81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - oldnotbold
Mk1 Golf 1.5 Cab - parked in a garage in a fully running condition. Left for four years. Engine now seized. Nothing has been done to it since it came out of the garage.

What do you suggest, BRs?

Car has 86k, FVSH, sound hood, one wing to be painted and I've bought it for £300!
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - stevekay
I suspect that more than the engine will be seized! Brakes, clutch, tyres all flat, battery shot, rubber bushes corroded on suspension and mounts - £300 might have been too much! Let the fitters give you the bad news - sounds like a full rebuild and megga money to me.
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - 659FBE
Don't move the engine otherwise the rings may break. Remove the plugs and inject a liberal quantity of graphited penetrating oil. Leave for at least a day.

Using a spanner on the crank pulley bolt, turn engine slowly with the plugs out stopping at any undue resistance. Eventually the engine should turn smoothly. Inject some engine oil into the bores and turn over by hand again.

Examine cambelt throughout its length to assess safety for powered cranking. If reasonable, crank the engine over on the starter with the plugs out and ignition disabled until oil pressure is registered.

Renew the cambelt, tensioner and idler and preferably the water pump. Replace plugs and start up having replaced the fuel and the filter.

Good luck. Any short cuts may result in broken piston rings or a snapped cambelt.

81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - defender
fill the bores with coke ,best left for a day and then as 659 s instructions
coke is one of the better releasing/penetrating fluids and cheaper than most
have used this method and it does work
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - Railroad.
fill the bores with coke best left for a day

Would that be diet doke, fat boy coke or pepsi?........
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - mrmender
I very much doubt the engine will be seizes just left in a dry garage. Put a spanner on crank pulley and see how it feels.
Dont put coke down bores under any circumstances, Try penitrating oil or Leave brake fluid overnight down bores.
I state again i very much doubt it it is seized after being left in a garage.
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - TurboD
But was it seized when it went into garage? I bought a car like that many years ago, and I found , on dismantling, that the crankshast had snapped. Still you take that risk with a non-runner. I would want to dismantle the engine to renew moving parts , if you are going to keep .
Hot oil poured down the bores if it is just rust ( very hot) just mind out . If mechanically seized, well another matter.
why would you not put coke in it to free it off ?
like I said it will free off a seized engine and have never found any harmfull effects from doing so
just interested in your reason for saying this ,have you had a bad experience with doing this?
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - mrmender
Good for you! just remind me never to buy a car from you. Can you imagine the damage coke would do to valves etc
1. put a valve in a jar of coke for a day and see what happens
2. remember to swallow your pride and come back to tell us you were wrong
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - Dynamic Dave
Remember,
politeness costs nothing,

However, rudeness = deleted post(s)
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine - techniques? - Peter.N.
I would agree with mrmender. If the engine was running when it was parked up and had plenty of oil in it, I can see no reason why it would seize. The clutch, yes, the brakes, yes, but not the engine. Are you sure its not just something as simple as a jammed starter?
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine techniques? Update - oldnotbold
I've taken all four spark plugs out. Counting L-R, no.1 plug was rusty on the side electrode. The face of the piston is visible and rusty, as it's close to TDC. The other three plugs all look like a reasonably lean-running plug should look, and there's no sign of rust. I checked the ones at BDC by poking in a stick and scraping the face of the pistons.

One chance is that there's a partial HGF, but the other more likely scenario is that the outlet valve happened to be open, as you'd expect at TDC on the exhaust stroke, which would account for the damp getting in.

I've sloshed 3 in 1 into all four, and more into no.1, and I'll leave over night.

Edited by oldnotbold on 30/04/2008 at 17:40

81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine techniques? Update - zookeeper
I've sloshed 3 in 1 into all four and more into no.1 and I'll leave
over night.

our thoughts are with you..... god bless
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine techniques? Update - 659FBE
Of course, I wish you the best of luck but for the sake of a few pounds, why not take good advice and use penetrating oil? The rings will be stuck and carbonised and there are three of them with staggered gaps. The oil ring has an expander ring behind it.

To stand a chance of freeing this lot without damage you need penetrating oil, preferably graphited, not lubricating oil (at this stage).

81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine techniques? Update - Lud
Bit late now, but Redex used to be used for this and to free gummed rings etc.

Surely the pistons must be alloy? What you can see through the plug hole is more likely to be carbon, unless as you seem to suspect the head gasket has leaked rusty coolant into the cylinder.

Bon courage onb. Keep us posted.
81 1.5 Freeing a seized engine techniques? Update - Peter.N.
If its had water leaked into it that's a different ball game, the rings would have rusted to the bores. Oil and gentle persuasion would be the key. Perhaps a socket on the crankshaft pully bolt with a l-o-n-g bar.