Used value: 2003 Hatch TDCI 130 Ghia X 6 speed - Chad.R
One of my relatives has been offered a 2003 Mondeo TDCI 130 hatch, Ghia X (6 speed) model with all the bells and whistles apparently with 102k and full Ford dealer service history. It's been serviced around every 12k from what she's seen of the service history. The car seems clean and tidy, no dents, scratches etc. in or out.

The price is around £4300 - there is little room for haggling as it's a collegues and she doesn't want to "fall out".

Price wise*, is this a good deal or not?

* The merits of buying a TDCI could be argued ad nauseum and probably have been here already ;-)

Edited by Chad.R on 09/06/2008 at 23:31

Thanks in advance....
Used value: 2003 Hatch TDCI 130 Ghia X 6 speed - Collos25
Its at least a grand to expensive for a private sale.
Used value: 2003 Hatch TDCI 130 Ghia X 6 speed - Blue {P}
I disagree, I'd reckon that the price is about right for a facelift model.

Edited by Blue {P} on 10/06/2008 at 08:51

Thanks for the responses - if Parkers is anything to go by then ....

1. 2.0TDCi Ghia X (130ps) 5d (6)
2. 2003/03
3. Average mileage: 50,000 miles

Original Price £20,620
Franchised Dealer £6,910
Independent Dealer £6,380
Private Good £5,910
Private Poor £4,620
Part Exchange £5,140

That is obviously for a car with 50k, the one in question has 102k. I don't have access to CAP and my "real world" knowledge about Mondeos is very limited - I haven't even been/sat in one!

...and just for reference, I've seen some pics and it is the facelift model with different front fogs, wood/leather rimmed steering wheel etc.
Used value: 2003 Hatch TDCI 130 Ghia X 6 speed - drivewell
Just done a quick 'Glass's' on it. Keep in mind these are trade-in prices, but mileage adjusted.

Ford Mondeo Ghia X
2.0TD Diesel 5-door Hatchback
6 Speed Manual Front Wheel Drive
Year: 2003 03
Mileage: 102,000

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition:
£2980

Average condition:
£2670

Below average condition:
£2350

H'mm, those CAP figures seem to suggest that the price is a little on the high side perhaps.

My cousin is looking for a top spec diesel car i.e. Ghia X, Elite, T-Spirt, Executive etc. and she's not too bothered by the make/model, though seems to have narrowed it down to a Mondeo, Vectra, Avensis, or Accord.

As none of those are particularly rare, I it may be worthwhile hanging around till a better deal comes up. My cousin's in no rush to buy and she can afford to take her time to look around. I might suggest she contact a auction buyer and see what crops up.....

Thanks again.
Used value: 2003 Hatch TDCI 130 Ghia X 6 speed - Alby Back
Well, all I would add, is that if she does go ahead with the purchase of the Mondeo at whatever price is satisactory to both parties, she will be getting a really good car. It is not a car which will score any points in the car park fashion parade but it will be a pleasure to own and drive. I always think of them a bit like that quiet guy in the office who doesn't say much but is actually better at his job than almost everyone else.
Yes, I'd quite agree.

As a "tool" and a driver's car the Mondeo seems to win in most reviews I've seen. Though I'm not sure whether my cousin is that bothered by the "drive". She want's something that gives a bit of luxury/economy for her ~80 mile daily commute. Her husband has a Terracan which they use on the weekends.
Used value: 2003 Hatch TDCI 130 Ghia X 6 speed - drivewell
Are they happy with their Terracan? Depends how much money she has available, but if she wants a bit of luxury, a bit of economy and a huge chunk of warranty, and isn't "too worried about the drive", she could look at this:

2006 56 Reg HYUNDAI Sonata 2.0 CRTD CDX
Price:
£9,000

Features: 12,000 miles Manual Black Diesel Saloon 1991 cc Full Description:

4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Diesel, 12,000 miles, Black. FINISHED IN BLACK METALLIC WITH CONTRASTING GREY LEATHER TRIM. FITTED WITH CLIMATE CONTROL, ELECTRIC WINDOWS, REMOTE DOOR LOCKING, ALLOY WHEELS, CRUISE CONTROL, TRIP COMPUTER, HEATED SEATS, 6 SPEED GEARBOX, PARK DISTANCE CONTROL, LEATHER TRIM. ONE OWNER WITH MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY UNTIL SEPT 2011. £9,000

She'd find this on Autotrader.
They seem very happy with the Terracan - her husband is a construction engineer/surveyor type and makes use of it's 4X4 capability and space.

A Sonata? Thanks for the suggestion - I don't think she's thought of anything outside the mainstream brands.....the Sonata would suit her and the long warranty would be very attractive. Though I think she has set herself a budget of around £6k.