gone down the 'bridge camera' route rather than a DSLR, mainly using a Panasonic FZ-20.
Digital cameras - latest advice - Kevin
Take a look at the Olympus mju SW range.

The 1030SW is waterproof to 10m, shockproof up to 2m and crushproof to 100kg. Optical zoom is a bit limited though at 28 to 102mm. If you really can't get closer, the image quality is plenty good enough to Photoshop afterwards.

I bought one for the wife to use when snorkelling and it's been excellent.

Kevin...
Digital cameras - latest advice - Mapmaker
Digital compact cameras are all very well, but camera shake... you (I) cannot hold a camera at arm's length and take a steady photograph. Unlike with my trusty Minolta SLR c1970 (which the burglars spurned when they broke in). Inhale, hold breath, squeeze trigger - rock solid platform. If you hold them up to your nose the viewfinder never corresponds to the real photograph.

"you (I) cannot hold a camera at arm's length"
Exactly, which is why I would never consider a camera without a viewfinder. Screen is good for a quick check on result but (I find) useless for framing a piccy especially in bright sunlight.
I too think the ME super was more than "Cortina class". Compact, reliable, great lens and a good price. I also like the old MX - manual, simple, robust, batteries last forever, loads of lenses available. But then I've never had a top of the range Nikon or Canon.

"Interesting how so many of us have the same 'engineering' values when it comes to product choice."

Wonder how many of you also have a Canon Ixus - I have an "old" V3 - solid as a rock, only 3.2mp but only size of a fag packet, metal body, good lens, and the sort of camera you can stick in pocket and not even notice - but it's there when you need it.

Digital cameras - latest advice - ifithelps
Phil W wrote: 'Screen is good for a quick check on result but (I find) useless for framing a piccy especially in bright sunlight.'

I bought a Nikon Coolpix S210 last Saturday - super slim/compact digital.

I'm new to digi-snapping, but early impressions are what a tremendous device it is, except...

Tried my first landscape in bright sunlight today, and as Phil W says above, framing with the screen is nearly impossible.

I remember my mum's Kodak Instamatic which would only take pics in good/bright light.

Fast forward nearly 40 years and I have a camera which will pick out the petals on a daisy at midnight.

But show it a sunny day and I end up with a picture of my shoes.
Cortina class was a description that appeared in a photography magazine of the time -maybe I was being disingenuous ;-0

I also have a Moskvich class in the shape of an original Soviet made Lomo 35mm Camera which was a pure impulse buy in the 80s. I recently found out that this is a desirable bit of kit - going for silly money.
Digital cameras - latest advice - ifithelps
Several friends in the 70s had a Zenit (?), it was Russian and the cheapest full-feature SLR around by a long way.
"Several friends in the 70s had a Zenit (?), it was Russian and the cheapest full-feature SLR around by a long way."

I remember it well - think it cost about £30? The Rolls-Royce(!) was the Zenit E which had a built in light meter situated just above the lens and from which you then set aperture/shutter speed manually and which meant if you pointed directly at the subject you got perfect sky and clouds exposure and rather underexposed portrait/landscape!. Trick was to aim meter at ground and set exposure from that! Zenit B (Cortina!!) had no meter.
Think there might be a Zenit (and a Weston exposure meter which cost far more than camera!) somewhere in the loft! Along with a Baldinette (complete with bellows and Scheider- Kreutznach lens?)!
By the way, £30 in the '70s is probably the equivalent of a rather nice Nikon/Canon/Pentax DSLR these days!
But, I have some great photos taken with the Zenit - seem to think it had quite a good lens???
All the ones I'm looking at have electronic viewfinders. Camera shake wasn't an issue on the Olympus I played with yesterday.

18x zoom combined with 8.5 digital zoom allowed me to take a photo of an aircraft passing overhead at 25,000ft+ camera in hand and after doing so I could make out the aircraft type. Even at 15fps and panning none of the shots were blurred - this did impress me.

The Panasonic fz18 seems to get the best reviews. The Fuji seems to be less favoured.
"The Panasonic fz18 seems to get the best reviews. The Fuji seems to be less favoured."

Difference in price though?
Liked the look of the Panasonics but wondered if, for me, the advantages were worth the price difference? And, to be quite honest, I couldn't possibly hold a camera steady enough to justify an 18x zoom! Nice bit of kit though.
"Difference in price though?"

Fuji S8100 and FZ18 are both about £200.
Digital cameras - latest advice - adverse camber
many of the point and shoot cameras have 'Image Stabilisation' built in. Different systems available with differing capabilities, but all help mitigate against camera shake.

I dont know how good this is www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/cat9.html for compacts, but it is quite a hand site when shopping for dslrs
Digital cameras - latest advice - SpamCan61 {P}
Wonder how many of you also have a Canon Ixus - I have an "old"
V3 - solid as a rock only 3.2mp but only size of a fag packet
metal body good lens and the sort of camera you can stick in pocket and
not even notice - but it's there when you need it.

Well I bought a second hand Pentax Optio S for 20 quid the other week, very much the Pentax equivalent on the Ixus, bit of a bargain, seems people don't want cameras that are 'only' 3 megapixels these days :-/
Finding the outcome of a crown court hearing - bathtub tom
A neighbour has been arrested on a serious charge. I found a court listing that showed he was up for 'plea and case management'.

How can I find the results of this and subsequent hearings, and whether or not he's granted bail?
Finding the outcome of a crown court hearing - ifithelps
The info you are after is in the public domain, but you might have some trouble getting all of it.

Crown Court staff are told to give telephone callers information they could have heard in court had they been there, but some are less cooperative than others.

They might be a bit iffy about bail conditions, but they should certainly tell you if he pleaded guilty or not guilty, and the date of the next hearing.

If he pleaded guilty, look for 'adjourned three weeks for sentence', or somesuch.

If he pleaded not guilty, then ask for a trial date.

Either way, ring the court and ask, staff are urged by their bosses to be helpful - it is thought a 'good thing' to involve the public in the administration of justice.

I'm not desperate to get further involved, but if you get really stuck and it is important to you, email me via the mods and I will obtain the information you seek.

First port of call is ring and ask, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Finding the outcome of a crown court hearing - Pugugly
Going to Court on the day out of the question ?
PU,

That was my thought, although by the look of it the pcmh has been held and the OP doesn't yet have a next hearing date to aim at.
'fraid so, have to earn a crust. I also think a neighbour in court as an observer would be erm, less than welcome?
Thanks for that.

I guessed it would be public domain if in an open court. I didn't bother ringing as I assumed there'd be no reply out of office hours.

Are transcripts of what is said in open court available on the net, and how long after the hearing would they appear do you know? I've had no luck searching. I don't expect to find details of this case yet, but I thought I'd nosey around for future reference.
Transcripts on the net - no way.

As PU hinted, the Crown Court is based on all parties turning up on the day and making progress.

As I said, the way to get the next hearing date is to ring the court and ask.

As PU said, the best way forward then is to draw near and give your attendance at Her Majesty's Crown Court on the date in question.
Finding the outcome of a crown court hearing - Pugugly
Of course you can ask someone to go on your behalf !
Finding the outcome of a crown court hearing - crunch_time
Local paper website?

Got hold of the court, and they won't tell me anything because "that case is subject to reporting restrictions".
Finding the outcome of a crown court hearing - oldnotbold
Read www.societyofeditors.co.uk/userfiles/file/Reportin...f
Thanks for that. Now I understand why.
Thanks for that. Now I understand why.

With all due respect, I doubt it.

The Society of Editors document gives a (slightly out of date) list of all the various reporting restrictions that can be applied.

What you need to find out is what applies in this case. There might be a restriction on reporting the name of the victim, but all other details remain in the public domain.

I would very much doubt, for example, if there is any restriction on the date of the next hearing and as such the clerk should have told you.

If this defendant is an adult, I can nearly guarantee there will be no permanent restriction on reporting the decision of the court - not guilty/guilty and sentence details in the case of guilty.

There is a slightly deeper point here: 'reporting restriction' and 'secret' are not the same, although the Crown Court staff tend to treat them as such.

The offence is 'reporting in any media', so if the clerk tells you there is a restriction on reporting the name of the victim and that name is Jane Smith, no offence is carried out - it has not been reported in any media.

If you toddle off and publish the name Jane Smith in that national newspaper you happen to own, then the offence is carried out and you have carried it out, the clerk hasn't.

The point is not an entirely silly one, a journalist may genuinely require the name to approach that person for interview, perhaps to be published anonymously.

Back to your original query, you need to contact the court again and point out, politely but firmly, they can tell you what is not the subject of the restriction.

I am sure the 'unrestricted' information will be sufficient for your needs.

Edited by ifithelps on 25/06/2008 at 20:46

Perhaps I should have said:
Knowing what the defendant is accused of, and reading the attachment, I can now understand why.
But I'll take your advice, and 'lean on a little' whoever answers the 'phone.
Plumbing question - Robin Reliant
I have a new monobloc mixer tap to fit on the kitchen sink. I fitted the present one about five years ago, and it came with flexible pipes with push-on compression joints to fit the pipes. The new one doesn't have these, is it wise to reuse the existing ones or would they be prone to leaking after having been prised off?
Plumbing question - nick
The push-fit ones I've used have a slighly proud collar at the business end. If you pull that down (it can be awkward) the fitting should slide off. I've never re-used one after any length of time but they should be ok unless the 'o' ring inside has become deformed or hardened. They're cheap enough from screwfix if they do leak.
Plumbing question - pmh
I used to be frightened of push fit! But having been tempted, now use extensively! I am still very wary of using on mains pressure water (as your kitchen should be) but many plumbers use them. Advice given from a plumber is to use well established brands eg Hep2O only. Some of the cheap copies are not very higly regarded!

The other things to be aware of,
Make sure the pipe is FULLY inserted. Hep2O plastic pipes have' depth markers'.
Pipes loose their electrical continuity when adding sections of plastic. Hence potential safety issues with earth bonding etc.

The only leak that I have ever had is when the phone rang when inserting a pipe, and the pipe was left inserted as 'gentle push' only.

Personally I would not reuse a 5 year old one.

pmh
Need a 5" adaptor for a window for portable aircon - Mapmaker
I have a portable aircon unit with a 120mm ventilation pipe - for venting the hot air to outside. It is apparently possible to obtain a fitting that is cut into a window in order to vent this to the outside. I guess it is standard 5" tumble drier type.

Anybody know a supplier - I've run out of inspiration for googling.

Many thanks,
Need a 5" adaptor for a window for portable aircon - oldnotbold
www.manrose.co.uk/pricelist/019.html
Need a 5 - Mapmaker
Brilliant, thank you.

Achieved in seconds what our maintenance guys have taken 3 weeks not to manage. Who'd work for a property company...

Edited by Mapmaker on 24/06/2008 at 13:02

NW Engineering employer - wd 40
SWMBO is in touch with a recruitment agency about a vacancy. As always, it is best to know as much about the employer so you can judge your suitablility and pitch your application accordingly, but the only details about the employer the agancy will give her are that they are
'a world leader in fluid engineering'
based in the north west, possibly Blackburn
founded in 1934 (iirc)

I've wasted much of this morning searching the net without finding anything that comes close, and I'm going to have to do some work sooner or later ;-)

anybody in that part of the world, or that line of business, know who they are likely to be ?

NW Engineering employer - oldnotbold
www.tc-fluidcontrol.com/home.htm of Oldham, perhaps?
Jammed uPVC Front Door - rtj70
My step-son phoned earlier to say he cannot open his front door. When unlocked (so the barrel/lock is working), when you pull the handle down only some of the bolts seem to be pulled back in. I've not been around to look yet.

It's looking like a locksmith is needed but is there a simple way of getting the "bolt" to disengage and the door opened.

Thankfully it went wrong when they were in so can use the back door for now.
Jammed uPVC Front Door - Pugugly
Had this with out Everest door recently, 9 years and 11 months into the warranty - their service was very good (apart from the fitter breaking the door handle and having to come back to replace it).

Locksmith or a "window doctor" will probably fix it - my initial instinct would be to remove the handles to have a look and maybe lubricate the gubbins, probably the limit of DIY that one can do on this type of door without breaking something.
Jammed uPVC Front Door - rtj70
How are the handles removed? It sounds from what step-son says that some of the "bolts" are being retracted and one isn't.

I think it's looking like a locksmith to sort it because once open it needs fixing.
Jammed uPVC Front Door - FotheringtonThomas
Try lifting it before/as it is being opened. It may have slipped on the hinge side.
Peplexing question over C/H Boiler economy. - Pugugly
The price of oil has driven me to economise !

We have a Bosch/Worcester combi that has, for the uniformed, a reservoir of heated water to meet instant demand. In the past I've let the system cycle i.e. the burner fires up to bring it up to a thermostat controlled temperature - of late i've set the clock to fire to switch it off whilst we're at work etc. Mrs P argues that this is less efficient than leaving the system to fire up to "top up" the hot water in the tank. Any views ?
Peplexing question over C/H Boiler economy. - bathtub tom
If the water in the tank is hotter than it's surroundings, then it will lose heat (insulation will slow down the rate of loss of heat). The boiler will fire up to maintain the temperature in the reservoir until it's hot enough. The boiler will then switch off. When the reservoir cools enough to trigger the thermostat, the boiler will fire up. I'm sure NC or someone can explain it numerically.

Look at it this way: Would you leave it running if you went on holiday for a month, because it would be more efficient?

Have you thought about setting it to switch on half-an-hour before Mrs P comes home, and telling her it's running all the time? ;>)
Peplexing question over C/H Boiler economy. - maz64
IIRC school physics rate of heat loss will be roughly proportional to the difference in temperature between the water and its surroundings. That is (not surprisingly) it takes more energy to keep it hotter (for a given amount of time).

So I would think it depends on how efficiently your boiler gets the water back up to temperature when it comes back on, compared to keeping it 'topped up'. Assuming it's reasonably efficient, I reckon it's better to switch off when you're out - that's what we do.

Can you measure it?
Peplexing question over C/H Boiler economy. - Pugugly
NO !

It is pretty efficient at keeping the water warm, there is a sinkful of hot water when we come home before switching the system back on. NC will be along in a minute with a computed answer !!

Peplexing question over C/H Boiler economy. - Number_Cruncher
The physics about the rate of heat loss being highest when the temperature gradient is highest is the key point here which does tend to swing the argument towards switching the machine off while you're out.

>>Can you measure it?

The way I would deal with this [assuming that the burners, when running, are running at comparable oil flow rates in each mode] is to;

a) time how long the boiler runs in top up mode during, say, an hour when there's no other demands on the boiler

b) time how long the boiler runs to get the water back up to temperature after being switched off for 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours, 4 hours, etc. This time will begin to converge, and so the experiment will not need to go to an off period of an infinite number of hours!

By comparing the times obtained in steps a) and b), and using some sums which I'm sure Mrs PU will enjoy!, the answer will emerge, and the minimum time for which it's sensible to switch off the system will be found.

Peplexing question over C/H Boiler economy. - L'escargot
a) time how long the boiler runs in top up mode during say an hour
when there's no other demands on the boiler
b) time how long the boiler runs to get the water back up to temperature
after being switched off for 1 hour 2 hours 3 hours 4 hours etc.

Just like when you're timing how long it takes for paint to dry in various ambient temperatures! ;-D

Edited by L'escargot on 26/06/2008 at 08:07

Peplexing question over C/H Boiler economy. - maz64
Regarding measuring, I was thinking more along the lines of just reading your gas meter after a week using one method then a week using the other (and repeat perhaps). Not accurate, but might give some indication if there's a big difference.
Peplexing question over C/H Boiler economy. - bathtub tom
>>reading your gas meter after a week

>>The price of oil has driven me to economise !

mmm ;>)
Peplexing question over C/H Boiler economy. - JH
F
dipping a stick into an oil tank isn't quite as precise though!
JH

Edited by JH on 26/06/2008 at 10:02