kids and cars! -advice needed - Rita
As I don\'t like to waste a good worry, could anyone out there manage to assuage my slight concern as to whether a flattish, triangular-shaped sea shell approximately 10p sized that was flicked by a young 8 year-old lad of my acquaintance (god bless his banjaxed ears) from the back seat of my Mercedes to the front thereby scoring a direct goal into the heating vents at the top of the dash could, sooner or later, cause damage. As of now the registered owner of the vehicle is unaware of the situation and I would like it to remain that way!!

All advice and soothing noises welcome.

Rita

kids and cars! -advice needed - Rita
Can anyone also tell me how my original post, drafted and text edited in Word and then copied and tranferred over ends up with some gobbledegook which was not in the original draft.

I'm puzzled is all.

Rita
kids and cars! -advice needed - Mark (RLBS)
Dear "AdviceRitaNeeded",

It doesn't anymore.

Mark.
kids and cars! -advice needed - Dynamic Dave
Can anyone also tell me how my original post, drafted and
text edited in Word and then copied and tranferred over ends
up with some gobbledegook which was not in the original draft.

Can't tell you why, but can advise that you use the "Preview" button first to check for errors.
kids and cars! -advice needed - Flat in Fifth
>> Can anyone also tell me how my original post, drafted
and
>> text edited in Word and then copied and tranferred over
ends
>> up with some gobbledegook which was not in the original
draft.
Can't tell you why, but can advise that you use the
"Preview" button first to check for errors.

>>

I think it is something to do with the Normal template in Word. When you copy stuff to the clipboard it can change the font dependant upon how you have Word and Windows set up.

It appears to me that certain characters get "altered" in the copy/paste bit and then the site interprets those in a different way from the way Word did. That is what my tame PC geek explained to me, the solution has not been found yet, but when I have all will be revealed.

As for your seashell problem. Can it be traced to you? No? Chill.
kids and cars! -advice needed - Martyn [(ex) BR moderator]
I didn't see the gobbledygook...

(We're not supposed to say that anymore, according to someone on the Today programme a couple of weeks ago. Nor niggardly.)

gobbledygook
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
gobbledygook
gobbledygook

(I always was a rebel!)

... but I think the answer is that Word uses special (high-bit) characters to achieve things like curly (smart) quote marks, dashes and ellipses (these three-dot things ---> ... ) etc. When web browsers, which use a much more niggardly character set, try to interpret them they come out as the aforementioned gobbledygook. (Miz Adams please note!)

Martyn [Back Room moderator]
====================
mailto:webmaster@honestjohn.co.uk
kids and cars! -advice needed - PB
I would tell the registered owner what happened but then tell them you did 20 handbrake turns to see if it would dislodge and it was fine. They will be so relieved that you didn't handbrake it they won't mind at all.
Although in the worst case that the shell hits the fan, my money is on the fan to win easily.
kids and cars! -advice needed - Mark (RLBS)
Surely it would have to work pretty hard to get to the fan, including going up at one point.
kids and cars! -advice needed - blank
Was it a Merc with a foot-operated parking brake. I have often (well, not that often really) wondered if you can handbrake turn one of these. Any answers?
kids and cars! -advice needed - Ian (Cape Town)
Just make sure small child is told that it is a 'secret'!
Otherwise he's bound to blurt it out sometime...
By the way, if you put your ear next to the heating vent, can you hear the sea?
kids and cars! -advice needed - BrianW
"As of now the registered owner of the vehicle is unaware of the situation and I would like it to remain that way!!"

Learn not to talk in your sleep ! ;-))

kids and cars! -advice needed - Dynamic Dave
As of now the registered owner of the vehicle is unaware of
the situation and I would like it to remain that way!!

Lets hope he or she doesn't read this forum then!!