2005 1.6HDI Dual Mass Flywheels - alec I
Having read HJ's comments last Saturday regarding Dual Mass Flywheels, is there any way to prolong their life? eg. Driving style. What are the consequences of this part failing? Are there any warning signs such as vibration or noise. Are some Diesels better than others.
2005 1.6HDI Dual Mass Flywheels - Ian35
I do not think you can do anything about it other than not use the car. Ours failed such that we could not engage gear and the consequence was RAC recovery and a £1350.00 bill via the main dealer. This happened recently at 55K on a Picasso 1.6 HDI. I am trying to get Citroen to make a contribution but their view is that this is just normal wear and tear.
2005 1.6HDI Dual Mass Flywheels - RichardW
I have a suspicion that part of the problem with DMFs is that they do not have the heat absorbing capacity of a standard flywheel - I've heard of some failing after long traffic jams, or being blued when taken out. Hence, I would avoid anything that might overheat the DMF - ie holding the car on the clutch; and pull away carefully - get the thing rolling without any revs, and get the clutch right in before accelerating - a slight modification to driving technique, but diesels don't need any revs to get rolling if you're a bit gentle with the clutch.