95 1.5 strange electrical problem - buntoid
I have a Peugeot 106 that has developed a 'strange electrical problem'.

What happens is all the electrics fail but I am still able to start the engine, though sometimes the engine will not stop even with the key out of the ignition.

When this happen, if I turn any switch on or open the door etc the alternator and parking light illuminate and the petrol gauge works without the ignition on.
If I turn the ignition on everything dies again.

I'm only guessing, but I wonder if its related to a small problem I've had for a while where now and then I have what sounds like a relay clicking behind the glove box. This can happen anytime whilst driving and seems to be stopped by banging next to the indicator/light stalk or even flashing my lights/indicators.

But more recently the clicking now interferes with the radio and appears to turn it on an off, when this happened last night I tried the indicator/light stalk as usual, and all the electrics failed.

If anybody has idea what could be happening or even a suggestion of what I can try to resolve this, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/06/2008 at 11:06

95 1.5 strange electrical problem - Peter.N.
It could be a failure in the earth side of the battery circuit. When the fault occurs try connecting a voltmeter between the battery earth connection and various points on the engine and body. First I would check all battery connections and spurs, making sure that they are secure and clean.
95 1.5 strange electrical problem - Screwloose
buntoid

Ignition switches are common failures on all small Pugs.

Remove the column shrouds and unplug the three flat switch-wiring connectors when it won't stop key-out.