Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - gsb
Sorry guys, I have got to have a rant. I?m quite attached to my 98 Pug 406 2.1td on 192m and believe I treat it with mechanical sympathy.
I took it for an MOT first thing this morning, same place as always and believe they give it a good look over. On the emissions test normally 2 or 3 increase in revs, not foot to the floor and it passes ok. This after checking engine hot, oil level and asking me when belt last changed.

But not this morning, some ------, who turns out to be a rep for I believe --- their equipment supplier is lucky to still be alive.

Straight after driving into the workshop before I noticed what was going on he had put the exhaust gas probe in and foot flat to the floor for 2-3 seconds, I thought the thing was going to take off. Suffice to say he could tell I was not pleased.

This was not even for the emissions test, just to demonstrate a new bit of kit that apparently they have to buy for next year when the emissions test will be linked directly to the computer and measured on only one increase in revs.

Ok I feel a bit better now, and the car passed again.
Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - oldnotbold
"But not this morning, some ------, who turns out to be a rep for I believe --- their equipment supplier is lucky to still be alive."

Did he ask your permission before taking control of your car? Was his use of your car for the impromptu demo of his wares covered by his employer's insurance? Imagine the bother if your car had gone pop while he had been at the controls. Try explaining that to his boss.

Fuming - I'd have been very unamused.
Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - Ravenger
Still it's a good idea to get your car warmed up before you take it to an MOT place, because they have to do the same thing for the emissions test. HJ recommends you take a diesel car up through the gears to 4,500 revs at least twice a week to clean it out. After it's warmed up of course.

Edited by Ravenger on 03/06/2008 at 14:28

Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - gsb
Ravenger. I saw your post before you edited it. I believe these days it does not have to be taken to the rev limiter and the car was warm ( I knew that he didn't know/ask) as having driven a deisel for 13 years I know what to 'normally expect'

I think oldnotbold understood where I was coming from
Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - oldnotbold
GSB - how about a call to the Sales Director of the company concerned, "suggesting" a £50.00 donation to your favourite charity. Go on, give it a whirl...
Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - skorpio
I also drive a 406 110TdI. I guess I've got all this to look forward to.

Why do they rev the pink fluffy dice off a diesel but don't do the same for petrol cars?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/06/2008 at 14:49

Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - Dynamic Dave
Why do they rev the pink fluffy dice off a diesel but don't do the same for petrol cars?

Explained here:- www.motuk.co.uk/manual_740.htm

Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - glowplug
I think I'd have asked for the keys to his car and rev'd it's nads off!

Steve.
Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - Brit_in_Germany
A case of the over active pnk fluffy dice filter? I alway thought the objected to word was mechanical in origin. HJ himself has no problems:

tinyurl.com/53t7z6
Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - Armitage Shanks {p}
I found a garage near my home which does NOT rev a diesel to the red line as they don't see the point of it and issue a pass without doing so. Details available from me (e mail) if you live near Grantham and don't want your diesel engine wrecked!
Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - flunky
A case of the over active pnk fluffy dice filter?

Not technically speaking a filter, given the 'edited by' text.
Rant on emmissions test for my 406TD - Dynamic Dave
The author censored the word himself by using $*& type characters. Had I followed forum policy on swearing to the letter I could have just gone ahead and deleted it instead of just changing it to pfd.

Back on topic now please. DD.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/06/2008 at 20:15