2.5TDI 155bhp - feedback - 1.9tdi vs 2.5tdi - bigboyq
Hi,

I nearly decided to trade in my Volvo S60 2Ltr, and going for a Tdi. I have found a nice A4 2.5tdi. I have been searching he internet, and there is not much reference to this car, pleanty on the Quatro but not the 2WD version.

I know this engine is used across the range, and how people find this engine compared to the 1.9tdi, and how would they compare it.

Or is it better to save a bit more and go 4 the BMW 330D

Many thanks

BBQ

Edited by Pugugly on 28/05/2008 at 18:10

2.5TDI 155bhp - feedback - 1.9tdi vs 2.5tdi - Paul I
Smoother, Quieter, less mpg the 2.5 isn't a bigger 1.9 as some think, more a hybrid as they use lots of parts. Both are good engines just different.
2.5TDI 155bhp - feedback - 1.9tdi vs 2.5tdi - Pugugly
Try a 330d - its a remarkable engine by any standard - let alone a diesel.
2.5TDI 155bhp - feedback - 1.9tdi vs 2.5tdi - Alby Back
The 2.5 TDI is a nice engine but makes the car a bit too nose heavy in press on situations. It can feel quite understeery as a result. The 1.9 is less powerful of course but much more suited to the Audi chassis. I would also be looking to BMW if you fancy a more powerful diesel. Depends where and how you drive of course.
2.5TDI 155bhp - feedback - 1.9tdi vs 2.5tdi - oldtoffee
I've used two local independents to service our family and company VAG diesels over the last 5 years and both of them rate the 1.9 PD as a brilliant unit and the 2.5 as the complete opposite advising me not to consider one out of warranty unless I fancied throwing money at them and if I did, I should find one with the tiptronic box. I'm not technical at all so I didn't ask for any explanation, I just listened!
2.5TDI 155bhp - feedback - 1.9tdi vs 2.5tdi - Hamsafar
The BMW engine is much nicer than the V6 VAG unit in every way. The VAG 2.5 RDI is nothing special an rather thirsty. It is refined enough for the VW sprinter van, but not a premium brand executive car.
2.5TDI 155bhp - feedback - 1.9tdi vs 2.5tdi - 659FBE
I would rate the above as excellent advice from NeilS. The old V6 is not a reliable engine and is expensive to fix, either routinely for belt replacement or when other nasty things happen to it such as cam and follower failure, oil leaks etc.

The 1.9 PD is about the most efficient diesel ever made wheras the V6 is old technology (Bosch rotary pump) and it shows. Compare the CO2 figures bearing in mind that the 2.5 develops only a little more power than the 1.9. Road tax implications therefore follow.

The 2.5 is smoother and makes a nice noise.

Edited by 659FBE on 28/05/2008 at 19:49