01 1.8 Electrics gone haywire - mothsinmywallet
1.8 TD Focus Estate 51 plate. Never let me down however tonight when returned to car after kids swimming lessons it wouldnt start. The clock went dead, the interior light was flashing like a disco light. The central locking motor was pipping away. Lights on dashboard very faded. Luckily fully covered by Green Flag and they came out. Hooked up battery booster and engine started straight away however when he asked me to check lights and put heater on full blast as soon as turned lights on the engine cut out. His diagnosis was probably new battery needed or worst still a new alternator. The battery reading when tested was flicking inbetween the "green ok" section of the meter and the red to the right side. He said it should just be steady in the "green ok". He said the alternator might be spiking as well. Anyway was towed home. This couldnt have come at a worst time for me financially and would be greatful of any opinions of the cost of the repairs as a rough guide so I know that garages are not going to rip me off as it has happened in the past so a ball part figure would be great. Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/06/2008 at 22:22

01 1.8 Electrics gone haywire Ford Focus - elekie&a/c doctor
If it is a battery required ,a cost of around £60.A faulty alternator on one of these and you are looking around £200 fitted.So it is important to get the system checked accurately.hth
01 1.8 Electrics gone haywire Ford Focus - henry k
If it is a battery required a cost of around £60.

>>
and get the correct battery
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=64...1
01 1.8 Electrics gone haywire Ford Focus - mothsinmywallet
Many thanks for replies. Turned out to be battery - still had the original in from when made so not bad going for 7 years old. New Varta Silver Calcium battery £72 brought to me and fitted.