96 1.8TD mark2 brake caliper on a mark1 - rat bike fan
I recently had a driver side front brake caliper seize whilst driving home (Mk1 TD 1.8 Mondeo, N reg). I thought the car seemed sluggish and was pulling to one side whilst braking. When I got out the front wheel was red hot, I at this point realized what must have happened. The next day I took the wheel off and sure enough the caliper was gripping the disc hard I had to hammer it off the disc! The piston seems seized. It pumps out but won't retract. I looked on the internet for a breakers who could supply a replacement. Through 1st choice I got a quote from a breakers for a caliper (and postage) for £28. I bought it but when it arrived yesterday I realized that from my model year info they'd presumed I had a Mk2!
I was wondering if this will fit a Mk1. Has anyone done this? and is it dangerous to mix caliper types? The only real difference I noticed was an electrical cable that my calipers don't have. I presume this must be some kind of wear indicator?

Any help / advice would be great.

Thanks.
96 1.8TD mark2 brake caliper on a mark1 - Collos25
If its the same shape, the piston diameters are the same, and takes the same pads then all should be ok.
96 1.8TD mark2 brake caliper on a mark1 - Dynamic Dave
The piston seems seized. It pumps out but won't retract.

Does it push back with relative ease using something like a screwdriver as a prising bar?

Have you stripped it down and checked the seals?
No it's still attached to the car at the moment (off the disc and tied up). I haven't had any spare time since it happened. It wouldn't fully retract while I was pushing it back. It seemed to go some of the way but not all of the way. The rubber gaitor at the back of the piston (the bit I could see anyway) has a large hole in it.
96 1.8TD mark2 brake caliper on a mark1 - DP
The rubber gaitor at the back of the piston (the bit
I could see anyway) has a large hole in it.

I had this on SWMBO's old Fiesta. When I peeled back the (split) gaiter on the piston, the top half inch or so (the exposed part) of the piston sides had bubbled up and corroded, preventing it from going back in.

A recon, spanking new looking caliper from the local factors was something daft like £30 exchange (after the deposit was refunded). Not worth mucking about with breakers for that sort of money.

Looking on a few parts websites, they list the same calipers for both mk1 and mk2 Mondeos. I've actually noticed this seems to be a fairly standard design of caliper anyway. Single piston with two slides, and the long, allen head mounting bolts tucked away behind the rubber covers. My mk2 Cavalier had them donkeys years ago, the aforementioned Fiesta, my old Mondeo, and my current Volvo S60. Probably subtle differences, but all the same basic shape and design.

If you're not sure, take the old one off, and do a visual check. I reckon they'll be identical.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 12/06/2008 at 00:52

Cheer's for that. I'll have a look at them both together at the weekend. You're probably right, there shouldn't be much difference between them. Like I said the only difference I could see was that the mark 2 replacement has an electrical connector on it. Presumably some kind of wear indicator that the Mk2's must use.
Thanks.