1998 1.2L Engine stopped won't re-start. - JohnV
Hi,
My daughter recently bought one of these and it was running fine then suddenly the engine stopped running as she was driving along the road and now wont even turn over.
She stopped and as she did there was a bit of smoke from the engine and a smell of burning electrical. When you turn the key the ignition lights come on but that is all, it doesn't even try to turn over. plenty of oil, water & petrol, not seized. Any ideas anyone?

John

Edited by Pugugly on 04/06/2008 at 22:30

1998 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa B - 1998 1.2L Broken - thomp1983
sounds like a burnt out starter motor. can you push the car with the handbrake off? if so try bump starting it, if you can't then the starter is likely seized on which is what id suspect. replacement is likely cheap enough from either scrapyard or ebay, there simple enough to change if your diy minded.

chris
1998 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa B - 1998 1.2L Broken - topbloke
if it will start from a bump this will almost confirm that the starter is u/s but always change the ing switch and make sure that the key is free to turn in the barrel, any stiffness change this as well, you will need to remove the barrel to get the switch of, if its the starter i can give you more guidance on fitting above items when and if needed
1998 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa B - 1998 1.2L Broken - ChicksFan
"My daughter recently bought one of these and it was running fine then suddenly the engine stopped running as she was driving along the road......"

If the engine stopped while she was driving along why would that mean the starter motor is duff?

Do the headlights work normally and shine brightly? If not I'd suspect the battery or charging system.

1998 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa B - 1998 1.2L Broken - topbloke
the starters stay engaged/spinning which will draw all the current from the battery
1998 1.2L Engine stopped won't re-start. - JohnV
Bump started fine, so replacing starter motor today, thanks all.
regards
John
1998 1.2L Engine stopped won't re-start. - topbloke
dont forget the ignition switch !
1998 1.2L Engine stopped won't re-start. - MissyDD

Hi ALL!
The same thing happened to me last night in my 1998 12v LS 1litre, engine cut out while I was driving, the car just rolled......i stopped the car, changed to neutral & put handbrake on & tried to start the car again - being a provisional driver, I thought it's me, I've stalled! but nothing, all the lights on the dash come on, head lights etc, but wont start, not even turning over. No Smoke from the car, no strange noises etc.
Luckily I was almost home so my 2 passengers were able to push the car into my drive with handbrake off, tried again 30 mins later nothing, same this morning.
Any ideas?
If it is the suspect start motor - do i hve to take to a garage? or can I get a "DIY" man to do it??
Many thanks
;)