1996 2.0 Central Locking Not Working Properly. - Sharpy
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone can help with my problem please? The motor went on our central locking system for the boot AGES ago, but it's now affecting both doors on the drivers side. The back door won't unlock AT ALL and the drivers door often has to be opened with the key. Yesterday I couldn't even do that because it kept locking again when I tried to open the door.

What I want to know is how to change the motor (if indeed this is the problem) and how much I'm likely to have to pay for one? I've seen some on eBay for around £20, but I'm not sure if it's the one I need. The car was made in November 1996 so I'm guessing it's a B model.

Thanks in advance.
1996 2.0 Central Locking Not Working Properly. - V69
I had similar problem on a 1998 CDX Estate. The tailgate locking system just refused to work one day after I'd put the dogs in. Had to drop the back seat to let them out! Most disconcerting for them.
My then local Vauxhall dealer simply reset the transponder coding and hey presto, everything worked again and never had any further problems.
Do I not need new motors then? We can still open the boot with the key, but the back drivers side door won't unlock at all.
1996 2.0 Central Locking Not Working Properly. - topbloke
more likely a broken wire in each of the doors, check in the rubber boots between the door and the door pillar they can befixed but a bit fiddly
Is that likely to be the problem with the boot too?
1996 2.0 Central Locking Not Working Properly. - Chris M
Sharpy
I don't think backroomers can give you a definitive answer from afar. What you need to do is some investigative work of your own. Get a multimeter, or lightbulb on a piece of wire, and find out whether you have current to the various components. If you have then it's the component, if you haven't, it could be a break in the wire, a fuse, a relay, a switch......
Electrical problems can take time to identify. Methodically work your way through the system.
Cheers, I'll have a look about at some point and report back. Incidently, the back door lock has now come unstuck, but it still needs to be locked manually, the central locking refuses to work on it.
The back door now no longer locks AT ALL! A neighbour had a look and said it's the locking mechanism that's gone so we're on the look out for a replacement. Easier said than done.
The back door now suddenly locks again!! The lock button doesn't work, it's constantly in the down position but at least the door isn't stuck any more. We still have to use the key for the drivers door and the boot, but I can live with that. It'll be going soon anyway!
1996 2.0 Central Locking Not Working Properly. - Victorbox
My Cavalier boot lock central locking stopped working when the cable than runs through the rubber flexible tubing near the hatch hinges frayed through & I guess your doors (having an intermittent fault) are going the same way.