350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - car_mad_man
Hi

I am very tempted to swap my 350z for an Elise or vx220 Turbo as fancy something a bit more extreme - my car is a 350z GT Coupe with 18" Rays Alloys

Its great but I have the opportunity of running a small car day to day for work so can afford to get something a little more 'mad' potentially.

The question is.....would you say an Elise/VX220 would tick the boxes or are they a bit over-rated?

The standard one seems a bit slow at 5.8 seconds to 60 - the same as the 350z, which seems a bit pointless.

However the 111s is 5.1 to 60 which sounds more like it!

Also, is it worth considering the VX220 Turbo?

Any feedback welcomed as to whether I am doing the right thing!

350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - Round The Bend
If you think that 0.7 secs 0 - 60 is really worth the hassle then go for it!
Personally I would prefer the relative comfort of the Nissan.
350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - dieselicious
Slightly off topic, but does the 350Z have any rear seats?

Answer much appreciated - thanks!
350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - DP
I have driven a series 1 1.8 quite extensively, having had one on extended loan from a mate while he was out of the country.

I guess it depends how "legally" you drive. Off the line and up to 70/80 mph, it feels very quick, with that lovely, instant shove you only get from a lightweight car. Over these speeds, it's nothing special in performance terms, but then it's only got 118 bhp.

The Elise's piece de resistance is its handling though. It will redefine what you thought was possible in terms of grip, corner speed and feedback. Unless you're used to driving a Caterham or similar it will blow your mind - it did mine anyway. No power steering, no brake servo, just a quick rack, a total lack of inertia thanks to its tiny weight, and stacks of feel through seat and wheel rim. It makes every car you'll drive afterwards feel leaden and bloated.

They are possible daily drivers, but the hoods leak, and the interior fixings are, let's just say "lightweight". Getting in and out with the hood up is something that takes time to master, and noise levels on the motorway can be tiring. That said, it's comfy enough, and there's a real sense of occasion driving it that you won't get at anything like the money elsewhere. I'd struggle to live with it pounding motorways every day though.

Haven't tried the VX, but the turbo version's performance is spectacular. Year for year, a VX is also a lot cheaper than an Elise. I wouldn't like to say which is better.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 22/05/2008 at 13:31

350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - adverse camber
>>The standard one seems a bit slow at 5.8 seconds to 60 - the same as the 350z, which seems a bit pointless.

If you think 0-60 times are the important measure then you're missing the point.

Handling. Brakes. Overtaking Performance. In that order imo.
350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - perleman
I think you'd fing the lack of mid & top end power very frustraiting after driving a 3.5 v6. As others have pointed out the Lotus will perform better in every aspect except power / torque, making it a brilliant track / twisty road car but maybe a bit tedious and impractical for normal use. If you want something that has a greater level of performance overall that will blow away the 350z I suggest a Nobel (from £20k-ish), an Excige, or maybe a 996 911s from '01 on with 320BHP and 4.8s 0-60
350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - dieselicious
Or wait for the the Nissan GT-R. According to Evo Magazine it moves the came on from the Audi R8, and for a fraction of the price.
350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - tonyrees68
its all down to the grin factor what will make you smile the most if you want raw fun and excitment get the westfield thats the quickest way point to point
have fun
350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - Alby Back
if you want raw fun and excitment get the westfield thats the quickest way point to point

Oh yes yes yes yes get a Westfield!!

Why, oh why, oh why, did I sell mine??

:-(
.*********
tony
ok the westfields will leak a lot in the wet weather and you will get insects in your hair teeth and down the tee shirt and you really need a garage to keep it in and i always hurt my self getting out of the car (not a svelt body ) ive got a very old 1.4 k series and it goes ,and if 0 -60 times are your bag then this beats lots if you like to drive and want to feel a car try one very cheap racing driver dreams
350z for Elise/VX220 Turbo? - Alby Back
Mine was just a 1.6 X-Flow. But the sound, the feel, the handling, just soooo good. We took it to the Alps and the south of France a few times. You know the road where Clarkson raced the climber? That gorge road was just awesome in the Westie. I so miss it. It wasn't a car in many ways, it was just a toy but what a toy.
shoespy what an exelent holiday ive never taken my car that far but what a trip you had i bet it was fabbo ive only ever been to wales from london and that was a challenge but a good one anyhoo get a westfield isa a good trip