`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - oilrag
Rang the local area `Big Cheese`tyre fitters, £130, two OE spec tyres, "NO further discount possible".

Rang a well known `Internet Tyre suppliers`.. £84, same two tyres fitted. Tyres ordered.

Next day, `Big Cheese` company rolls up in a big fitted out van and supplies and fits the tyres. ;)

They had to pay fuel to send the van out to me and couldn`t put the usual `environmental disposal` on a bill, cos it was all inclusive including future free puncture repairs with the `Internet tyre Suppliers`.

So what`s really the profit margin on these things and are large `tin palace` tyre fitters very much `the old business model`?

`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Hamsafar
When I bought two Goodyear Excellence 205 55 16 V tyres recently, they were £100ish each at the 'big cheese', £66 each on mytyres and £60 each fitted at Eden Tyre Services. When I went to have them fitted, they had just been delivered and I saw them booking them in on the computer, the cost to them from somewhere called Treadsense was £33 each +VAT.

Edited by Hamsafar on 13/06/2008 at 21:46

`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - adverse camber
I've always wondered if the online places are owned by thye same companies as the physical places. Anyone daft enough to accept the price in the depot pays full whack. those prepared to research and shop around get a better price.

specifically tyre-shopper seem to only use national for supply and fit, which makes me think...
The `Big Cheese` I refer to is only local, but the `internet co` more or less nation wide.
It seems its their chosen local supplier/fitter.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - gordonbennet
Its worth getting to know the local places too.

I had some new ones delivered via internet for the back of my car, whilst having them fitted, the chap asked me where i got them, i told him and the true price, he had a look, told me he would match it, so i got 2 more as well (i just love spending money).

Now then Mr Oilrag time to spill the beans.....did you have the new ones fitted to the rear as advised or did you commit the cardinal sin of judging yourself competent enough to decide where to put your own tyres..:):)

wooden spoon back in cupboard...i'm off.:)

All the best...your on you own matey...xx
On the Front of course GB, I don`t believe in this new fangled rear end priority, "you can`t sue us" Nancy-US-originating tyre fitter protectionism....
As an aside,
You might be in interested that I got a twenty year old jar (ex coffee) of Wax-hoyle out today. To preserve the rusting bottom hose clip (only an outer surface and worm smear) on the old Punto 1.9D, Yep, another antifreeze change and 50p saved on the clip. Unintentionally though, must get some spares in.

"All the best...your on you own matey...xx"

Is that you, or Mrs GB sending me kisses having taken over your account? or does it mean that common expletive beginning with B?

All the best! and hope you are enjoying the freedom of the roads. ;)

PS xxxx

;)

Edited by oilrag on 13/06/2008 at 22:36

`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - jbif
.. but the `internet co` more or less nation wide.

I believe you are allowed to name a company if you are NOT shaming it. Usually, forum members also like to share their "good fortune" witht he others by spreading such good news.

So on, please tell us the name of the internet tyre company.

[ If it is against the rules of the forum, the Mods will surely blank the name out. ]

Hi jbif, sorry, I would be uncomfortable with that, it not the Forum rules as such.
Regards
of Wax-hoyle out today.
Is that you or Mrs GB sending me kisses
;)

The way you pronounce wax-hoyle gives me an inkling you may be a closet fan of 'the Bradshaws', i'm sure you know who i mean, Billy Bradshaw does the audible H's a lot, even when they're missing.

Its a start i suppose, couldn't you have splashed a bit over the brake pipes and stuff whilst you were under there passionately preserving a hose clip (not jubilee i note, there are other clips), you'll see i'm right in 10 years time, the punto will be riddled, but that hose clip will soldier on for ever.

SWMBO is fully puckered up so xx.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Westpig
i've still got the prices on the wall for when i rang around for tyres on my car

Pirelli P6000J 225/55ZR16 J 95W......

well known chain up the road.... £142.

internet outfit that deal with local garages...£106.80

went in to the local garage that internet co. deals with, asked for quote and was clutching the internet quote in my mitt. As i bought 8 tyres in one go (my car and wife's), they knocked the above prices down to £100 per tyre

that saved me over £160 on my car alone. Discount on wife's was similar, but not quite as keen.
" splashed a bit over the brake pipes and stuff "

No room for it GB. All the nether-regions are plastered in a thick coat of Castrol CL waterproof grease. In particular the subframes.

"Hoyle" cos I can`t bring myself to say it. ;) the bit that`s left is a relic from the old Maestro Clubman D.
Do you see any rust under any of those new cars you deliver? No names, no pack drill of course.

As for tyres..... I bet the `Big Cheeses` having failed to catch Mackerel with high prices, turn out to snatch at sprats, in the fear that sprats are the gruel of the future...

Sort of, Jack`s Sprat could provide no fat and the futures going to be lean...........

Bed time, zzzz

Do you see any rust under any of those new cars you deliver

Surprising just how rusty some of the suspension components are, many are completely unpainted and a lovely russet brown rust coating, bad IMO.

Some exhausts are surprisingly rusty at delivery too.

Am i the only one who gets down and has a good inspection underneath of any prospective car, new or used. Got some funny looks in a showroom once.

A very notable exception, well 2 actually, Lexus cars are lovely underneath, all parts protected by plastic covers or very well painted/sealed.

Also if you were to look under a Toyota celica, you would find suspension components painted in a lovely thick black gloss as good as some cars body paint, only thicker, with all suspension bolts having that brass coloured anti rust coating, very impressive.

Korean cars very well protected underneath too IMO.

My late cousin had a marvelous old viva hb for years, he used a full 5 gallon drum of grease on it, filled the sills etc, swamped the engine bay, it was horrible to work on, filthy, but rust?

Hope you had a nice kip.:)
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - AlastairW
Tyre shopper are indeed a divison of National Tyres. A former colleague/girlfriend of mine works in their call centre.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - tr7v8
Always use local 2 guys & his dogs (3 actually) fantastic pricing & excellent service. I never use the big names & can't be bothered to get internet quotes any more as they've always been the same or more expensive.
RM Tyres in Medway City for the Kent peeps.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - DP
What irritates me most about the 'big cheese' places is that the advertised prices rarely including fitting, valve and balance (and the statement of this fact is usually in 8 point font and buried somewhere in the depths of the ad. Consequently, the price you are charged is significantly higher than that advertised.

I've been using the same tyre supplier now for years. They're part of a chain, but nothing like the size of the well known outlets, and offer prices near to the internet places, but with established fitting centres. They also do motorcycle and car tyres, have a massive range - I've been offered 10 options before in certain tyre sizes - and only quote fully inclusive prices.

Cheers
DP

Then there is `Uriah Heap` previously well known but (paradoxically) `fading` chain of fitters (my `referred to Big Cheese` is local) they give you a high quote when you ring up but then say "ring back if you get a better quote".
In the back Uriah himself scuttles about, fingering his 1930`s `track rod, free perk commission tool` and hoping an innocent can be persuaded to have one track rod end adjusted.
You pull onto the parking zone, to buy a hose clip and there`s an arriving automobile attenuated rattling of trackrod tools from within the tyre fitting area.

;)
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Mike H
I've always wondered if the online places are owned by thye same companies as the
physical places. Anyone daft enough to accept the price in the depot pays full whack.
those prepared to research and shop around get a better price.

Not always true - my son has recently had a pair of new front tyres on his car, and the local "big cheese" was around £65 all-in whilst the online suppliers that I use regularly for keen pricing were around £20 dearer - with no negotiation needed. Pirellis I think.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - T-Fitter
The big cheeses...yeah! They are very expensive because they've grown too big to keep costs down. I worked at kwik fit, the went to an independant dealer {name removed} before i started working for myself. You'll always find your local dealer has some good offers on.

And pretty much all tyre suppliers, internet or otherwise make HUGE margins on our black rubber friends. But still, you'd think that a bigger dealer would have better buying power and lower prices...

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/12/2009 at 12:32

`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Bill Payer
kwik fit

>>
KwikFit's online prices are a heck of lot lower than they'll usually quote on the phone. You do have to be aware that you need to add £10 (I think) for fitting to the online prices.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Menders
KwikFit's online prices are a heck of lot lower than they'll usually quote on the phone.

Certainly echo that.

Rang local depot today, got a fright with original quote, told them their online price which was already a good £10 cheaper a tyre than any I found online at the usual suspects and local dealerships.

Instant match of price and re-shoed today. Very pleased all in all.

As ever, worth shopping around.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - L'escargot
In relation to the total costs of running a car, the cost of new tyres is minimal wherever you buy them., and the difference between two retailers is miniscule.
the difference between two retailers is miniscule.

I disagree.

When I put four Pirelli P6000's on the Volvo last year, and I only wanted fitted prices, I was quoted anything from £260 to £411 (>10% of the latter being fitting, balancing and disposal). I can't be bothered using special tactics to get the best prices out of the big cheeses. If they can't give me a competitive price when I ring them, they don't get the business. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops. These tactics remind me of those double glazing salesman who come round to your house and suddenly drop by 35% if you don't accept their first price. Instead of thinking "wow that's good", it makes me think "wow, you really were trying to do me over first time round. Get out of my house".

Went with the £260 option, saving £151. That's two and a bit tanks of fuel. Or six months RFL and my commuting costs for a week. Or half my annual insurance premium. Hardly minimal.

BTW, the online route was totally painless. Slick website gave me a choice of appointments, and fitting centres, chose a convenient one, paid, got a confirmation e-mail minutes later, turned up as planned, car was all done 30 mins later and I was on my way. And I saved £151 over going the standard route of calling the number in the big 40 point font, in the big double page ad in the local rag.

and the difference between two retailers is miniscule.

A lot of franchised dealers say they are competitive on tyres and when my Merc went for service I knew it could do with rear tyres and I'd already priced them up.

The dealer called to tell me they needed replacing and said they were competitive. He gave a price that was, surprisingly, there or thereabouts for 2 Michelin Primacy HP tyres. It was only on quizzing him that he said the price was "each". :yikes:

Mind you, my missus thinks this shopping around is barking. She's never spend half a day on the phone or internet trying to save a few quid, she's far too busy. I guess that's exactly why the "walk in" prices in the fast fit places are so high.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - ForumNeedsModerating
>>In relation to the total costs of running a car, the cost of new tyres is minimal wherever >>you buy them., and the difference between two retailers is miniscule.

Not according to several posters here though. WP saved well over £100. Always better to have that £100 in your pocket I think; all the little savings (applying the same principal to other maintenance items) add up over the year.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Martin Devon
Dad said, "Look after the Pennies and the Pounds will look after themselves"!
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Lygonos
My friend was buying 4 new Michelins for his BMW - best price he found was Kwik Fit online - they were doing a 25% off for 4, plus a £40 fuel voucher.

He went to a local Kwik Fit who said he could do it better than the online price, and promptly did (I guess the franchise would only get nominal profit from the online sale plus a fitting fee otherwise).

He got a £40 Sainsbury's voucher instead of a fuel voucher (could also be used for Sainsbury's fuel) and was very happy with the deal.
>> He went to a local Kwik Fit who said he could do it better than
the online price and promptly did (I guess the franchise would only get nominal profit
from the online sale plus a fitting fee otherwise).

Kwik Fit isn't a franchise operation, is it?

They do own a fair number of other places though - Charlie Browns, Harvey's tyres etc. But, at least as far as I know, they do own all their outlets.

Edited by Bill Payer on 08/12/2009 at 09:35

`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Westpig
In relation to the total costs of running a car the cost of new tyres is minimal wherever >>you buy them... and the difference between two retailers is miniscule.

I beg to differ on that one. Couple months back whilst up in Fort William I had a puncture in wife's car. I'm finickety with tyres i.e. I won't let them go much below 2mm and knew i'd need to change them before the winter...so although a tad early, as I had to re-new one anyway and won't have big differences on the same axle, I did all 4.

To swap all 4 Pirelli P Zero's at the well known chain was roughly about £145* per tyre. To swap for Pirelli P 6000's (wanted a more comfortable ride) was roughly £137* per tyre. The last time i'd changed tyres about 18 months - 2 years previously I checked first with an internet based company, then went to a local tyre depot that the internet outfit used, armed with the internet print out..and negotiated a bit more discount. This time I was away from home hadn't done any searching at all recently...but obviously had a very rough idea of what the price ought to be allowing for a bit of inflation.

I said I ought to be able to get the P6000's for £95 per tyre on the internet when at home...but as I was 500 miles away from home and didn't have easy access to a computer, if they'd do them for £100 per tyre i'd have all 4. The manager was called over and he imediately agreed the price. That's a £148* saving in one transaction and I am not usually a haggler that's for sure, you just have to make out you know what you're talking about.

* rough price from memory, i'd have to look up the invoice for an exact match, although I don't think i'm far out
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Talking Hoarse
On the other hand .....
Does your online retailer fix punctures?
Does your online retailer find an otherwise unobtainable exhaust brackets etc for a classic car?
We get a very excellent service from our local "big cheese" tyre depot (3 letters beginning with A), mostly down to the helpful team of staff at that branch. In the past months they have fixed a puncture in a hurry for me - whilst they had a workshop full, helped with repairs & parts for the classic car my son runs, offered helpful advice on the back of an MOT or a free safety check and many other small tasks.
I know that I can get tyres a few pounds cheaper at Costco or on line, but for very little more (this branch maybe in particular) provides us with an end-to-end tyre service as well as a really good personal service. That is why I go back to this branch and recommend them to my friends.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - perro
>>> Does your online retailer fix punctures? <<<

ah, well - you're talking about good ole customer service comrade hoarse, when i buy anything i'll research it down to the nth degree so that i don't need this ere service stuff, then i'll search around for the cheapest price for that item.
btw, what exactly are punctures.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - loskie
Last few years I have used our two local independants, Stewartry Tyres and County Tyres in Castle Douglas.
Prices are less than Black Circles(nearest fitter for them 15m) and certainly a lot less than the chains, plus they supply Vredestein Tyres which are my preferred brand. However if it wasn't for the internet sellers I imagine that prices would be a lot higher all round.
Good to keep business local, they will do you more favours plus out of hours service in an emergency.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - piston power
Have your own tyre machine and fit them yourself this saves us a fortune old machine £60.00 works just fine compressor to run it £50.00. paid for its self years ago.

Blackcircle was cheaper than mytyres when last got some some £13.00 cheaper each one nice saving.
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - Lygonos
Got a dynamic balancer too ?
The balancer is a 12 volt one as used in a mobile fitting van i use it from a power supply it works just fine now and again needs calabrating.

It's the weight thats expensive but i go see the lads at the fast fit place and buy the bucket of old weights sift through them and plenty there that do ok and some new ones that did not fit!

Because im tight but i don't care.!
Because im tight but i don't care.!

It's got me thinking! Seriously.
Plenty on e bay it's a manual tyre machine it will do 16" wheels no problem and alloys but you need the bar for alloys brand new bar was £50.00 off e bay unless your very carefull not to scratch them.

Any monkey can fit tyres no offence but it's easy, & there is a few cars in the family so it pays & i don't want to see them get ripped off.

There is plenty of tyre suppliers to get soap, patches/plugs, glue but again small amounts of valves and glue on e bay.

I use very cheap shampoo in a bottle less than 50p to lube the tyre and fit it's a soap no need to spend a fortune.

My compressor is 150ltrs but i use it for the air gun and spraying the machine will work with a 25ltr compressor but of no use for the gun.

Like i said im tight or just carefull but this thing has paid for itself over and over.
With two cars and a motorbike in our household alone, I could see a return on investment pretty quickly, and that's just working off fag packet calculations.

I've often seen some daft deals for supply only online, and thought if only I could fit the things myself.

Whether SWMBO would go for it is another matter of course ;-)
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - bell boy
bigtee buy a big tub of tyre soap and you will find most tyres will just fall onto alloys,its less than £20 for a big tub and if you keep the lid on will last you a lifetime.
Much much better than shampoo or other products that might have salt in them
£20 for a big tub and if you keep the lid on will last you a lifetime

For £20.00 id rather have a giant kebab 8 cans of stella and some mince pie's, i'll carry on with the shampoo thanks anyway bell boy.............
`Big Cheese` tyre places, `Spanked` by internet? - zookeeper
at least with the shampoo you get intant healthy balance " cause your worth it"