99 1.3 Burning Smell and Lack of Poke!? - studavis
My 10 year old (standard) Ka is up to 114k miles, and as much as it is coming to the end of its life it has been a good servant.

Recently though I have noticed that at apparent random times, it has lost its acceleration. It doesn't do it every time, perhaps twice in the last week (and I drive it every day). After cruising at say 45 in fifth it will just lose its poke (ie pedal to the metal in fifth and it's still decelerating) and I'll need to drop down to 3rd to get it back through the gears - till it gets back into fifth and I have to begin again.

At the same time that this is happening I have noticed a slightly plasticcy burning smell coming through the vents. They haven't happened separately, they both happen together.

Luckily, both times it has happened I have been near the end of my journey. Next time I start the car up, it reacts and drives fine.

Anyone got any clue based on these symptoms what might be happening?!
99 1.3 Burning Smell and Lack of Poke!? - Screwloose

Have you checked the coolant level?
Yup, checked all my levels - the coolant was just on the MIN line, but there was still a fair bit in there - I have (obviously) since topped it up.

In that case; I'd wonder about a single-cylinder ignition misfire [plug; lead; coilpack; ECU] causing the cat to glow.
Is that serious?

Too early to say; it just guesswork.
99 1.3 Burning Smell and Lack of Poke!? - Another John H
Would the OP recognise clutch slip?

Foot down in a high gear - revs go up, speed goes down, nasty burning smell... change down a gear or two and things seem OK.
99 1.3 Burning Smell and Lack of Poke!? - Railroad.
I'd say the exhaust is blocked, most likely the catalyst. Loosen the frontpipe and drive it round the block. If it goes like it should do then you've found the problem. Don't forget that it will sound like a racing car, so I hope you get on well with your neighbours....