1992 2.3 Oil in the Coolant Reservoir - killie
Hi
Went to look at a W124 Mercedes 1992 150000 Miles
Had a look around the engine before starting the Car their appeared to be Oil in the Coolant
It's kind of Dark brown but hard to tell the exact color was wondering if this could be ATF fluid as the Temp gauge seems normal with the engine running.
If it's the heat Exchanger in the Rad leaking Fluid in to the Coolant is it an easy Job to Fix
always supposing I can get the parts.
Thanks
Ian.H
1992 2.3 Oil in the Coolant Reservoir - Number_Cruncher
If it were ATF leaking in via the radiator, I would also expect to see water in the ATF, which would soon become pink and milky. There is also a method whereby the ATF can be sampled and checked for the presence of glycols.

It's also possible that there's a head / head gasket problem on the car. To confirm, have a garage "sniff" the coolant reservoir for hydrocarbons with their exhaust gas testing equipment while the engine is running.

1992 2.3 Oil in the Coolant Reservoir - MW
You may be able to smell it, if you can get a deposit big enough between your fingers. Either way, if its auto fluid the gearbox is finished, cost = £2,500+. If its oil, then head gasket, cost = £ 600+.
In either case why bother with this second hand car. It's a wreck. The radiator is about £130 from Euro Car Parts. I fitted one easily in about 1 hour.
These cars are great if you get a good one, but never struggle with a wreck, the cost is prohibitive.
1992 2.3 Oil in the Coolant Reservoir - Metronicity
I have a 1993 260E W124. They are known as the best Benz ever - very tough and reliable. 150, 000 miles isn't such a big deal. However they are prone to head gasket problems. Compression test?