1998 - Very heavy steering - cliff
Hi

I have a 10 year old Saxo without power steering.

To me the steering seems extra heavy, the tyres are at the correct pressure but manoeuvering it you need arms like Arnie!

I know I'm used to power steering, as is the misses, but she can't even turn the wheel.

Is there anything I can do/check? Re-grease the rack perhaps? Would this be an option, or even pump some oil in?

Any ideas?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/05/2008 at 11:35

1998 - Very heavy steering - deepwith
Have the tracking checked.
1998 - Very heavy steering - piston power
I think you are probably so used to the power racks that you have forgot how they are on non assisted cars.

I drove a capri 2.0s the other week blimey it's like a tank on corners but half a hour latter i was used to it and it was fun to drive!.

All you can do is make sure all is well jack it up check for any play, check no coil springs are broken, anti roll bar bushes are ok etc.
1998 - Very heavy steering - dieselnut
People who havn't driven a non power steering car probably don't realise the effort required to turn the steering for parking etc at slow speeds. Without power steering you would always have the road wheels turning even if only slightly, to reduce the steering effort. Makes me cringe when you see in car parks people going from lock/lock with the car completely stationary. Not something you would do without power assistance.
1998 - Very heavy steering - Peter.N.
With a non powered steering car, the choice of tyres makes a significant difference to the lightness. Years ago my mother bought a Peugeot 205 with no PAS and complained bitterly. I went to my local friendly tyre supplier and and felt all the different types he had in stock until I found some with a really soft, flexible tread, I had those fitted and it transformed it.
1998 - Very heavy steering - L'escargot
Makes me cringe when you see in car parks people going from lock/lock with the
car completely stationary. Not something you would do without power assistance.

It's not something I would do ever, especially on tarmac. On tarmac it tears bits off the road surface.
1998 - Very heavy steering - Aretas
The Mk1 Yaris was available without power steering and it was fitted with narrower tyres than the p.a.s cars.
Does your car have the correct tyres?
Same car happened to me - chrisw2uk
Was outside the Post Office just dropped wife off to post letter and engine was obviously idling when she got back in i went to pull off and the steering had locked up like was really hard to move almost impossible i suppose if i was moving it would of been easier but i know what the geezer says when you need to be Arnie...Yes it must of been the PAS cutting out for some reason brought on by the engine being really low revs i think, its never happened again....but i do think ofit happening again and the force it took to turn and could i crash if PAS turned off???? Worrying