93 1.9D Grinding clattering noise on braking! - Julip
Hi,

I have this grinding noise when I brake that gets louder and deeper the more I push the pedal ending in a kind of grinding clattering noise as I stop.

I have had the problem with the brake calipers seizing before which made a similar noise but I had them replaced (and all the other bits that burnt out as a result) last March so I dont think its that - also, the brakes actually work, its just noisy!

Its a hard noise to explain but it sounds like something metal rubbing on something else metal that is a little smooth and rotating, then when I brake more the tone drops and clattering starts as well as the grinding noise.

I had a similar noise last year that turned out to be one of the wishbones (exciting driving that was!) and so I got one replaced but not the other. I think its might be that but I am not sure as previously I had a wobbly steering wheel but I dont have that this time. The noise didnt get as bad as it is now but the steering was affected much more so maybe it isnt the other wishbone??

Before I found out the cause was the wishbone I got my garage to check it as I thought it was the brakes again but they couldnt find anything wrong with the brakes. The noise only occured when the car is warm although now it is happening within about 1 mile so not that warm!

I hope that all makes sense. I don't really know what to do, the noise is loud and horrible enough to drive me to cycle to work this week but I need to get my car to the garage (early MOT and service) on Thursday (19June) and I dont know if it is safe to drive it there and ignore the noise or if I should get a truck to take it??

Thanks for reading this far, I'm on my last hope for this car yet again and any thoughts anyone can give me about this problem are most welcome!!

Julip

{typos, re: break / brake corrected}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/06/2008 at 01:28