2000 1.8 Replacement diesel engine won't start - fingers
Please Help! - I've just changed my diesel engine for another second hand unit and I can't get it to start.
the car does not have a "chipped" key (not had one since i've owned it). Does it still need matching ti the ECU and if so how.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/06/2008 at 13:50

2000 1.8 Replacement diesel engine won't start - Screwloose

What makes you say that it doesn't have a chipped key? Are you outside the UK?

Did you fit the engine complete with it's own pump? Can you swap the old pump over? If not; the pump will need matching to the ECU with specialized equipment.

I am in the UK, the key I have looks like it was the old tourch key, but that part is missing. All that is left is the solid part where nothing can come apart.

I fitted the new engine with its own pump, the old pump was one of the problems.
2000 1.8 Replacement diesel engine won't start - DP
I am in the UK the key I have looks like it was the old
tourch key but that part is missing. All that is left is the solid part
where nothing can come apart.

The complete key looks like this:

www.remotekey.co.uk/images/ford-key-1.jpg

It splits along the U-shaped (ish) line.

Is the lower bit the part you have? The chip is in the upper bit.

Cheers
DP
2000 1.8 Replacement diesel engine won't start - kithmo
If the engine turns over on the starter but doesn't fire then the immobiliser (Chip) is not the problem.
2000 1.8 Replacement diesel engine won't start - DP
All UK Fords since about 1995 have had the PATS immobiliser system (chip key). If you have the key with the lock/unlock buttons, you can't see the chip (it's inside). The other keys have a blue or red square in the end where the keyring loop is.

The TDDi uses an electronically controlled injection pump which I believe requires coding to the car (or vice versa). I seem to recall reading this in the Haynes manual for the Fiesta mkIV which also used this engine.

As Screwloose asked, it's important to know if you swapped the injection pump and other ancillaries over from the old engine.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 13/06/2008 at 14:33

Does anybody know how much it costs and what is involved to get the injection pump coded to the car?
2000 1.8 I need to know please - fingers
Please can somebody tell me where I go to get the diesel pump "coded" to the ecu - whats involved and how much it will cost for my 2000 focus diesel

{moves to previous question as related}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/06/2008 at 17:06

2000 1.8 I need to know please - Screwloose
fingers

[With a name like that should I be giving you sensitive security-related info?]

It's code-matched to the immobilizer. You'll need to take it to the dealers; or a very clued-up mobile auto-locksmith from Yell.com.
2000 1.8 I need to know please - salf

Just a quick side question, if i get no replies ill post in the main bit, but...

If its a swap of engine, straight swap from 1.8 tddi to 1.8 tddi, do you need to inform anybody, DVLA / insurance?

Tbanks in advance,
Salf
2000 1.8 Replacement diesel engine won't start - louisec
All UK Fords since about 1995 have had the PATS immobiliser system (chip key). If you have the key with the lock/unlock buttons, you can't see the chip (it's inside). The other keys have a blue or red square in the end where the keyring loop is. The TDDi uses an electronically controlled injection pump which I believe requires coding to the car (or vice versa). I seem to recall reading this in the Haynes manual for the Fiesta mkIV which also used this engine. As Screwloose asked, it's important to know if you swapped the injection pump and other ancillaries over from the old engine. Cheers DP

DP you sound like the person I need to speak to.

I bought a 2000 focus tddi cl in november 2010 and has lots of starting problems with it. As the weather was very cold and we'd been told that glow plugs needed changing we had no reason to think it was more than that as it runs so well but after changing glow plugs we still have an intermittent starting-from-warm problem. It's starts perfectly from cold but every now and again (less since we changed the battery) it turns over for about 30 - 40 seconds before it fires up and then we get a big cloud of white smoke which stinks of diesel. I had thought maybe it was an immobiliser issue but without the owner's handbook I wasn't sure what was what. Now I have a handbook I'm thinking maybe not and then I read your message about the injection pump, and I know that this motor had a new injection pump not long before we bought it. The guy we bought it off said he had a mechanic friend who got one cheap and fitted it for him. So maybe we have this coding isssue? Do you know if this could cause an intermittent problem and can it be sorted out easily?

Thanks