03 1.5 Brake Fade - flatcap
Hi,

Just had a bit of a worrying experience. I was approaching a roundabout after a few miles at around 60mph, when I applied the brake there was very little response. Luckily I was able to stop in time and my brakes gradually improved after that. Could this be brake fade? If so what could be causing it? I've also felt as if the brakes are maybe sticking on as sometimes I feel as if the car is dragging as I accelerate.

Also I've felt as if there is a 'wobble/lumpy' feeling from the front when rolling at a slow speed, could this be warped discs?

Thanks

flatcap

03 1.5 Brake Fade - bathtub tom
I seems like it could be a sticking caliper, it's not unknown on these, especially on the rears. Together with your 'lumpy/wobble', I'd be checking my wheel nuts.

Did you ever resolve your earlier problems?

Hi

Thanks for your reply, I'll check the calipers soon as, could I lubicate these or would the need replaced?

I eventually got my earlier problems sorted out, couldnt find the thread on the forum to respond! Opened up a can of other worms though!

Thanks again

flatcap.
03 1.5 Brake Fade - Peter.N.
'Brake fade' is caused by the brakes overheating, and was quite common on the cars of yesteryear with small brakes, especially when driven by boy racers standing on the brakes at every junction or roundabout. In fact the linings became so polished that they were next to useless. This doesn't usually happen with modern large disc brakes, unless you have poor quality linings or drive very hard.

You could have a problem with overheating if they are binding but to cause that much friction you would also have a very poor fuel consumption and I am sure you would be able to smell them burning, especially when stopped. I think the problem is more likely to be caused by lack of servo assistance. I assume that the pedal is going 'hard' and not to the floor - which is a completely different set of problems.
The pedal felt just the same really, just that the car was taking ages to slow down. I dont drive the car very hard at all. I felt the car struggling when I was accelerating/cruising 5-10 mins before I had to brake.

I limped the car home and by the time I got there the brakes were working fine
03 1.5 Brake Fade - Peter.N.
Sounds like lack of servo assistance then. Check the pipe from the servo to the vacuum pump.
03 1.5 Brake Fade - jc2
Boiling fluid?;change to fresh.
I had a quick look under the bonnet and I seem to have a little leak from the pipe join on the master cylinder. Hope this isnt too major a job!
03 1.5 Brake Fade - bathtub tom
I wouldn't have thought that would give the symptons you descibed.
Perhaps if you could give a full description of the previous problems and how they were rectified it could help?
Hi

The previous problems werent related to the braking system, although it wouldnt surprise me if the garage working on it havent damaged the braking system as they managed to mess up the power steering!

Hoping I dont need to do any more work on this car!
03 1.5 Brake Fade - Cliff Pope
A very small degree of sticking in a caliper piston can cause exactly the symptoms you describe. The constant rubbing of pad on disk creates a drag, which generates heat which after a while starts to impair the efficiency of the brakes. After a stop it cools down, and the brakes recover.

1) Try letting the car coast very slowly. Does it come to a stop with a feeling as if the brakes were very slightly on?

2) Jack up each wheel in turn and spin it by hand. There should be a slight rub from the pads, virtually disappearing as you spin the wheel faster. Anything more than that indicates a caliper piston being reluctant to return fully. If only slight you may be able to free it up by removing the pad and levering the piston right back, then replacing the pad and operating the brakes. Repeat this a few times and it may free up.
I'll try that soon as. I've noticed a slight squeak as well from the back of the car when I either press or take my foot off the brake pedal.

I sometime feel I am getting a bit of rubbing when the car is slowly coasting.
03 1.5 Brake Fade/Rear Drums - flatcap
I've had a look around the brake system, I thought I had a leak at the master cylinder it appears I dont.

I've tested the front discs and pads, both seem fine and and the wheel are rotating relatively freely.

The rear drums I can still turn by hand when the foot brake is on, but cant when the handbrake is on - what could this point to?

flatcap
03 1.5 Brake Fade/Rear Drums - bathtub tom
I'm not familiar with this problem, and I thought I'd leave it for someone with more experience, however:

I'd guess you rear calipers are tight. The pressure reducing valve is doing its job, but they're not operating, but when they do, they stick on.

I suggest you invest in a Haynes, and strip them down.
Hi

Finally got this isue sorted, had to entrust it to a local branch of a national quick repair company as I need to use the car this week and dont have the time to do the work myself.

Needed 2 front calipers as one was scorched, front pads and new fluid. £541 though! All this on a motor that was MOT'd at the end of feb.

Thanks for all advice

flatcap
>>The rear drums I can still turn by hand when the foot brake is on,

Have you had your rear brakes sorted?
Hi

Yeah had the rears sorted, the guy doing the brakes thought the rear cylinders might need replaced but with new fluid and a good clean its freed them up.

Do you think my car would have passed an mot with me needing to replace all I had to 2 months and 400 miles down the line?

>>Do you think my car would have passed an mot with me needing to replace all I had to 2 months and 400 miles down the line?

The pass criteria isn't exactly challenging.