Deflating Tyres - Jase
Morning All,

The tyres on my Cavalier not retaining their pressure too well any more. My local Vauxhall garage says that the lacquer on the alloy wheels is coming off and air is escaping from around the rim. I suspect that this problem is going to get worse as time contines!

I do not really want to lash out on a set of new wheels so I I was wondering if alloys can be refurbished, what the approximate cost might be per wheel and if anyone knows a reputable firm in or around the Bournemouth area.

Thanks in anticipation
from Jason
Deflating Tyres - Ian (Cape Town)
Yes they can.
But...
This topic was discussed a week or so ago here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=61...9

Please note the caveat that you MUST get your own wheels back, not a "swop" refurb.

Hope this helps.
Ian

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=61...9
Deflating Tyres - james S
Why not try a can of that tyre sealing stuff for emergency repairs. Presumably it goes to where the leaks are. It sounds as if your tyres are defalating rapidly. £10 or whatever the a can costs must be worth a go compared to refurb costs.
Deflating Tyres - Peter D
Yes they can be refurnbished at a cost of £25 to £30 per wheel.

However if the exposed face of the wheel are in good nick you can have the tyres taken off and you can rub down the sealing area of the alloy and outer edge of the rim prime, paint, with a silver/steel wheel spray paint and laquer. masking off the face of the allow avoids any colour/finish mis match but tyou must recaot the actual rim part of the allow. Now leave the paint to cure for a week before putting the tyres back on. Costs a lot less but very time consuming and you need at least two spare wheels and tyres to keep you going. Use of two pack paints and laquers helps reduce the curing time but you are probable not into that.

There are some good deals around on new allows and ask you car makers garage if they have had any customers ordering new cars but had the allows changed for specials thus a share set of allows.

Good Luck Peter
Deflating Tyres - Dizzy {P}
Obviously it would be best to properly refurbish the wheels but if you can't afford the time to do this there is an alternative that should last quite a long time. This is to have a tyre dealer remove the tyre from the leaking wheel, clean off the loose corrosion and refit the tyre using the purpose-made sealant that he will almost certainly have to hand (usually a bright orange cream). The cost, including rebalancing, shouldn't be much more than a fiver per wheel.
Deflating Tyres - Dynamic Dave
The tyres on my Cavalier not retaining their pressure too well
any more. My local Vauxhall garage says that the lacquer on
the alloy wheels is coming off and air is escaping from
around the rim.

Had the same happen to mine. Starts with just one wheel, then the others follow in turn. The exterior of my wheels were fine. What caused the damage was the clip on wheel weights. It removed the paint/laquer over a period of time and corrosion set in. I got a mate at a local tyre centre to remove tyre, then I sanded down the inner face of the alloy wheel until smooth and free of flaky paint. Then I resprayed using Hammerite smooth finish aerosol (in silver) first masking off the outside of the wheel. A trip back to the tyre garage the next day to have tyre refitted. Then got mate to use stick on wheel weights. Repeat for other wheels as and when neccesary.