00 1.8 Misfire frustration! - Demon
Hey all,

About 5 or 6 weeks ago I posted regarding a misfire that had developed and was solved at the time by replacing the HT leads to cyclinders 1 & 2. They both had orange rust like residue around the base on the outside and the wells in which the plugs sit had similar, as if there had at some point been a half inch of water in there. It had been fine since then and I had been checking for signs of a leak when the car was cold but saw nothing and can only assume that water got in at some point when the bonnet was open during a service/MOT perhaps (I'm rarely under there myself...!)

However this week just gone I've got a new misfire and began by getting another set of leads as the replacements had been cheapo ones. Didn't cure it, so got to changing the spark plug in cylinder 1, where the residue had been most prominent, took it for a two mile run and it didn't miss a beat. However took the car out this evening and misfire is back with a vengeance. So have now replaced all spark plugs, as well as leads...

After all that my question is, what are the chances of this being the coil pack going, just by coincidence, over the possibility of some other problem having developed due to the rusty patches? I'm thinking a second hand coil pack off eBay as the first port of call but after that I'd be lost. One final point I want to make is that, being as it's Sunday, I got the plugs from Halfords, and the ones they've supplied me have a longer threaded bit than the Champion ones I've taken out (which, by the way, all looked quite healthy) which obviously means they're sitting deeper in their holes, I take it this is acceptable...? Any ideas much appreciated, I'm currently keeping my AA card very close to my chest...!
00 1.8 Misfire frustration! - shadyarea
I would go for the coil pack as i said in the last post had same problem on mine yrs ago.After a heavy down pour I went through a deep puddle in a lane in the dark kept missing in lower revs after that, thought i might of got water in air take and bent a valve at first. Checked compression which was fine Changed plugs and leads next day went ok for a couple of weeks then started missing again had a good spark on all leads changed coil never had a problem after that in 2yrs then sold car
Spot on shadyarea,

My second hand coil pack from eBay arrived today so within five minutes of me getting back from work the car was back on the road! It had given up on me entirely Monday morning. Don't know if I mentioned this previously but I myself had several encounters with standing water during a spate of heavy downpours earlier this year and perhaps a months or so before the initial failure of the HT leads. I'll take it a little easier next time we're flooded (a couple of electrical gremlins cropped up at the time too).

Off topic, but the 54 plate Vectra estate I had from work whilst I was waiting for the coil pack to turn up, though roomy, gadget laden and solid feeling, was a dog to handle in comparison to my humble old MkII Mondeo. Are they really that bad or do we just have a lemon in work?!

Thanks again.
I cant really comment on that cause iv not driven the newer shape vectra. i did drive a 51 plate couple yrs ago did not like bought a mk3 mondeo instead.what i have read in reveiws of cars ,ford builds the best chassie for steering and handling
Haha, funnily enough the Vectra went back Wednesday evening so they gave me a 51 plate Mk3 Mondeo estate which I had driven before. A far superior beast that didn't give me the collywobbles going into every corner! Though I must admit that I cringe a little to tag myself as 'Mondeo Man' at age 27...
00 1.8 Misfire frustration! - DP
Not driven the Vectra, but the Mondeo is dynamically brilliant. You only realise this when you sell one on and drive something else. I've driven hot hatches that don't have anything like its steering feel or body control when pressing on.

I flogged my very leggy mk2 a few months ago for a Volvo S60. I love the Volvo to bits, but it's just so "numb" in comparison. Like there's twice as much rubber in between you and the road surface. The Mondeo was always happy to be chucked about, but the Volvo kind of huffs a bit if you treat it roughly. It likes to cruise.

I've heard that even the new Mondeo doesn't have the same dynamic talents as the mk1-3 versions.

Cheers
DP
iv been tagged mondeo mans for years owned a mk1 2ltr petrol automatic nice drive smooth change tad thirsty around town,mk2 2ltr ghia manual with revised zetec engine that was a better drive again and more frugal. Now have a mk 3 2ltr petrol zetec and this one is the best of lot owned it since 2003 only problem was a rattly inlet manifold.been driving a lot slower last few weeks and have seen mpg @34 to 36 didnt relise how heavy right footed i was used to think 28 was good
00 1.8 Misfire frustration! - DP
They're great cars. The difficulty is that due to the Ford badge, dull looks, and the fact they're flippin' everywhere, nobody tends to believe it. Fact is, they're well built, tough, reliable and great to drive.
I had 3 yrs and nearly 50k of great reliability from a 100,000 miler (when I bought it). The worst I had at MOT time were tyre advisories. Had the gutless TD engine, but cost buttons to own overall, and still had the dynamic class.

Cheers
DP
I agree i did around 35k miles in each of the mk 1 and mk2 and both purchased at auction with 100k on clock and never had any real problems.Both never failed a MOT in the 5yrs of ownership of the 2.Had to replace lower arms and various bushes, but is that not the same on any car.Have owned the mk3 for 5yrs now 55k on clock at purchase now 126k faied 1 MOT last year on a rear brake pipe apart from a new inlet manifold and a failed thermostat, to my knowledge still on original sub frame bushes and front arms.Not showing any signs of rust on doors engine is strong sounds sweet .just getting concerned about price of road tax next year so a change might be on the way later this year.