05 1.6 How do I adjust the handbrake ? - mustangman
The handbrake on my Focus now has rather too much free travel & needs adjusting.

I know that the brake shoes are adjusted correctly since I've examined them & they are in any case self-adjusting.
Assuming that there is some adjustment available, is this from under the car, or must I dismantle the box-cum armrest thing between the seat to find the adjuster / compensator.

Thanks in advance. (I guess I'm avoiding crawling under the car to find out.)

Btw, I've mentioned before, that Focii with rear drums seem to have poor brakes, and an equally poor handbrake. Part of the reason that it needs adjusting is that you have to heave on it for it to be effective.
05 1.6 How do I adjust the handbrake ? - Roly93
We have a 53 plate Focus - Great Car.
I adjusted the handbrake cable on this which was very easy, and assuming yours is the same, simply remove any centre consol trim around the handbrake lever itself, and you will see a locking nut on the cable connection to the handbrake. Simply adjust this with a 10mm socket (I think) until you can only just get 2 clicks on the handbrake - job done.
Yes, I suspect that I will need to dismantle the between seats console.

I'm worried that this is constructed of somewhat brittle plastic in several parts, with no obvious fixings. If I start levering & pulling at it I'm liable to do some damage.

Should I start with the parts around the handbrake lever, or remove the whole thing?

Any help appreciated.
05 1.6 How do I adjust the handbrake ? - Roly93
I cant remeber exactly how I dismantled this, but it was not difficult assuming you have the right tools, I think only 3 or 4 bols/screws hold the whole thing on and nothing is that fragile. You will have to remove all of the rubber bits/ashtrays etc to get at all of the screws.
Roly, thanks for your input.

Your car is a 53 reg, which would make it a mk1. Mine is the mk2, but may well be similar in construction. I'll have a carefull look around & see if i can get any bits off.

MM
05 1.6 How do I adjust the handbrake ? - Fullchat
Sorry cant help with the handbrake adjustment. I have the same year and model. I note that you have inspected the linings.
In order to do that did you have to remove the complete stub axle and drum by removing 4 bolts as per the earlier Focii or have they modified so the drum comes off on its own? I've had a bit of a feeble attempt but gave up as the drum didn't need to come off anyway.
The car has been laid up for 2 weeks and the brake shoes stuck to the drum. Real job freeing them off by driving backwards and forwards. I did wash it before parking it up but took it for a spin to dry the brakes off. Didn't seem to help. Would now like to take a proper look an check everything is ok.
FC

Assuming that your Focus has the same rear drums as mine, there is nothing holding the drums on. You simply remove the wheel and the drum should slide right off.
You may have to wriggle it to clear the wear ridge, but it should come off.

Be carefull that the auto adjust device is assembled the correct way if you strip things down.

I found that at 28k miles there was very little wear. It's just that the linings are IMO far too hard, and give the car poor brake bite and a lousey handbrake.

There is an inspection hole that Ford have positioned at the front of the backplate that is impossible to see through unless your head is the size of a cat. Perhaps you could see through it with a small mirror.