06 1.7 van wiper fault - gluesniffer
I have a problem with the wipers on a 2006 Astra van. When the wipers are switched on with a dry screen the wipers sweep is ok. If they are switched on with a wet screen they start hitting the bulkhead and slipping off the side of the screen. I have tried altering the wiper arms but to get the banging to stop the wipers end up parking too high on the screen.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Edited by Pugugly on 06/05/2008 at 23:27

06 1.7 Van wiper fault - Dynamic Dave
Has anyone changed the wipers? Are the correct length ones fitted?

Wiper lengths - 550mm (22"), 450mm (18") according to Vauxhall's website.

06 1.7 Van wiper fault - gluesniffer
Yes Thanks, Already checked and they checkout. This is really baffling.
06 1.7 Van wiper fault - L'escargot
Has anyone changed the wipers? Are the correct length ones fitted?

Sounds like someone might have changed the wiper arms and fitted some which are longer than the originals.
06 1.7 Van wiper fault - L'escargot
Forget my last suggestion. Instead, investigate whether there is any free-play (i.e. wear) in the linkages. Switch on the wipers and then stop them in mid-stroke by switching off the ignition. Look for free movement in the wiper arms. If there is a significant amount this could give the symptoms you described.
Switch on the wipers and then stop them in mid-stroke by switching off the
ignition.

Not as simple as that. Newer Vauxhalls *always* finish their cycle and then park the wipers at the base of the screen when the ignition key is turned off. There is a way to do it though - which is explained in the handbook.

EDIT:
Within 4 seconds of switching off the engine but with the key in the starter switch, press the windscreen wiper stalk downward. Release the stalk as soon as the wiper blades are vertical.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/05/2008 at 11:16

06 1.7 Van wiper fault - Victorbox
DD - you are a mine of info & there was me wondering how to get the blades to hold a sheet of plastic over the windscreen all last winter!
06 1.7 Van wiper fault - topbloke
thats new to me aswell and i work for a dealer. in my defence i dont have time to read the manual (neither do most owners)
Only way I knew is because I wanted to park the wipers vertically on my Vectra-C to hold a sheet on the windscreen one evening. One quick RTFM and I found out how to. Having previously downloaded a 2005 Astra manual from Vauxhall's website, I saw the proceedure was the same (apart from on the Vectra it's 8 seconds, not 4).

Late Edit. Appears that we've hi-jacked gluesniffers question. Can anyone help with his question please

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/05/2008 at 20:56