1997 1.9 Engine cuts out first time - rossinatrench
Hi

i have a Peugeot 306 D turbo and it starts first time but shortly cuts out afterwards as if it is chocking even when i give it revs - i need to pop the bonnet and prime the fuel line before i can start it again, and once it is running it works fine. I recently used biodiesel for the first time but changed the filter as i know this can become blocked but the aforementioned problem still happens. I have made sure there is no air in the fuel line.

any ideas and solutions would be great, i am normally quite good with engines but this has got me stumped.
1997 1.9 Engine cuts out first time - Screwloose

If priming it fixes it; then you have an air ingress.

What exactly was this "bio-diesel?"
1997 1.9 Engine cuts out first time - Peter.N.
I had the same problem with my XM last week which turned out to be a split fuel hose, as Screwloose says - letting air in. I assume this fault was present before you changed the filter, if not, check that the filter is not leaking. Otherwise, just follow the fuel line and look for cracks/splits.
1997 1.9 Engine cuts out first time - stevegee
I just refitted an XUD to my 306 with a LUCAS CAV pump, and had devil of a job priming it and making it run. In the end I followed the Haynes manual advice and removed the plunger from the stop solenoid as they emphatically state that if the "STOP SOLENOID malfunctions" the engine will stop/not start and not run.
Sure thing I pulled the plunger apart, and the car started and ran as soon as I refitted the modified stop solenoid. You could try this as its an easy check. To stop after starting push the stop lever. (LHS of LUCAS pump) if when you put the solenoid back togther and refit it stops then its solenoid.
Thats what mine is trouble is I cant get it to start and run with an exchange solenoid so I am puzzled by what to do next. Maybe the pressure pump in the injector pump is crook. I hope not and i hope my advice helps you fix yours. let me know thanks.

Edited by stevegee on 03/06/2008 at 10:54