2005 2.0 hdi 136 cracking/popping noise - Grosu_r
Hi.I drive a 407 55 plate,hdi luxury pack.I some noises when parking,a clunk and the whole car is kinda shaking when turning the steering wheel almost full...I thought it might be a problem with the power steering pump(not sure if the exact definition ) or something to do with the ball joints....
I also have a ''problem'' with the whole snip engine....one of the engine mounts(support)might be loose i think,and when I start the car,if you look at the engine compartment,the whole thing shakes like it wants to start running...Is that normal with the 407s?

Don't have any friends with this kind of car,so i can't check...

And last problem....when going over the speed bumps(i live in london,so have plenty of those ),i hear some kind of noise which i think it comes from the suspension...sounds like stretched rubber,if that makes any sense....any1 else experiencing the same problems?
Thank you and hope to hear your views soon

Edited by Pugugly on 05/05/2008 at 01:03

55 2.0 Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi 136 cracking/popping no - Screwloose

Quite a disparate collection of symptoms there; but given the vibration and "rubbery" issues, I wonder if the rubber-damped front crank pulley is coming apart?

Without the steering problem; I'd have gone for a failing dual-mass flywheel.

In any event; this needs investigating urgently as impending disasters loom - a failed DMF will smash the gearbox off the engine and a failed crank pulley often takes the cam-belt out; with resultant catastrophic engine damage.
55 2.0 Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi 136 cracking/popping no - Grosu_r
Tell me about it :-((
Thanks for the quick reply.
Few more questions if you don't mind,as i don't know much about mechanics...The flywheel...that's part of the gearbox as you say,so how hoes it affect the steering?I didn't notice any problems changing gears...
As for the crank pulley...is that serious?I will have the car checked first thing tuesday morning,when the garages open...
I only bought the car few weeks ago,and already thinking of selling it...
Thanks again

Please don't try to by-pass the swear filter by misspelling swear words - otherwise the lot gets binned

Edited by Pugugly on 05/05/2008 at 01:05

55 2.0 Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi 136 cracking/popping no - Screwloose

That was my point; without the sterring fault it's a, fairly common, DMF failure. [It's between the engine and gearbox.]

Get a competent person to have a look; hopefully, it's just the crank pulley as replacing the flywheel is rather expensive..... [Maybe that's why it was sold...?]
55 2.0 Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi 136 cracking/popping no - pd
If the steering has a judder to it when turning at low speed as if the pump doesn't seem powerful enough then that is very common on 407's and probably not worth bothering with it. They all seem to do it to a lesser or greater extent.
Hi.Thankx for the replies.I had it checked by a garage,and also had the timing belt changed as it was due soon,just to be on the safe side.The mecanic is saying thats nothing to worry about,that most cars have that vibration when turning the stearingwheel...To be honnest,i find it hard to belive...I drove all sorts of cars,newer that my 55 pug,or older,but never experinced that vibration or popping noise.So,i'll have a second opinion next week
Hi.just an update...i had a second opinion on the stearing noise...apparently,its either the steering rack or the steering pump...the mecanic advised me to go for the rack...it'll cost me £130+VAT to have it reconditioned+100.Its quite cheap considering a brand new one is £990
55 2.0 Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi 136 cracking/popping no - alahor
I had a similar problem 05 plate 407 2.0 hdi 136 the dealer replaced both corroded ball joints under warranty. It also had a bigger turning circle and a very heavy steering. All cured now and the car travels in a straight line without pulling to one side.
Hi.Thankx for the replies...
Right,i had the ball joints changed...didnt make much difference,just the popping noise was gone,but the rattling (vibrating)was still there...So,after few good quid spend with incompetent mecanics,finally 1 of them decided to do a steering flush...I tell ya,it did wonders...I'm well happy with the steering now,smooth as a baby's bottom
55 2.0 Peugeot 407 2.0 hdi 136 cracking/popping no - davex72
I have a similar problem with my 05 407 HDI. (Its only done 40K miles). I dont get any noise but i can feel 'vibration' and 'grabbing' from the steering wheel when going over bumps or rough road. but also when turning corners and going round bends etc I can feel the steering wheel 'grabbing' or jerking slightly. I took it to a local garage and the mechanic tested it out and reckons it is momentarily dropping power to the power stering intermittently. He said he wasnt sure what the exact problem was but id going to speak to a 'mate' that works for a peugeot dealer.
I suggested the Steering flush but he reckons that the problem is more 'involved' than that!
Any ideas?